So I bought FSDS 3.5

Thread: So I bought FSDS 3.5

So I bought FSDS 3.5

This version was all I could find now that Abacus has gone out of business. It's for FS2004 and FSX. What a PITA because I have to convert the model to FS2002 and back to CFS2, which means I have to run a .bat file every time I need to check out additions / animations. Documentation is very rudimentary and a bunch of the available controls and procedures are not identified or explained. Very little information is available on the web as most designers are using Gmax today. Wolfi has been some help - thanks buddy. But Gmax has a steeper learning curve and I wanted something simpler (HA!)

Anybody want to sell me their FSDS 2.24 for CFS2? Well, I'm determined to soldier on and at least master 3.5.

Anyway, here is my project in development. Kudos to those who know what it is . It's an important plane missing from our WWI hangar so I decided to make one.

I've got the basic animations working and it's ready to start assigning the texturing. Additionally I still have to create the VC, paint it, create the LODs, do the air files, and a few other odds and ends. I don't know if I can assign CFS2 damage to parts but I'll be finding out. A long ways to go yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Salmson.jpg  
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

You should be able to use Model Converter X to check animations.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Kudos to you Kurt. That's a great looking Salmson 2A2. Lots of painting possibilities!

Great stuff CK!

Glad there's someone else who can use FSDS, much much easier than Gmax...it's more WYSIWYG. Although these days people are using 3ds and Blender more so.

You will get used to what ani's transpose from Fs9 to CFS2, until then, may I suggest that you printout the list of standard ani's from FS9 and CFS2 so you can compare them, as you don't need to keep checking if you know what ani's are in each sim, and as Allen says, you can quickly check them in MCX with either the .fsc file or .mdl.

Ha ha yes the dreaded VC to make, that takes the most time.

And yes, there is very little info on the depths of FSDS, Louis didn't make the 'Help' very clear in places or covering everything eg Tick18 and pre-processes and others. PM me about other versions of FSDS..I have them..

Cheers

Shessi

Well if that does not beat all! A Salmson 2A2 for CFS2!!! Can't wait to have it in my WW1 hangar!

Captain Kurt, great news from this wanted Salmson, I look forward to have it to fly!
    Cheers
    Martin Klein

Thanks guys. I'm getting there. With some help from my CFS2 friends I was able to get FSDS 2.24 which is the version specifically for CFS2. It allows me to make smaller parts without distortions, and I can compile directly to the game which are real time and pain savers.

I finally got all of the animations and texture mapping assignments done tonight so I can now move on to the VC.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mapping.jpg  
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

So good to see twin Lewis guns for the Observer. At this rate you'll be adding a Liberty engine to the DH.4.

CK.

If I remember correctly, you can use FSDS3 to build your model, which has slightly more features (bolean operations, etc) then save, open with FSDS2.x and export to CFS2. As long as you don't use animations that are not supported by CFS2 or don't exceed the poly/vertex counts, you should be good to go.

ATB,
    Jamie.

Looking good btw, you got further than me on own builds. Hope you have better luck then me. This is as far as I got unfortunately.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hector_105.jpg   Hector_104.jpg   Hector_103.jpg   Hector_102.jpg  

I never could figure out a way to have left and right suspension animations work correctly when they are connected by a common axle. Only feasible way I found was using just left or just right, visual anomalies thrown to the wayside.

Hi DR

You are right about being able to compile a 3.5 .fsc file using 2.4. I transferred all the work I had completed in 3.5 to 2.24 when I got it. I'm really happier with 2.24. Personally I don't see an advantage in 3.5. The only thing I like about 3.5 more than 2.24's capabilities is the unlimited re-do ability.

I wasn't able to get the Boolean operation feature to work at all, it kept throwing errors at me, locking up the program and losing the current work. Cutting a part out isn't really that much more difficult from what I can see (of course I'm not making a modern jet with compound curve windows). In both cases, you still have to manually close up all the openings left by making one poly at a time, which is the most time consuming part.

I haven't been able to figure out how to get a fixed gear common axle suspension to work either. I've noticed that most designers have just left the whole thing alone. Probably what I will end up doing.

It looks like you had a good start on the Hector. Maybe you should give it another go?
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

Progress

Once I got some textures mapped I found lots of little details I needed to fix / replace but that's finally done. The virtual cockpit is built now and I am getting into the painting phase. The base camouflage paint is on and I'm just starting on the detail painting in and out, i.e. the panel lines, shading, weathering etc. to give it life. After the painting is complete, on the yet to be done list are the LODs, the 2D panel, and air files. I still have the landing gear axle animation to do too.

My grumpy observer / gunner

The ridiculously complex Salmson 2A2 cowling

A general view

First flight!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gunner.jpg   salmson 1.jpg   Salmson 2.jpg   Salmson 3.jpg   VC.jpg  
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

This looks really promising! Keep it up!

Looking great Kurt. Bravo.

Members who have read this thread: 0