If I were to reinstall FSX

Thread: If I were to reinstall FSX

If I were to reinstall FSX

Now that I have a few add on's under my belt If I wanted to clean house and start out with Fresh FSX and follow Nickns installatiin procedure to the letter. How does one go about reinstalling all the downloaded (payware) programs. I do have all of the downloads kept in a file on my desktop. Do I just click on each download that I want and it will reinstall again or will there be issues? Have not chartered this road yet and seems like it would be a hassel.

Jim

Lightbulb

It's best to completely un-install all your payware & freeware first...

harleyman
    If you are talking about stuff from Flight1 you just run the installer, and select reinstall, not purchase, then you browse it to your key that you have for it......(came with install and also is ina folder on your C drive under Flight 1 software) (save that folder too)...

If all fails you can come back and ask more..Each program installer is different, and some use your logon name and password...

Not that hard..You still can from their website get that info anytime day or night, its automatic)

First of all, you have to save a copy of your FSX.cfg somewhere. It's not for the settings inside, but I'm sure you don't want to confirm all those gauges again. On the next install, you will just have to copy and paste the "trusted" section of the old FSX.cfg into the new one.

Then uninstall all the payware products.
    Then, uninstall the support packages (SP2 or Acceleration first, then SP1, both from the "add/remove programs" menu in the control panel)
    Then, uninstall FSX.
    Finally, clear the registry (just to be sure) and delete everything that was stored into the folder that contains FSX.cfg.

harleyman
    Confirm all the guages??????

What dat mean Willis????

When flying FS9 planes or FSX planes that still use non-XML gauges, you can get quite an annoying amount of stupid popups asking you if you want to execute them. Each time you confirm a gauge, an entry is created in the FSX.cfg so that it doesn't ask anymore afterwhile. Keeping this gauge list is quite helpfull when you reinstall.

harleyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    When flying FS9 planes or FSX planes that still use non-XML gauges, you can get quite an annoying amount of stupid popups asking you if you want to execute them. Each time you confirm a gauge, an entry is created in the FSX.cfg so that it doesn't ask anymore afterwhile. Keeping this gauge list is quite helpfull when you reinstall.

Never knew that...Never had that offer in FSX yet..But I remember getting it alot in FS9..It is annoying too...LOL

Thanks guys for the info. Sounds like quite a job to clean house. Will have to think about it. It is for minor reasons that I want to do this. I have been getting a bit spoiled with all the add on's and with REX and TrafficX turned on High and then setting my Fsx sliders almost to full to enjoy the experience! So I have fallen in love with setting I can only have for awhile becasue I know the system will crash within 30min with the out of memory message. I tried AlacrityPC last night and turned everything up but still got the error so today I will try tuning the virtual address space and see what happens. Otherwise I can always tone it down just a bit and fly without the error.... NO....I WANT MORE, THE PRECIOUS..Smigel wants the Precious!!!

harleyman
    Did you do the boot ini rewrite? that seemed to help mine...Plus turn off drive indexing can help some....

Quote Originally Posted by harleyman View Post
    Did you do the boot ini rewrite? that seemed to help mine...Plus turn off drive indexing can help some....
    Not sure what the "boot ini rewrite" is? Do I have to sell a part of my body to make it happen?

Jim

Going out now for a test flight to see if my other tweaks worked.

After tuning the virtual address space to 2560 as per Nickn I took the same flight I took last night and no error this time. Hope this did it but I know the computer can get your hopes up and then smash ya down again. In the real world I woke up to a flat tire on the car right in my driveway. Thats the way to get them if your going to get them. So time to go be the handy man.

Jim