Set-Up Assistance Please!

Thread: Set-Up Assistance Please!

Set-Up Assistance Please!

I realize that this has probably been discussed at least once in the last 10 years but my rig has changed at least twice since then and I'm sill having issues with how objects including aircraft appear in CFS3 (including ETO, MAW, BoB, PTO-SI - I still can't get PTO-RS working with Win 10).

My problem is that the outline of objects are not smooth lines but are just a series of smaller lines like this ------------ although the little lines are stacked gradually upward or downwards depending of the outline of the object. Sometimes they appear to move when the program pans the object. Hard to describe but it's really annoying. Also, letters on the splash screens and briefings seem blurry. What I see on my screen doesn't come close to the screenshots others post on SOH.

WOFF-UE and Il2 1946 don't seem to have the same problem nearly as bad with objects but the lettering seems blurry.

My vid card should handle CFS3 easily. Its a nVidea GTX 1060 6gb. My processor is an i5,7th or 8th gen and I have 32gb of memory. I don't think hardware is the problem unless it's not set up properly.

Are there any settings in Config that I can change to fix this? Is this a resolution issue? Or do I need to re-configure my nVidea settings?

Sorry, I'm not much of a techie but I can follow instructions like "open cfs3config.exe and in overrides check the Dual Pass Render box" This is just an example, I have no idea what a Dual Pass Render is or what it would look like if it passed me on the street.

Thanks in advance for your help and patience.

A picture would save us a thousand words of guessing what you mean.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Besides that said above, have you actually run the config exe and set everything at max inc anti-aliasing? I actually use MajorMagee's config settings which I believe are around here in a sticky; if not PM!

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Quote Originally Posted by MajorMagee View Post
    A picture would save us a thousand words of guessing what you mean.
    Here a couple of screen captures. They are done in my monitor's native resolution of 1600 x 1050. I use 32 bit setting in cfs3. I don't know if you can see it all that well but if you look at the radio wire on the Hurri you see the problem. This is actually pretty mild on a still shot but when it starts rotating around the AC on the tarmac you can really see it.

I did go to my nVidea control panel and incorporated as many of your Diablo settings as my card's control program allows. I really didn't see much of a difference to be honest but I've read a few of your posts and you are way beyond me in terms of skill and knowledge.

To answer mongoose, my config settings are like Spinal Tap, everything is set at 11.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Combat Flight Simulator 3 2020-12-01 0_19_20.jpg   Combat Flight Simulator 3 2020-12-01 0_18_14.jpg   Combat Flight Simulator 3 2020-12-01 0_16_52.jpg  

Using SGSSAA can go a long a way toward making wires look like wires, but there are some models where it's just not enough. I've learned to live with the limitations of the game engine trying to render a few poorly modeled objects as long as I can make everything else look really good, and SGSSAA does that pretty well most of the time.

If the straight edges of the aircraft (window framing, antenna masts, etc.) look smoothed by AA, but the wires don't, then it's being driven by how the wires have been modeled. If the aircraft looks stair stepped as well then the AA is not working effectively.

The technology behind SGSSAA is that the game is calculating everything at a 2x, 4x, or 8x higher resolution virtually (not unlike DSR), and then downscaling back to native resolution to show it on the screen. It's the downscaling that smooths out the image you see on the screen. The other thing that really helps is having higher screen resolutions to show it on (as long as the underlying pixel pitch is still relatively small) . My 3440 x 1440 screen provides a lot of model smoothing all by itself, and that's not all that surprising really. Run the game at 800x600 on any monitor and it looks like a WW2 version of Minecraft.

Any aliased edge, trees and wires in particular, suffers from camera movement that really makes the color/luminosity contrast on these features stand out, so you see an animated shimmer happening as the display angles change.
    Last edited by MajorMagee; December 3rd, 2020 at 16:27.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Members who have read this thread: 0