Coming soon to a carrier near you
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coming soon to a carrier near you

SOH-CM-2022

Coming soon to a carrier near you

The kind people over at The Classic Warbirds Design Team have allowed me to convert their old FS9 payware Grumman Hellcat package to FSX standards.

The models have been update to FSX native and the loadouts (tanks, bombs, rockets) are triggered when you assign the appropriate weights to the payloads.

There is some last minute tweaking of the effects files still to be done.

Gavin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F6F-3.jpg   F6F-5.jpg   F6F-5N.jpg  

Kool.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Gavin, very nice. Been wondering why no one has done a FSX native F6F Hellcat. The star of the Mariana's Turkey Shoot. Looking forward to the release.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Quote Originally Posted by stovall View Post
    Gavin, very nice. Been wondering why no one has done a FSX native F6F Hellcat. The star of the Mariana's Turkey Shoot. Looking forward to the release.
    Vertigo Studios has done one!

Cees

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post

Cees
    And a fairly good one for its age, especially with a little added work.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4FAB09C6-7359-4E0C-B541-B95126B94F14.jpg  
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post

Cees
    Definitely Cees, I actually have that one but for some reason I have neglected it. Time to check it out again. Thanks for the reminder.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Great Addon

Definitely go great with Klaus's carriers. Looking forward to it. Following this thread. You can still get the SBD Dauntless and the TBF Avenger at Vertigo Studios if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckie View Post
    And a fairly good one for its age, especially with a little added work.

Very nice livery ! Can you share it?
    The more you do, the less you dream

Quote Originally Posted by menef View Post
    Duckie, I wanted to ask the same thing. I like the 1943 red-outline stars on your paint job.

Tail Markings

Those Tail Markings are for a specific aircraft carrier. When I built models, I had a book that showed each carrier's tail markings. Now we have internet, here is where you can find them:

http://www.wings-aviation.ch/24-Nava...2-Basis-de.htm

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    Those Tail Markings are for a specific aircraft carrier. When I built models, I had a book that showed each carrier's tail markings. Now we have internet, here is where you can find them:

http://www.wings-aviation.ch/24-Nava...2-Basis-de.htm
    With respect to the national insignia, it evolved throughout WWII. The red surround existed for a short time before being replaced by blue in its final form.

During the North Africa campaign, (Operation Torch), the surround was actually yellow for planes in that particular conflict; however it had no side bars.
    Last edited by Mike71; December 3rd, 2020 at 10:30.

Quote Originally Posted by menef View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    Duckie, I wanted to ask the same thing. I like the 1943 red-outline stars on your paint job.
    Thanks guys. I Have modified the model materials for the textures to take alphas so unfortunately these textures will not work with the stock .MDL file. It also means my new bump and spec files for the new panels and rivets will not work either. Wish I could share the modded model files but it is still payware.

For further we probably ought to take it to a new thread or maybe even PMs to end the Hi-Jack of Gavin's thread!

Steve
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Years ago, I did quite a bit of research on the paint and markings for the F4U Corsair and it should also be applicable to the F6F Hellcat.
    The addition of white bars and a red outline to the national insignia was authorized in February of 1943, along with the change from the two-tone blue over gray to the three tone sea blue-intermediate blue-white paint scheme for USN/USMC aircraft.
    In September of 1943, authorization was issued to change the red outline to insignia blue.
    In March 1944, authorization was issued to change the paint scheme to overall glossy sea blue.
    From the time of change authorization to the time when the change was implemented in the assembly plants was 1 to 2 months.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

And As we Know...

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    Years ago, I did quite a bit of research on the paint and markings for the F4U Corsair and it should also be applicable to the F6F Hellcat.
    The addition of white bars and a red outline to the national insignia was authorized in February of 1943, along with the change from the two-tone blue over gray to the three tone sea blue-intermediate blue-white paint scheme for USN/USMC aircraft.
    In September of 1943, authorization was issued to change the red outline to insignia blue.
    In March 1944, authorization was issued to change the paint scheme to overall glossy sea blue.
    From the time of change authorization to the time when the change was implemented in the assembly plants was 1 to 2 months.
    Even more on the carriers at sea who did not have down time for active squadrons. (From my experience at sea in Vietnam)

Even more on the carriers at sea who did not have down time for active squadrons. (From my experience at sea in Vietnam)
    From what I can tell, changes in the field most often occurred as squadrons rotated to the rear area for R&R. At that point, aircraft could be properly repaired, overhauled, and repainted. After R&R, squadrons would return to the front with either overhauled or new aircraft. Some front line units did appear to make attempts to update national insignias, the result might be star and roundel with only white bars added or red surrounds painted over with blue paint, possibly dark sea blue, that did not quite match the roundel.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

SOH-CM-2022

Red border

Getting closer.
    This repaint is from a set done by Brian Hill for the original FS2004 model and can be downloaded from avsim

Gavin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hellcat Flatley.jpg  

Can't Wait

Quote Originally Posted by gavinc View Post
    Getting closer.
    This repaint is from a set done by Brian Hill for the original FS2004 model and can be downloaded from avsim

Gavin
    Looking forward to being able to download this when you are done. I've got my SBD and TBM already downloaded and ready to put together an Air Group for one of Klaus's Essex class carriers, and putting together a Task Group with a couple of the cruisers and a battleship for good measure in CCP.

Many thanks to you gavinc. The F6F has always been a favorite of mine since I was a kid building models of the aircraft. IMHO one can never have enough WWII aircraft in the hangars. Thank you again.

Will They Work?

I just did a Google for Classic Warbird Design Studios and came up with some really nice sets of repaints over at AVSIM. Will they work with the new CWDS FSX F6F that you are doing, Gavin?

SOH-CM-2022
    I just did a Google for Classic Warbird Design Studios and came up with some really nice sets of repaints over at AVSIM. Will they work with the new CWDS FSX F6F that you are doing, Gavin?
    Yep,
    That is where I got Brian Hills repaint that I showcased a couple of posts ago.
    No changes to any textures.

Should be released for FSX as soon as I write the Readme.

FX issue currently in P3D v4.

Gavin

Great News

That's super, can't wait. Have to decide which carrier I want to put it, the SBD and TBM on.

SOH-CM-2022
    Package has been uploaded (I hope ).

Please give the library fairies time to do their work.

Gavin

Downloading Tomorrow

Can't wait to get it in the "hanger bay" to repaint it in VF-27 textures for USS Princeton in 1944 from AVSIM and post the results. Thank you so much for all your hard work and to Brian Hill for his repaints and his permission to convert it to FSX native.

This is a different model than the Vertigo Hellcat?
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Members who have read this thread: 3