Catch-22 Pianosea airstrip
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catch-22 Pianosea airstrip

Hallo Ian,

just played a bit with my B-25.
    So I remembered the movie "Catch-22"
    Of course the airstrip at pianosa does not realy exists.
    I downloaded "Italy islands vfr part 2 MW".
    I believe it might be an interesting challenge to build this fictional airstrip there.
    It would be a nice add for the B-25 "Briefing Time".And as in the film it looks quiet summary,
    it would not to take a lot of time to do it I hope.
    Please Ian, do it for the FS2004 B-25's
    Yours
    Papi

Yeah, this is a great movie (and a magnificent novel !). That Yossarian is something.... But the clue of the novel is still working every day!

hertzie

Yes Hertzie,
    I agree what you say,
    so it would be nice if Ian or some one else would do us a nice FS2004 scenery.
    Also as we have the nice "briefing time" B-25 from MAAM which particpated in this movie.
    If I have well understood what I read about the making of the film, the real scene location was filmed at Santa Anna in California
    Yours
    Papi

Just for fun I did this Pianosa airfield.

According to the site https://www.aerovintage.com/catch22.htm the filming location was at Guyamas, Mexico. With FS9 it might look like that:

The B-25 of Tallmantz Aviation used in the movie where based at Orange County Airport, aka former Santa Ana Airfield.

Bernard

Thanks for the article-link! Very nice to read about the making of the movie, have never known that the B-25 scenes were filmed for the movie, have always thought it were scenes made in WW2.

hertzie

Hi to all,
    hope that we can soon get the scenery on this server
    Yours
    Papi

Im not really interested in what-if's, i like history and a geographical location to play with. i glad someone else has had a go, i have something in my half-finished box which may be a good alternative, watch out in a few days or so

Catch-22 Pianosa airstrip

Hallo Ian,
    I understand your point of view.
    Of course I did m own research and was astonished to find that Pianosa airstrip is not completely as fictional as one can think.
    as I found this:
    Pianosa
    (ITAL) (42 34 40 N – 10 04 10 E)
    General
    : emergency landing ground on Pianosa Island off the W coast of
    Italy between Elba and the NW coast of Corsica.
    History
    : believed to be
    one of the several hundred auxiliary landing grounds built during 1938-40 by
    the Italian Government.
    Surface and Dimensions
    : level dry rocky soil
    measuring approx. 1100 x 130 meters (1200 x 140 yards).
    Infrastructure
    :
    had a few barrack-type buildings 350 to 400 meters off the NE side.
    Remarks
    : none.
    [
    Sources
    : AFHRA A5262 p.2074 (Dec 44); chronologies; BA-MA; NARA;
    PRO/NA; web site ww2.dk]

I do not know if today rests of this airstrip still remain

I will continue to search

Yours
    Papi

Pianosa
    (ITAL)

According to above mentioned coordinates, the airfield, or a kind of airstrip, should have been here on Google Earth:

Bernard

Curiously there aren't any further informations about an airfield, besides the German site mentioned by Papi. Nevertheless i found this text issued from an Italian touristic review of Pianosa:

The guide who accompanied us on the bike tour was very prepared in describing the places but also in conveying the anger at the abandonment of the island. He told us that he is a lawyer, councilor of the Municipality of Campo del Elba and I believe he is the guide for his passion and love for his land. But some of his jokes left me a little perplexed. I have read about some "development" proposals from the Municipality that seemed too hasty to me, such as the construction of an airport on Pianosa (where during the Second World War there was a runway for the landing of German super-light aircraft)

Here a statement from an other site:

An airport on the island of Pianosa? The proposal comes from a councilor of the municipality of Campo on the island of Elba, as part of a tourism revitalization project, which also includes the former penitentiary island, administratively under the municipality of Elba. It would be a question of readjusting the old dirt track, now half buried by brambles and sown with holes.

Interesting anyway and completely neutral with regard to Catch-22. At least it's proved, that Pianosa had some 'aeronautical facilities'.

Bernard

Good evening Bernard,

did you stop the Pianosa airfield scenery?
    Or are still working on it?
    Even Ian have done the very nice Pompeji airstrip
    I hope you will make us your Pianosa airstrip avaible.
    Please
    Yours Papi

Fulvio Maazzokan has a photoscenery for Pianosa in his Italy Islands part2.zip (get it at Avsim)
    5 minutes work with AFCAD and hey presto! AN AIRSTRIP APPEARS

LIKE THIS ----> afcad in zip attached (Airport CODE LI22 you will be in middle of runway)

ttfnAttachment 80750
    Pete
    Last edited by Motormouse; January 6th, 2021 at 10:08.

Hi MM. How can I raise the runway height. I'm subsurface right now.
    Do not fear the enemy, for they can take only your life. Fear the media far more, for they will destroy your honour.

Quote Originally Posted by stoney View Post
    Hi MM. How can I raise the runway height. I'm subsurface right now.
    In Afcad you can set the airfield elevation, then add a taxiway the length of runway from threshold to threshold, that should do it . Are you using Mazzokans scenery as base?

Ttfn

Pete

Thanks MM. Yes, I'm using Fulvio Mazzokan's Small Islands of Italy part 1 and 2, plus, Pietro Mauri's IT Coastlines.
    Do not fear the enemy, for they can take only your life. Fear the media far more, for they will destroy your honour.

Catch 22 Pianosa airstrip

Hallo friends,
    also I'm using Fulvio Mazzokan's Small Islands of Italy part 1 and 2, plus, Pietro Mauri's IT Coastlines,
    but when I leave the proposed airstrip the ac "falls" down as if the runway is too high over the ground.
    also I tried to add taxiway and parkings.
    Brrr the outcome is not satisfying.
    Realy a nice scene as Ian did for pompeji would be realy fine
    Please to anyone to do it.
    For the Briefing Time B-25 a Dumbo livery and some little panel mods are in the tube
    Yours
    Papi

OK I don't have the Italian coastlines scenery, that is probably where the issue lies.

Ttfn

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by michaelvader View Post
    Hallo friends,
    also I'm using Fulvio Mazzokan's Small Islands of Italy part 1 and 2, plus, Pietro Mauri's IT Coastlines,
    but when I leave the proposed airstrip the ac "falls" down as if the runway is too high over the ground.
    also I tried to add taxiway and parkings.
    Brrr the outcome is not satisfying.
    Realy a nice scene as Ian did for pompeji would be realy fine
    Please to anyone to do it.
    For the Briefing Time B-25 a Dumbo livery and some little panel mods are in the tube
    Yours
    Papi

Papi, you could do it yourself there are free scenery placement utilities available rwy12 for example, that make it really quick and easy to do

Ttfn

Pete

Catch-22 Pianosa airstrip

Hallo,
    I' m sad really sad.
    Yes, of course I tried on my side to do this airstrip,
    but I can not resolve the problem the ac to fall down when leaving the runway perimeter.
    Also I must that I' m not weel in making sceneries.
    Also there is bizarre phenomen, The MAAM B-25 will not start their engines here,
    I go to another airport all goes well
    So I forget it and basta
    It made me enough head acke to try and now I passed enough time with some thing I do not have the required
    knowledge to understand
    Yours
    Papi

Hallo,
    I' m sad really sad.
    Yes, of course I tried on my side to do this airstrip,
    but I can not resolve the problem the ac to fall down when leaving the runway perimeter.
    Also I must that I' m not weel in making sceneries.
    Also there is bizarre phenomen, The MAAM B-25 will not start their engines here,
    I go to another airport all goes well
    So I forget it and basta
    It made me enough head acke to try and now I passed enough time with some thing I do not have the required
    knowledge to understand
    Yours
    Papi
    Papi ; I can't help if you have a different mesh or coastline scenery to that which I Have on MY system which is why you are getting issues with runway elevation only you guys can fix that for yourselves.

ttfn

Pete

Good evening Bernard,

did you stop the Pianosa airfield scenery?
    Or are still working on it?
    Even Ian have done the very nice Pompeji airstrip
    I hope you will make us your Pianosa airstrip avaible.
    Please
    Yours Papi
    Yes, I repositioned the airfield according the correct coordinates. However, I'm not a friend of partial photosceneries, as I'm using Silver Wing textures worldwide. Actually I get a runtime error. So I have to solve this problem first.

Bernard

Unfortunately the use of MAAM B-25 as AI causes prime time errors at both airfields (Pianosa and Guayamas) when they return to parking position. It doesn't occur with an other aircraft (Learjet). So that was it.

Bernard

Just in case you missed this...JohnYoung has made a very beautiful AI B-25.

From mobile hence short
    Cheers,
    Martin

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __
    The Owl's Nest * Military Aircraft Reference * ICAO Reference * Distance Calculator * MAIW, Military AI & UKMil Reference

Quote Originally Posted by gsnde View Post
    Just in case you missed this...JohnYoung has made a very beautiful AI B-25.

From mobile hence short
    Indeed, I wasn't aware. Thanks for the tip. Lets see whether it would be a suitable repaint.

Bernard

In that case....

John has also made the B-17, B-26, B-29 and the Lancaster from that type and period of time.

You will find these and all his other AI aircraft over at MAIW.

If you are going to do any reprints... please let me know! Many thanks

From mobile hence short
    Cheers,
    Martin

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __
    The Owl's Nest * Military Aircraft Reference * ICAO Reference * Distance Calculator * MAIW, Military AI & UKMil Reference

Members who have read this thread: 0