Video - New Wind Effects

Thread: Video - New Wind Effects

Icon22 Video - New Wind Effects

It's been over a year since the Spitfire Mk.II was released, which pioneered a lot of new features. We immediately began work on the Mk.V, and one would probably begin to wonder, "what's taking so long - they are nearly the same aircraft?!" Well, work has continued on adding even more new features and overriding more of the stock code for various features. Some of this will make it into the upcoming release, other parts are too intricate to be installed into existing installs, and will be held back until I can get a separate install built specifically to take advantage of various new discoveries. In the mean time, here is a video showcasing one of the new features that WILL be part of the Spitfire Mk.V release: New wind effects! I have turned down the engine sounds for this video so you can hear the wind better. In actuality, the roar of the engine will mask a lot of this most of the time, but the effects will be there underneath, filling in the background and coming more to the forefront when the engine isn't screaming away. There are several different new wind-related effects that can be heard here, some are fairly obvious, others less so - how many can you pick out?

https://youtu.be/IqgIT7712ao

Haha, the only thing I didn't like about the MkII was the fact that the windrush sound suddenly kicked in with full force when taking off and now you have taken care of that too! You have amazing talents!

OK, I like a challenge. This is what I 've found:
    - 'Propwash over airframe'-effect after starting the engine, varies with engine RPM (don't know what you tied it to, but how does it affect jet engined aircraft?)
    - 'Canopy open/closed'-effect
    - 'Side door open/closed'-effect
    - 'Head outside windshield'-effect (left & right)
    - 'Airspeed'-effect (takes care of my gripe)
    - 'Undercarriage in airstream'-effect
    - 'Flaps in airstream'-effect

This is sooo cool! Now I have a challenge for you: What about a smal 'dust blowing aft'-effect tied in with the propwash over the airframe? I noticed that when you leave the runway (or the area 'programmed' as such), the wheels start kicking up dust. Logically, the propwash should do the same...

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Awesome work ! A wonderful effect. Thank you,Scott

WOW!!This is a whole new level for CFS3!

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Clickity, click...
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Yeah Joost, I'd never liked the way it did that either, but I liked the silence after opening the canopy at 200 mph less! Now I've managed to simply get rid of the stock wind sound and substitute my own external code, which allows more kinds of effect and is controlled much more dynamically. Since it is external, it is customized to the aircraft, so a jet could just ignore the RPM factor. Right now the wind is controlled by referencing airspeed, RPM, canopy and door position, and eyepoint position. Different wav files are faded in and out based on these conditions. Separate effects are done for the flaps and gear, which track the position of each gear leg and flap independently.
    And yeah, I think you found them all! A few more may get added, we'll see.

RPM related dust (and grass cuttings, and water spray, and snow, and rain) effects would be nice, and it's been in the been in the back of my mind for quite some time. I don't know if it is possible at present. I would need much more control over the effects than I have at the moment. Sounds are relatively easy, since I can play them in the background while CFS3 runs and it sounds like it is part of the game when it isn't. Visual effects don't have that easy workaround as an option.

And for those of you who are wondering, this may have involved sticking my head out of open Cessna windows at various airspeeds and power settings. I realize this may result in a certain lack of authenticity, since it wasn't a Spitfire canopy I was leaning out of. However, I am fully committed to authenticity, and as soon as one of you funds about 25 hours of "research" time in a Spitfire, I will take one for the team and make the appropriate adjustments!

I could tell from the whole take off and landing procedure that a real pilot was in control! Now, unless someone has an actual recording of a Spitfire with the open canopy, I think a Cessna will do!

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Blog Entries
    Absolutely amazing Daniel!!! As James said, you can tell that a real pilot is in control of that aircraft, wonderful! .

I wish my landings were as smooth as that!
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

Ha ha ha!...fantastic, well done G..adds another level of realism.

Cheers

Shessi

Ha thanks guys. On the other hand, a real pilot shouldn't have let the coolant temp go past redline on takeoff and should have put up the flaps after landing! I have found the new wind effect to be helpful in judging speed on landing. It gives a much better sense of when you are getting a bit slow and provides a bit more "feel", for lack of a better word, to the aircraft. Once you fly a few good approaches by the numbers, after that you'll be able to hear if it sounds right.

Members who have read this thread: 0