Manfred Jahn Boeings Re-mastered for Prepar3Dv4 and v5 PBR
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manfred Jahn Boeings Re-mastered for Prepar3Dv4 and v5 PBR

Blog Entries

Manfred Jahn Boeings Re-mastered for Prepar3Dv4 and v5 PBR

Over the course of the last year I have been recovering and rebuilding aircraft and scenery. I am happy to say that I am ready to begin releasing my aircraft projects to the community.

To begin with, The Manfred Jahn Boeing B-50 Superfortress. I have completely upgraded the model for Prepar3D PBR platforms including versions 4&5. The model, as shown in this video features the new texturing model that utilizes all four color channels to render painted and metallic skins magnificently...day and night.

At the moment I am seeking volunteers to beta test the B-50 and C-97 models. If you are currently in Prepar3Dv5 and would be interested in the shake out, I'd be happy to hear from you.

Please forgive the occasional blocky artifacts in the night time video rendering. YouTube compression algorithms are not kind to otherwise lovely video. :-)

Happy Thanksgiving All,
    Gordon

Last edited by gman5250; November 26th, 2020 at 11:50.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Boeing’s finest!

I have been looking forward to these for sure!
    PM sent.
    I7-6700K @ 4.3, ASUS Z170-P, 32GB DDR4 2133, RTX 2070 8GB, Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv5.3 HF2

Beta test offer for just P3D V5 only or P3D V4.5?

welcome back from the dead, good to see you havent packed up shop with p3d and moved completely to another platform.

all your combined works will be greatly appreciated.

hate to be a bug bearer, but if you could add exhaust flames during start up and or running, that would look beautiful at night with that PBR you have showcased in that video

Hello Gordon,

-Happy to see you again on the forum!
    What happens to the B-26 and others, that you promised us for FSX?
    Can we hope to see these planes or is it definitely not?
    Thank you for your clarifications on this subject.
    Regards

Alain
    -

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jeansy View Post
    welcome back from the dead, good to see you havent packed up shop with p3d and moved completely to another platform.

all your combined works will be greatly appreciated.

hate to be a bug bearer, but if you could add exhaust flames during start up and or running, that would look beautiful at night with that PBR you have showcased in that video
    Thanks Jeansy,

I spent about a month in the new MS sim and I think it is a great platform that I will develop for in the future. I also think it is a great "turn key" deal for the money, and for those who prefer the global scope of that platform.

That said, and looking at both side by side, I still lean towards Prepar3Dv5 now that we have the full spectrum/four channel PBR tools at our disposal. Add to that ORBX TrueEarth, ChasePlane cameras, Active Sky and other third party enhancements, and V5 is a formidable simulation platform. Of course, I love the idea of having both to pick and choose from. I guarantee I could do video in Prepar3dv5 that the average or above average simmer would never be able to distinguish from the MS simulator.

I'll have a look at those flames...:-)
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alain0568 View Post
    Hello Gordon,

-Happy to see you again on the forum!
    What happens to the B-26 and others, that you promised us for FSX?
    Can we hope to see these planes or is it definitely not?
    Thank you for your clarifications on this subject.
    Regards

Alain
    -
    Thank you Alain,

All of the models have been rebuilt, repaired, re-mastered or otherwise rejuvenated. All are at beta or very near beta stage, flying in FSX, Prepar3D and Prepar3Dv5 which is an entirely different animal from the others. I will be releasing the betas for testing in a fairly rapid succession. Like everyone else, the Cerveza bug impacted us, so my time has been divided between priorities.

Short answer to your question...you can expect to see all of my planes, and eventually my scenery and new projects for Prepar3D and MSFS.

List of incoming, all of which are flyable as of this writing.

By request from original developer:
    Manfred Jahn Boeing B-50 Superfortress for Prepar3Dv4, Prepar3Dv5 and MSFS
    Manfred Jahn Boeing C-97 Stratofreighter/Stratotanker for Prepar3Dv4, Prepar3Dv5 and MSFS
    Manfred Jahn Douglas C-47 Dakota for Prepar3Dv4, Prepar3Dv5 and MSFS
    Lockheed Jetstar for FSX, Prepar3D, Prepar3Dv4, Prepar3Dv5 and MSFS

By permission
    Douglas Invaders, including the K model for Prepar3Dv4, Prepar3Dv5 and MSFS
    Grumman F7F Tigercat for FSX, Prepar3Dv4, Prepar3Dv5 and MSFS
    Brewster Buffalo for FSX, Prepar3Dv4, Prepar3Dv5 and MSFS
    Thomas Jefferson

This is fantastic news.

I would love flying the B-50, C97 and C_47 Dakota in Prepar3D v5. I managed to get the iconic DC-2 running in v5 (no PBR, but is okay).

I don't think I would be of any use as a tester, as I don't have any actual flight experience in any airplane.

Looking forward to your releases.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Gordon,
    I would love to test your work, I'll even install v5.1 for it if you want. But do I see you saying you'll bring them to MSFS as well? That's even better!
    Ah, and my obvious question, will you be updating paintkits as well?
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Yes, looking forward to the Jetstar!!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Hello Gordon,

-Thank you for the clarifications!
    I am therefore impatiently awaiting your models for FSX! (Retired for a long time, I cannot afford to invest in a new computer for P3D or MSFS!)
    However, I see in your post that the B-26 are not planned for FSX, and I regret it a lot!
    But you are the only decision maker !!
    Thank you for your work towards the simmer community!
    Regards.

Alain

Boeing C-97 volunteer...P3Dv5 and MSFS
    Cheers
    Keith

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    Gordon,
    I would love to test your work, I'll even install v5.1 for it if you want. But do I see you saying you'll bring them to MSFS as well? That's even better!
    Ah, and my obvious question, will you be updating paintkits as well?
    You are going to love the paint kit Jan Kees! Master layers included for the "tricky" four channel metallics, detailed normal maps and other good bits.

Yeah, MSFS a bit down the line after I release my models for FSX and Prepar3D. My re-mastered Manfred Jahn C-47 Dakota is already flying in V5 and ready to translate to MSFS. Manfred was kind enough to trust me with his masters, so there will be a Prepar3Dv4&5 model, a MSFS model...AND...a dedicated paint kit for the old girl as well.

Should keep you busy for quite some time. lol

BTW...I'm a firm believer that a sim purist will have both MSFS and Prepar3Dv5 (and beyond) living side by side on dedicated SSD drives. Both have enormous potential...but you already know that.
    I'll put you on the list for all of the betas.
    Thomas Jefferson

Gordon,

Curious, did you read my PM?

Was interested in trying out any betas for P3D V4.5 - Just thought I'd ask.

TY

Did you ever consider bringing Manfred's Connie up to P3D V4/5 speed?
    How would your P3D V5 creations look on a P3D V4.5 sim compatibility wise?

I also sent a PM. Looking forward to flying the lot of these aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    You are going to love the paint kit Jan Kees! Master layers included for the "tricky" four channel metallics, detailed normal maps and other good bits.

Yeah, MSFS a bit down the line after I release my models for FSX and Prepar3D. My re-mastered Manfred Jahn C-47 Dakota is already flying in V5 and ready to translate to MSFS. Manfred was kind enough to trust me with his masters, so there will be a Prepar3Dv4&5 model, a MSFS model...AND...a dedicated paint kit for the old girl as well.
    Now, THAT made my day! Perhaps consider a small price-point Gordon. The proceeds of which could be distributed amongst the developers, or if Manfred is fixed in his position, the proceeds of which could keep SOH in servers for a decade. The marketplace is like NOTHING else we have ever seen in Flight Simulation and I hope your custom scenery makes it to MSFSMP as well.

Regardless- free or not- I will do cartwheels on release day!

C

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    PM sent regards testing for you. It will give this retired old fart something to do during our long hot summer days.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the responses to my beta call gentlemen. I'll reply to each PM as they come in.

Another video, this time showing the Superfortress in daytime environments, focusing on the metal and paint variations in varying light and weather. The new four color rendering engine is absolutely amazing at rendering nuance of light, specular values and overall color values. The amazing thing with full PBR, four channel rendering is the colors we previously "baked" into our models for specular and occlusion lighting are now active, live channels in the rendering engine. Watch the video closely as the specular lighting and occlusion shadows change while the cameras float around the model.

I spent a great deal of time perfecting the metallic skins for this, and my other upcoming PBR models. I created three variations on metallic skins for the Superfortress from airshow quality high polish to production line and weathered. Take note in the video of the variations, as I have included them all.

Enjoy

B-50-Ridgeway by Gordon Madison

B-50-Lady by Gordon Madison
    Last edited by gman5250; November 30th, 2020 at 16:02.
    Thomas Jefferson

Curious as to how these (P3D V5) creations will play in P3D V4.5 - graphics wise?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Curious as to how these (P3D V5) creations will play in P3D V4.5 - graphics wise?
    They won't work in 4.5. The 4.5 model will be released right after the V5 model. Version 5 uses an entirely new color rendering model that utilizes all four color channels in Photoshop. Those will break any earlier version of the sim.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ******** View Post
    They won't work in 4.5. The 4.5 model will be released right after the V5 model. Version 5 uses an entirely new color rendering model that utilizes all four color channels in Photoshop. Those will break any earlier version of the sim.
    Thanks for the info.

I thought I'd be SOL after hearing that but then I see you did post this info:

By request from original developer:
    Manfred Jahn Boeing B-50 Superfortress for Prepar3Dv4, Prepar3Dv5 and MSFS
    Manfred Jahn Boeing C-97 Stratofreighter/Stratotanker for Prepar3Dv4, Prepar3Dv5 and MSFS
    Manfred Jahn Douglas C-47 Dakota for Prepar3Dv4, Prepar3Dv5 and MSFS

By permission
    Douglas Invaders, including the K model for Prepar3Dv4, Prepar3Dv5 and MSFS
    Grumman F7F Tigercat for FSX, Prepar3Dv4, Prepar3Dv5 and MSFS
    Brewster Buffalo for FSX, Prepar3Dv4, Prepar3Dv5 and MSFS

So perhaps there will be the B-50 (an other A/C listed ^) that will be upgraded to P3D 4.5 then.
    Something to look forward to for 4.5 users.

The exterior looks stunning but curious as to any enhancing of the cockpit detail, gauge clarity etc.

TY

Total pleasure watching the vid. Spectacular shots!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mjahn View Post
    I thought you might like that. Wait till you see the video I do on the C-47 in V5.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by mjahn View Post
    I could not agree more, who would have thought I could be fascinated by looking at a stationary model of an aircraft.
    Looking forward to the C-47 and -97!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    Looking forward to the C-47
    This!
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Members who have read this thread: 4