Cessna 172 Tundra
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cessna 172 Tundra

Cessna 172 Tundra

Merry Christmas everyone. I hope and pray you all are safe, warm, well and happy. I saw this Cessna 172 Tundra posted yesterday on Flightsim and thought I'd share the link if that's ok. I really enjoy flying the bush in Alaska and the absolute freedom to explore places I will never see for real...except through various excellent sceneries in FSX.

FSX/P3D v4/v5 Native Cessna 172 Tundra

"FSX/P3D v4/v5 Native Cessna 172 Tundra. The Cessna 172 Skyhawk is an all-metal, single-engine, four-seat, high-wing light utility aircraft, produced by Cessna Aircraft Company between 1958 and 1962. Some Cessnas were converted for bush and tundra flying with big wheels and a more powerful engine. Three native models for FSX/ Prepar3D v4,v5 by A.F. Scrub."

Link: https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib...rchid=82352881

Quote Originally Posted by p14u2nv View Post
    Merry Christmas everyone. I hope and pray you all are safe, warm, well and happy. I saw this Cessna 172 Tundra posted yesterday on Flightsim and thought I'd share the link if that's ok. I really enjoy flying the bush in Alaska and the absolute freedom to explore places I will never see for real...except through various excellent sceneries in FSX.

FSX/P3D v4/v5 Native Cessna 172 Tundra

"FSX/P3D v4/v5 Native Cessna 172 Tundra. The Cessna 172 Skyhawk is an all-metal, single-engine, four-seat, high-wing light utility aircraft, produced by Cessna Aircraft Company between 1958 and 1962. Some Cessnas were converted for bush and tundra flying with big wheels and a more powerful engine. Three native models for FSX/ Prepar3D v4,v5 by A.F. Scrub."

Link: https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib...rchid=82352881
    Link is dead..

Its the same one thats available right here at the Outhouse by afscrub
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...sna-172-Tundra
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Link is dead..
    cessna172_tundra.zip in the Fltsim.com Library.
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Engine Dying

I really like this and flew it from PAKN King Salmon to PAHC Holy Cross up in Alaska a few days ago after downloading and installing. When I retard the throttle all the way to taxi or idle the engine shuts down. If I leave the throttle cracked for 900-1000 RPM its ok but a little fast. Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    I really like this and flew it from PAKN King Salmon to PAHC Holy Cross up in Alaska a few days ago after downloading and installing. When I retard the throttle all the way to taxi or idle the engine shuts down. If I leave the throttle cracked for 900-1000 RPM its ok but a little fast. Anyone else?
    I made the following aircraft config changes and works great :

[GeneralEngineData]
    engine_type = 0 //0=Piston, 1=Jet, 2=None, 3=Helo-Turbine, 4=Rocket, 5=Turboprop
    Engine.0 = 2.4, 0.0, 0.0 //(feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datum
    ThrustAnglesPitchHeading.0 = 0,0 //Thrust pitch and heading angles in degrees (+pitch down, +heading right)
    fuel_flow_scalar= 0.88 //Fuel flow scalar
    min_throttle_limit = 0.10 //Minimum percent throttle. Generally negative for turbine reverser was 0.0

[piston_engine]
    power_scalar = 1.0
    cylinder_displacement= 60 (360 cu in)
    compression_ratio= 7.50
    number_of_cylinders= 6
    max_rated_rpm= 2600.00
    max_rated_hp= 220.00
    fuel_metering_type= 0
    cooling_type= 0
    normalized_starter_torque= 0.25
    turbocharged= 0
    max_design_mp= 0.00
    min_design_mp= 0.00
    critical_altitude= 0.00
    emergency_boost_type= 0
    emergency_boost_mp_offset= 0.00
    emergency_boost_gain_offset= 0.00
    fuel_air_auto_mixture= 0
    auto_ignition= 0
    fuel_flow_scalar=1.00
    max_rpm_mechanical_efficiency_scalar=1.00
    idle_rpm_mechanical_efficiency_scalar=1.00
    max_rpm_friction_scalar=1.00
    idle_rpm_friction_scalar=1.00
    power_scalar=1.70 // was 1.50

[propeller]
    propeller_type= 0
    propeller_diameter= 6.950
    propeller_blades= 2
    propeller_moi= 5.70
    beta_max= 30.00
    beta_min= 12.00
    min_gov_rpm=1000.00
    prop_tc= 0.10
    gear_reduction_ratio= 1.00
    fixed_pitch_beta= 0.00
    low_speed_theory_limit= 80.00
    prop_sync_available= 0
    prop_deice_available= 0
    prop_feathering_available= 0
    prop_auto_feathering_available= 0
    min_rpm_for_feather= 0.00
    beta_feather= 0.00
    power_absorbed_cf= 0
    defeathering_accumulators_available= 0
    prop_reverse_available= 0
    minimum_on_ground_beta= 0.00
    minimum_reverse_beta= 0.00
    thrust_scalar=1.40 // was 1.10

YMMV, as they say. (Also I fly with auto-mixture unchecked, as have too many A2A birds.)

Hope this helps.
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

Thank You

I will make these and check it out later. Thanks

You may want to check out the excellent Soloy turbine conversion (plus tundra) Cessnas that are available right here at SOH. These are essentially Cessnas on steroids. The aircraft are beautifully modelled and add the muscle needed for short, unpaved runnways. The pontoon versions are equally impressive.

Thank you for the update MZee.

I have the Soloy conversion tundra version for about a year now and I must say that is surely payware quality. Excellent power. Thank you downwind.

Quote Originally Posted by p14u2nv View Post
    Thank you for the update MZee.

I have the Soloy conversion tundra version for about a year now and I must say that is surely payware quality. Excellent power. Thank you downwind.
    Glad to help ! .... and Yes, the Soloy conversions are worth their weight in gold !
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

Another c172 Tundra (cargo version).

It's payware from Aeroproyecto but not too expensive.
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020-9-9_22-46-40-907.jpg   2020-9-9_22-47-2-676.jpg   2020-10-3_18-7-4-279.jpg   2020-10-3_18-7-20-119.jpg  

Thanks but

Quote Originally Posted by scotsman View Post
    Another c172 Tundra (cargo version).

It's payware from Aeroproyecto but not too expensive.
    Mike
    unless they changed, its Xplane not FSX

The Aeroproyecto Cessna 172N Beast with the tundra tires is for FSX and P3D up through version 4. It's not for X-Plane. It's available at JustFlight.

Mike

Yes, a very nice rendition. Can recommend without hesitation. Sold through PCAviator as well so you can save 10% on various days.

Quote Originally Posted by mikew View Post
    The Aeroproyecto Cessna 172N Beast with the tundra tires is for FSX and P3D up through version 4. It's not for X-Plane. It's available at JustFlight.

Mike

The Cessna 172 Tundra mod is compatible with most default FSX C172 repaints.

Also to remove those window reflections from all default FSX aircraft try this replacement texture file and have clean and clear views :
    https://flyawaysimulation.com/downlo...t-reflections/
    Cheers, MZee ...

In P3D V4.5 some of the gauges are missing. In the taildragger all the gauges are there. I tried to copy the taildraggers panel to the tundra and it didn't change anything.

In P3D V4.5 some of the gauges are missing. In the taildragger all the gauges are there. I tried to copy the taildraggers panel to the tundra and it didn't change anything.

I found a replacement C172 panel that fills in the missing gauges.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downlo...-cessna-172sp/

None of the lights work in P3D 4.5 for any Cessna 172 variants. The light switches move but no lights. Was advertised to work with P3D4.

None of the lights work in P3D 4.5 for any Cessna 172 variants. The light switches move but no lights. Was advertised to work with P3D4.

Did that include the new panel you put in, Butch?
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    Did that include the new panel you put in, Butch?
    Actually, none of Scrubbs C-172's lights work in P3D4.5 - Taildragger/tundra -
    The toggle light switches move on/off but no lights anywhere. I've put it in the
    hanger till a fix for it happens.

Reinstated the Cessna's. All the lights work (somehow my gauges folder went AWOL.) Had that backed up....pheww.....

Using another program that will restore all the gauges to the Tundra. All the gauges have repopulated. Sometimes, the tundra will start then quit, then another restart with the throttle cracked a bit more and the engine will keep running.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/6344/fsx-panel-and-fde-for-default-cessna-172sp/

Possible adjustment in the engine section of the aircraft.cfg for piston friction to keep the engine running at idle. I'll look further for the exact parameter.

[piston_engine]
    idle_rpm_friction_scalar= 1.0 reduce this number
    Last edited by MrZippy; January 12th, 2021 at 06:28.

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    Possible adjustment in the engine section of the aircraft.cfg for piston friction to keep the engine running at idle. I'll look further for the exact parameter.

[piston_engine]
    idle_rpm_friction_scalar= 1.0 reduce this number
    See post #6 ^ - I had to reuse that info and throttle seems ok on idle now, not cutting out.

I have to admit I tend to cringe every time I see this "issue" on a flight sim forum. Invariably the 'solution' is to rip the airplane apart and "fix" it but, it's not really the airplane's fault.
    From the C172N Pilot's Handbook:

"During engine starting, open the throttle approximately 1/ 8 inch. In
    warm temperatures, one or two strokes of the primer should be sufficient.
    In cold weather, up to six strokes of the primer may be necessary. If the
    engine is warm, no priming will be required. In extremely cold temperatures,
    it may be necessary to continue priming while cranking the engine.

If the engine is underprimed (most likely in cold weather with a cold
    engine) it will not fire at all, and additional priming will be necessary. As
    soon as the cylinders begin to fire, open the throttle slightly to keep it
    running."

(my emphasis)

- Typically, keep it ~1000 rpm until pressures and temps start to rise, then throttle can be reduced to idle - may vary with OAT and altitude.
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/13...ssna-172n.html

There's no automatic choke as in a car which is why the throttle must be opened slightly until the temps rise, just like a 1940's Ford.
    - I'm here all week. Please remember to tip your server. Drive safely on your way home -

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Members who have read this thread: 1