My Last Ditch Effort at Correcting a Scenery Anomaly in FSX

Thread: My Last Ditch Effort at Correcting a Scenery Anomaly in FSX

My Last Ditch Effort at Correcting a Scenery Anomaly in FSX

Hello, Seasons Greetings, everyone !

I have a question for anyone familiar with addon scenery development in FSX.

I have REX Essentials (for airport ground textures, aprons, runways, water and sky/clouds/weather) and Orbx FTX Global, Vector, Open LC, and a slew of addon Orbx regions and airports.

Over the years, I have downloaded several scenery packs including both grass airstrips and concrete/asphalt runways/aprons etc.. from various sites/developers. Upon download and install in my FSX, I sometimes notice grass/dirt strips overlayed by a carefully placed asphalt runway. The various scenery creators often insist I must have some duplicate airport entries for these airports, hence I see the asphalt textures most likely from another scenery pack. After checking, however, I never find any other scenery present.

Simple Airport Scanner by ScruffyDuck also never finds any duplicate airport/airfield entries. Unchecking airport ground/runway/taxiway textures in REX Essentials does nothing. Running Orbx Vector AEC Tool does nothing.

So what is it in my FSX install, which insists on meticulously installing asphalt runways into scenery which have no such thing ?

The FSX default airports/airfields (with Orbx Global, Vector, Open LC and REX all running), display with correct runway material (grass, dirt, concrete, asphalt) etc., but after installing some scenery packs, asphalt runways show where grass/dirt runways should be.

Many times when this happens, I just learn to 'live with it', but sometimes the anomaly is just too obvious and I just uninstall the affected scenery pack.

This is a major disappointment for myself as so many of these sceneries are so beautifully designed, but the anomaly just takes away from all the immersion/enjoyment, if you know what I mean.
    Orbx, unfortunately and understandably so, will only offer limited help when it doesn't involve their scenery packs.

Below are a couple of before and after install pics, as an example :

As a side note, .... I recently downloaded Eagle Field V2 from SOH library, and the grass/dirt airstrip shows perfectly.

Mind boggling, no ?

Cheers,
    MZ
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

The bottom screenshot is of Mary Talbot Memorial. In this case there is another AFCAD interfering. The reason I say that is because had it been subtituting one texture for another, the rwy would still align correctly. This one does not. Something, somewhere is getting in the way. I assume you've already checked this (one of the first possibilities with something like this), but are all your addon sceneries sitting above all Orbx products?
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    The bottom screenshot is of Mary Talbot Memorial. In this case there is another AFCAD interfering. The reason I say that is because had it been subtituting one texture for another, the rwy would still align correctly. This one does not. Something, somewhere is getting in the way. I assume you've already checked this (one of the first possibilities with something like this), but are all your addon sceneries sitting above all Orbx products?
    Hi Ed,

Yes, all addon scenery is above Orbx stuff.
    The first picture above is FSX with all Orbx and REX textures active.
    Then I installed the scenery into Addon Scenery folder and the result was the second picture with the asphalt runway.

I did the same with Eagle Field V2 and I got the grass runway as advertised. No asphalt anywhere.
    Mind boggling, but I'll keep on investigating possible causes on the side - when I'm not too busy flying, lol !

Cheers,
    Milan .....
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

Members who have read this thread: 0