Graphics memory issues in P3D V5.1?

Thread: Graphics memory issues in P3D V5.1?

Graphics memory issues in P3D V5.1?

I came back to P3D V5.1 after an MSFS hiatus because I picked up the A2A B-17 on sale, and also figured it'd be fun to fly some of my other military planes. (And I'm not a fan of "hack" portovers into MSFS.)

But I keep getting crashes that I'm out of graphics memory. (RTX 3080 with 11GB of RAM!) Lowered the resolution, most graphics settings are at mid-range, and still having problems.

Anyone found magic settings to cure this? It's shocking how unstable 5.1 is due to this issue compared to earlier versions. I'd revert to 4.5, but I like using VR and it's much better in 5.1 than 4.5. Not to mention I spent the money on 5.x so it'd be nice to be able to use it...

Just finished a flight with no crashes in flight and got a "texture compositor/prepar3d will break" error at the end of the flight.

Hope Lockheed's F-35 software is more stable than this.

What CTD report says? I haven't any ctd from very long time on v5.1. This version for me is very stable.
    v5 genarates for me 6-8 VRAM, so it isnt very big of impact.
    Last edited by YoYo; December 30th, 2020 at 01:14.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

I’m using 5.1 regularly without any CTD’s.
    This version of P3D has been very stable for me.
    I7-6700K @ 4.3, ASUS Z170-P, 32GB DDR4 2133, RTX 2070 8GB, Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv5.3 HF2

I was getting DXGI errors in P3D V5.1 with the hotfix - the only resolution I have found so far is reduce FPS target from 60 to 30 or reduce Enhanced Atmospherics from Ultra down to mid or lower, or turn off bathemetry.

Apparently it may be related to how DX12 is utilising VRAM according to a video I saw on youtube describing the same symptoms. V5.1 ran perfectly well, it's only since the hotfix that something has broken.

I have a 3080 too with a i9 10900k processor, and it happens here too without tinkering with the settings.

I've had no acknowledgment on the P3D forums that an issue exists, but I do have a 10+ page thread on the hardware forum there, so hopefully someone sees it! Many others having similar or the same issues and the DXGI error.

I am with YoYo and Thunderstreak - I have a NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super (8GB) - running off an I5 10500 (16GB 3.1-5.2GHZ) , never had a CTD or even a flicker from it and I have all my settings basically at max. It was a clean new install of P3DV5.1. In fact never seen a system run so smoothly with maxed graphics etc. Sorry cannot help either.

DennyA - not very charitable response - sorry. The only things that I can think of to assist you are:

1) Is your Win10 installation uptodate - P3DV5 requires Win10 Build 2004.
    2) Are your drivers for your NVIDIA card uptodate as well.

3) There were a number of issues where users upgraded by modules or parts only, so it may be worthwhile to consider a fresh download and install.

I know 3 is a pain but if your using the xml addon method for addons and have your scenery addons outside of P3DV5 as well it is relatively painless unlike FSX to do this, takes a little bit of time but worth it to cure any ills. (Unless your an ORBX user and may have to do a lot more work with file verification installation checks)

CenturySeries is having the same issue I am. It's not a CTD, it's an error it flags in graphics memory allocation where it offers to either shut down the program or set all your graphics settings back to the minimum, due to a lack of memory. Putting an FPS cap of 30 on has helped reduce it (thanks, Centuryseries!) as has dropping the resolution. But P3D already looks so meh after MSFS I hate having to run at less than my monitor's native 3440x1440 resolution.

Saw the thread over at the P3D forum. There's really no excuse for this on a 10GB graphics card, so hopefully LM will get this sorted out.

Thanks for the suggestions, Bendyflyer. I did a full from scratch reinstall, all drivers and Win 10 are at newest versions.

DennyA - sorry to hear that. I was aware of that graphic card issue and P3D my understanding it was a bug in the cross over to 5.1 for earlier installation but I honestly have to say with the RTX 2070 Super and that is only 8GB and fresh new install I have had no problems at all so it is a mystery. It is a pity that NVIDIA could not be more helpful here. It could be a motherboard thing as well, I know I matched my CPU to the Motherboard and then the Graphic Card so it is Intel, MSI and NVIDIA. But I can sympathise with your frustration.

From all accounts I've read it has something to do with VRAM utilisation by DirectX12 in P3D 5.1 HF1. It may be that older cards are fine, and its only the newer ones that have the issue - most people with the DXGI error seem to have 3080 or 3090.

I just wish it would be acknowledged as there is no news on whether HF2, if there is one, will fix it.

Members who have read this thread: 0