INITIAL RELEASE: Grumman Goose G21A Redux II - Page 7
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: INITIAL RELEASE: Grumman Goose G21A Redux II

If you roll into the water from land with the gear down, you can go back - but it's still rough. If you roll into the water and then raise the gear, you're stuck unless you take off and then set back down on land with the gear.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

work in progress:
    jk0563

but where did it find that registration on the rudder, and how do I get rid of it?
    jk0562
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

You have to use the panel.cfg trick to get rid of the Registration number decal as far as I know. Maybe OzWookie has some tips on Registration Number removal since he's been delving into the modeling side of it?

For this plane, add the panel.cfg and panel.xml to the aircraft.cfg and layout.json, and change these lines in the panel.cfg

Code:
    [VPainting02]
    size_mm    = 1024,256
    texture    = RegistrationNumber_ext
    location = exterior

painting00=Registration/Registration.html?font_color=black, 0, 0, 0, 0

and I have an additional problem.
    The windows are not transparant on this paint:
    jk0560

It's really annoying, I'm trying to make my Goose paints drag and drop, so far I tried 4 different ones, all of them have the rego on the rudder, which is not defined anywhere in the aircraft.cfg, texture.cfg or any other file, so where does the sim find it?
    And two of my paints have opaque windows, the two others have not. Everything is identical, apart from the texture files, so is it a texture thing? But how? I made them in the same way, the same size, the same format. I have no idea....
    Weird detail: in my sim, the N121GL (of rudder rego fame) paint that came with the download also has opaque windows. Do you guys see that too, or is it just me?

Look, transparant windows on another paint with identical files apart from the painted texture files:
    jk0567

You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    If you roll into the water from land with the gear down, you can go back - but it's still rough. If you roll into the water and then raise the gear, you're stuck unless you take off and then set back down on land with the gear.
    Same issue with ASOBOs on Icon A5, tried every trick in the book I could think of to make the gear come down in the water--no dice.

And the L-19 Amphib also can not lower the gear to taxi out of the water once you are down. I have managed to land that one with gear down, obviously a no-no IRL, and not get an overstress crash. And then you can taxi out of the water.

So it is a MSFS general issue not to allow sea-planes to lower gear once on the water.

Cheers
    Sunny.

Jankees, you can remove the numbers on the rudder by the "ATC Options" menu. Just clear the box.
    Also, because I'm doing a repaint for the Goose as well, I found when you create a new file from the "...2A_T.PNG.DDS" file which contains the engines and windows, you have to create a new alpha. On the bottom right corner of that texture, you'll notice the window shapes. On a new Alpha, paint everything white, except those window shapes. Give them a black value above 0. I found 25, 25, 25 gives a decent opacity, although it's a little cloudy, you can experiment with the black values. There are draw issues with the windows anyway but you can get them see through again by creating a new alpha. I tried exporting as a bitmap instead of PNG and converted to a .DDS and the alpha stuck. On the .PNG, the alpha was lost everytime. I can elaborate further later on after work. Hope this helps.

Doug

Doug, brilliant, you solved all my problems in one stroke, thank you!

jk0579

jk0598

jk0601

uploading tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    and I have an additional problem.
    The windows are not transparant on this paint:
    jk0560

It's really annoying, I'm trying to make my Goose paints drag and drop, so far I tried 4 different ones, all of them have the rego on the rudder, which is not defined anywhere in the aircraft.cfg, texture.cfg or any other file, so where does the sim find it?
    And two of my paints have opaque windows, the two others have not. Everything is identical, apart from the texture files, so is it a texture thing? But how? I made them in the same way, the same size, the same format. I have no idea....
    Weird detail: in my sim, the N121GL (of rudder rego fame) paint that came with the download also has opaque windows. Do you guys see that too, or is it just me?

Look, transparant windows on another paint with identical files apart from the painted texture files:
    jk0567

The Transparent windows vs. the non transparent windows has to do with the paint file (not the PBR file) you may have inadvertently deleted the alpha channel for the windows OR exported to .dds using a COLOR ONLY format and it needs COLOR + ALPHA in order to enable the transparency for the glass.

EDIT: OOPS! should have kept reading! lol
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

whats the defualt key to drop floats in fs2020
    Thursday, November 27 2014 I Lost My Best Friend My Uncle! He Was Amazing person He was a volunteer For Las Vegas metro Police he will be missed, I Volunteer with him Many Times With LVMPD And USFS

THOMAS CURTIS
    Thursday Nov 27th 2014

==Punisher of Arizona == Thin Blue Line

Bare metal on the Goose looks amazing. I need to know how that's done. The realism of this repaint I'm working on would go through the roof! I've searched and found bits I understand, but a breakdown would be very helpful, a tutorial perhaps. Any help would be appreciated. I'm using Paintshop Pro and Gimp 2.10.22. Thanks.

jk0601

uploading tomorrow
    Thank you very much. My Grumman Goose experience was incomplete without Cutter's livery!!

SOH-CM-2020
    Is there any chance that the Mount Cook Airlines livery could be converted to work in FSX please?

I've been looking for ages for this one.

Thanks.

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteHam View Post
    Is there any chance that the Mount Cook Airlines livery could be converted to work in FSX please?

I've been looking for ages for this one.

Thanks.

Pete.
    I can have a look at it this weekend?

SOH-CM-2020
    I can have a look at it this weekend?

Thank you

Pete.

Hi, just a couple questions re the Goose:

1) Lowering/raising the wing floats with the cockpit switches is somewhat erratic. Is there a shortcut key for that?

2) The throttle lever in my joystick only controls engine #1, so I need to use F2/F3 to control both engines at once. Any solution for that?

Thanks in advance, best regards.

I have converted all my paints to drag & drop textures, and uploaded them on flightsim.to.
    The library here wouldn't cooperate this morning, but I may update them here later as well.

jk0058

jk0054

jk0073

jk0016

jk0013

I painted one "the old fashion way", you know, painstakingly by hand with layers in Paintshop Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Fnerg View Post
    I painted one "the old fashion way", you know, painstakingly by hand with layers in Paintshop Pro.
    Nice!! Any chances to see a screenshot here?

I did upload a few more paints for this nice bird recently:

jk1121

jk1159

jk1133

jk1150

How do you share those big beautiful shots? I've got my photos ready at Flickr.

How do you share those big beautiful shots? I've got my photos ready at Flickr.

With the BB link from flickr

Lovely shots. Did you do that repaint? Is it available somewhere?
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Yes I did thank you. It's not finished, I'm stuck on a few things. I put it down for a bit until I learn some of these new ways of doing things for the sim. I hope to make it available soon. Thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 4