KBT update to L-188? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: KBT update to L-188?

Expat I think the rear stairs was on the P3 not the L188.

GreyEagle - re the engine data, yes it is out of whack - something to look at later I am afraid. The problem there is matching correct data for props and engine with the air file - not impossible actually but again another one on the make work schedule for the new year

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    Expat I think the rear stairs was on the P3 not the L188.

GreyEagle - re the engine data, yes it is out of whack - something to look at later I am afraid. The problem there is matching correct data for props and engine with the air file - not impossible actually but again another one on the make work schedule for the new year

As far as the Prop MOI adjustments, they used to spin way too much after shutting the engine(s) down. I remember having this issue in FSX and used the same remedy for P3D.

Butch
    Last edited by gray eagle; December 18th, 2020 at 12:44.

Engine Startup

It looks like there isn't a way for a manual engine startup, so it looks like CTRL + E is the only way to do this. Speaking of which, when I do the CTRL +E, sometimes only #1 engine will spool up and

the others will just sit idle. Other times, CTRL + E will start 1/2/3/4 in succession with no issues. It seems a bit temperamental at times. Where there any gauges to install with the L-188?

Over at Avsim I noticed a file named fskbt_l188_fix.zip

I wonder if anyone has use the KBT P3 panel or if that would alleviate the manual startup issue? Looking inside the gauge folder there is an XML file that reads for FS2004.

Over at avsim there is a file fskbt_l188_fix.zip and wonder if the file is necessary for P3D V4 use?

https://library.avsim.net/search.php...nMode=0&Page=2

https://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=172012

GrayEagle - The starter switch is inoperable in the VC mode you have to bring up the 2D overhead. This is one of the various switch and VC issues that are being worked on. The logic of the relationship between VC and 2d is also a back to front for some reason. You will only get the light switches, battery master, fuel cut off, generator and starters in the 2d panel. They do not correspond to the VC and basically most of the VC overhead is for show only.
    Can't seem to view the overhead where the start switch is located. Can you please show me a picture of this?
    Having issues as of late with the Ctrl + E autostart. Most of the time, only engine 1 will light off. Other times the other engines will light off either right away or after
    a long delay.
    Not sure what is causing that.

I took this screenshot of my KBT P-3C Orion several years ago showing the engine start switches.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3 Engine start switches.JPG 
Views:	571 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	80648
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    I took this screenshot of my KBT P-3C Orion several years ago showing the engine start switches.

Those switches are not functional in the Lectra 188. They are in the P3C. From what I've heard, they have can be manually started in the 2D panel for the L-188 and finding
    the start switch in the 2D panel for the L-188 is what I am asking. I can view part of the 2D panel overhead, but not enough to show the start switch.

I have the L-188 looking ok in P3DV5.1, but (even though the throttles are at full) the aircraft will not go above 24-25kts. My throttle is calibrated, and works fine on all other aircraft..... NC

Auto engine start

Sometimes, when I do the CTRL + E, only engine #1 will start. I've noticed that before an engine start, if I cycle the joystick throttle back and forth a few cycles and then do the CTRL + E,
    the engines will start one after another.

I have the panel created by Paul Strogen for the original Lockheed L-188 Electra model by Mike Stone and have tried to use this panel for the LBT L-188 to no avail.
    I've tried to substitute this panel in the aircraft.cfg folder and I don't see any difference from the stock panel.

EDIT: When I read the Strogen panel was for the Mike Stone FS2004 L-188 I then thought this may not be compatible for P3D4/5 sim and perhaps why when I tried
    to substitute this panel for the stock one that I saw no difference.

I also noticed that SHIFT +2 shows a popup panel that provides door control buttons to open/close front and aft doors and any ladders.

LBT P3C and L-188 panels

I am trying to install the KBT P3C Panel over to the KBT L-188. In doing so, I noticed that the throttle and starter switches do not move in the Electra whereas they
    do in the P3C

In the latest version of their P3 P-3C Orion FSX v331 dx10-20210101T174404Z-001.zip it contains
    panel=The general-purpose virtual cockpit for the P-3 series which I copied over to the L-188 folder and
    changed the panel entry to match what was in the Orion. When I opened one of the L-188s, I noted that the
    starter and throttle switches were still frozen. In the P3 panel readme it says This panel was created by Paul Strogen for the original
    Lockheed L-188 Electra model by Mike Stone.
    I would of thought it would of worked for the Electra.This switches move in the P3 sim but not for the L-188 Electra........

This is link to KBT stuff

https://viperhiro.wordpress.com/

I've found the upper panel where the start switches are in the L188. (Shift + 6) From there, I can initiate the engine start.

Still don't understand why the panel in the P3 with functioning starter switches (VC Cockpit) will not function in the Electra.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    I am trying to install the KBT P3C Panel over to the KBT L-188. In doing so, I noticed that the throttle and starter switches do not move in the Electra whereas they
    do in the P3C

In the latest version of their P3 P-3C Orion FSX v331 dx10-20210101T174404Z-001.zip it contains
    panel=The general-purpose virtual cockpit for the P-3 series which I copied over to the L-188 folder and
    changed the panel entry to match what was in the Orion. When I opened one of the L-188s, I noted that the
    starter and throttle switches were still frozen. In the P3 panel readme it says This panel was created by Paul Strogen for the original
    Lockheed L-188 Electra model by Mike Stone.
    I would of thought it would of worked for the Electra.This switches move in the P3 sim but not for the L-188 Electra........

I've found the upper panel where the start switches are in the L188. (Shift + 6) From there, I can initiate the engine start.

Still don't understand why the panel in the P3 with functioning starter switches (VC Cockpit) will not function in the Electra.
    GrayEagle - the reason is the model mapping the four switches on the left are actually not linked to the starter switches but fuel systems and they do not function properly and the four red ones are tagged in the model as mixture switches which of course is a nonsense also in a jet engine/turboprop. At the moment the only start method is from the popup overhead and that can be flaky yes the same as CTL+E can be as well. The reason the P3 wont work in the L188 is the model files are different so in the VC they do different things depending on whether it is the P3 or the L188 even though they look the same. A few of us are working on it and the overhead starter button and selector now appears to be functional but the whole thing is a mess and it starts with the model and then goes through the VC alas. Frankly I am not confident a lot of these issues can be overcome at the moment, for instance the autopilot is a nightmare as well, you fix one thing and it breaks something else and so it goes. At the moment it is a low priority I think for some of us. See what the new year brings maybe!

GrayEagle - the reason is the model mapping the four switches on the left are actually not linked to the starter switches but fuel systems and they do not function properly and the four red ones are tagged in the model as mixture switches which of course is a nonsense also in a jet engine/turboprop. At the moment the only start method is from the popup overhead and that can be flaky yes the same as CTRL+E can be as well. The reason the P3 wont work in the L188 is the model files are different so in the VC they do different things depending on whether it is the P3 or the L188 even though they look the same. A few of us are working on it and the overhead starter button and selector now appears to be functional but the whole thing is a mess and it starts with the model and then goes through the VC alas. Frankly I am not confident a lot of these issues can be overcome at the moment, for instance the autopilot is a nightmare as well, you fix one thing and it breaks something else and so it goes. At the moment it is a low priority I think for some of us. See what the new year brings maybe!
    Thanks for the info. For the time being, I have managed to locate the upper panel in the electra (Shift + 6) and take it from there.
    I have noted on occasion, that the CTRL + E will start all four engines if I move cycle my joystick forward/back then CTRL + E watch each
    engine start. Wierd. I know that was same procedure to make the ladder door open and ladder extend. If you switch to VC, advance then retard the throttles, it seems to clear it and you can operate the exits & stairs normally. Strange stuff

Greyeagle - Indeed. One day for me the stairs work and the next they will not no matter what even with the door/stair xml mod posted previously.

The work on the L188 has progressed better than expected. The VC has been extensively remodelled to a point but has much better functionality and logic sufficient to do away with the old 2D popups. New gauges and instruments have been added, the air file and aircraft config files have been reworked. Summary - few little things to sort out but the Passenger version now flies like the real thing with accurate gauges and power settings, most of the VC is now functional and there are a few new surprise mods.

This is really to say because the model has been changed we really need KBT's permission to consider any public distribution or to do any upload in the near future. So here's hoping that the good guys at KBT see this thread and post.

Just a taste of where we are at the moment.

A footnote re the Electra. There are a number of issues with the lights. These issues are common in FSX aircraft that can be used in P3DV5. That old bug of the VC lights being turned off or on only a dawn and dusk manifests itself but has flown on affects. There is also the bleed through issue that is the effects light landing lights work but produce a shading in the VC. There are number of payware models have the same issue and it has something to do with the way light is processed now with EA and HD graphics in P3DV5. Very difficult to solve at the moment - there are multiple processes occuring now to have a light, not just a simple call to show and effect file. Hmmm. So still a WIP with caveats.

A footnote re the Electra. There are a number of issues with the lights. These issues are common in FSX aircraft that can be used in P3DV5. That old bug of the VC lights being turned off or on only a dawn and dusk manifests itself but has flown on affects. There is also the bleed through issue that is the effects light landing lights work but produce a shading in the VC. There are number of payware models have the same issue and it has something to do with the way light is processed now with EA and HD graphics in P3DV5. Very difficult to solve at the moment - there are multiple processes occuring now to have a light, not just a simple call to show and effect file. Hmmm. So still a WIP with caveats.
    I don't know if it is even related, but the Aerosoft Tomcat's afterburner effect barely shows up in P3DV5. 1. It is only somewhat visible in low light. NC

L-188 Update

Quick notice - work is well advanced now with the rebuild of the KBT L-188 for P3DV5. Last tidy up is underway and off course checking. A pure P3DV5 compatible Electra with VC only. I guess in the absence of a negative we may assume KBT will have not objections - full attribution all over. A lot of folk in one way or another have contributed to this. P3DV5 has proved tricky in some areas but the outcome is we hope the longevity of this great model by KBT with impeccable lines. How long? Maybe a month at the most.

Looking good

Test - Test - Test

Great work. Backward compatible with P3D 4.5 I hope?
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Mike,

I hope this will work with P3D V4.5 -

I cannot see why it should not work in V4.5. The changes are all done in V5.1 but it is all 64 bit gauges etc and at this time no PBR changes to the textures - the older DDS5 textures work fine as you can see above. We have had a number of issues with the fx.effects side of the model but then again so does everybody else. Mostly resolved. Still smoothing out some integrated avionics-AP issues and the handling (trim and CoG). A number of new xml gauges had to be developed to make this happen but it is also all mouse driven or clickable with sounds etc. There are a couple of popups - they just support what is already on the panel and to make changes on those systems a little easier to handle - eg the Autopilot.

Did this ever get released after all this work?
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Well I also now have P3D V5.3 so I am looking forward to the L-188 release for P3DV5.

I cannot see why it should not work in V4.5. The changes are all done in V5.1 but it is all 64 bit gauges etc and at this time no PBR changes to the textures - the older DDS5 textures work fine as you can see above. We have had a number of issues with the fx.effects side of the model but then again so does everybody else. Mostly resolved. Still smoothing out some integrated avionics-AP issues and the handling (trim and CoG). A number of new xml gauges had to be developed to make this happen but it is also all mouse driven or clickable with sounds etc. There are a couple of popups - they just support what is already on the panel and to make changes on those systems a little easier to handle - eg the Autopilot.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Did this ever get released after all this work?
    I don't think it has. I believe it comes down to getting permission from FS KBT. I somehow managed to get permission from them to do the airtanker variants only. Which I do have slated to take these updates provided to me by BendyFlyer and release the overhauled variants with PBR added to them. Hopefully before June.

Which speaking of which I need to get back with Bendy as I seem to have accidently deleted the message for it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	electra20.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	408.1 KB 
ID:	86167

Aerial Firefighting Aircraft Development & Simulation Group
    Simulated Air Tanker Operations Facebook! <<click
    SATO Youtube Channel! <<click

Would your permission also logically allow you to release a completely standard KBT Electra (non tanker) model with the PBR added? I cannot imagine they would object.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Would your permission also logically allow you to release a completely standard KBT Electra (non tanker) model with the PBR added? I cannot imagine they would object.
    If maybe I'd asked for a more open modification to it, then probably wouldn't be a likely issue. But I asked only for the airtanker versions and was specifically told the permission was only for the tanker versions. Therein lies the kink unfortunately. And really, I had been looking for a way to contact them at the time and asked people here if there was a way, because I couldn't find a single way to. And just out of shear luck it seems, they responded to the thread and gave me permission.

Aerial Firefighting Aircraft Development & Simulation Group
    Simulated Air Tanker Operations Facebook! <<click
    SATO Youtube Channel! <<click

Expat The KBT Electra was completely redone for P3DV5 but not made publicly available as KBT have not provided any advice or permissions to do so. It is not PBR but I don't think it really needs it a lot of paints about were of very good quality indeed. As for KBT tried and tried to contact them, even messages to their active web development page (They are working on a Japanese flying Boat) but not a peep or hint from them at all. Sorry. PM me for further information and advice.

Members who have read this thread: 3