took a while but I'm here now...MSFS2020 Deluxe

Thread: took a while but I'm here now...MSFS2020 Deluxe

took a while but I'm here now...MSFS2020 Deluxe

Finally able to finagle a new desktop PC and a copy of this new sim...it looks pretty but the 'view' controls..?

I liked the old FSX cinematic fly-by and dynamic external stand-off views but for the life of me cannot figure out how to replicate them here.. or see if it's even possible.

I fly from the VC and even those views are not as good as FSX (no TrackIr here - just the old hat n mouse) so is there a helpful guide either in print or video format that folks are using?
    I have searched and found some help but I need all I can get please.

I've noticed that the community is already working to port FSX scenery and aircraft to the new sim and that's encouraging. I spent a pretty fat nickel on FSX stuff and would LOVE to recover some of that as useable here in - what are we calling this? 2020? FSXI? FS11?

anyway it's good to be back to flight simming again - how y'all doin'? did I miss anything? lol
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

I found some of this here and at other forums; MSFS Camera References.

This is the one I used; https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5...an-view-setup/

I have an A-10 Warthog HOTAS, so I only have four views to set up on the hat, but for the external view it works fine by just using the left/right/up/down.
    Note that I have to click my mouse wheel to switch modes to that view method when I first load a plane in the sim and go to external view.

Here are some more threads you may want to check out.

https://youtu.be/wTUFA33wIEM https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/...amera-Overview

https://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforu...020-EASY!-quot https://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforu...mance-for-MSFS

https://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforu...tings-Reminder

I hope those help you out.
    Ken

On the throttle of the X52 is a mouse nub and left-click button that are hard wired as such. I mapped another button to the same function as the right-click to toggle free look mode that is used with the mouse. Now all i have to do is click that button with my thumb, then use that mouse nub to look around, which frees up my right hand for the stick - as opposed to having to let go and use the actual mouse. Another button resets the view to front.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

The camera system, is a major PITA, if you came from FSX (like we all pretty much did). You basically have to assign everything. Asobo sometimes doesn't use normal wording on their keybinds - which made things difficult for me during alpha.

That being said, it's WAAAAY more powerful than the FSX one and I have come to enjoy it. That avsim link should help.

There are a TON of freeware sceneries already. Most can be found at what I would unofficially call the official MSFS file library: https://flightsim.to/
    As far as your FSX payware stuff - well you're in luck. Most of those devs are making the same stuff in MSFS. FSDT, Flightbeam, LatinVFR, Orbx, Gaya, Aerosoft, Justflight etc
    The cost of admission is FAR less than you paid for FSX... 10-20 bucks usually.

Aircraft-wise, we've got a long road ahead of us. There aren't a lot of options at the moment.
    Dino's got a cool Long EZ and his MB339 jet.
    Carenado has 2 or 3 GA planes
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

Thanks for the assistance, Gents - much appreciated!

it's good to be back flying again, it's just a new learning curve I guess. Should help me keep the ol' melon tuned up (if it doesn't go to mush instead)

PS - the new screenshots thread is pretty awesome- been happily scrolling around in there for days
    enter..the Sandman

I have 'free look' slaved to the hat switch in the cockpit and it is exactly what I wanted.
    still working it out for exterior views...there's some kind of timer that resets the view to default once you stop moving the mouse / camera..

but still no fly-by view - so much of the whole 'drone camera' to figure out
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    I have 'free look' slaved to the hat switch in the cockpit and it is exactly what I wanted.
    still working it out for exterior views...there's some kind of timer that resets the view to default once you stop moving the mouse / camera..

but still no fly-by view - so much of the whole 'drone camera' to figure out
    Set your exterior views exactly like you did your interior views, to the same button(s). The setup page will tell you the buttons are already in use, but it will accept them for the different view cameras. I use my standard hat switch on both my Saitek X-52 and Saitek Cessna yoke. Works fine. I have NOT been able to figure out the drone camera, yet.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

OK - I'll try that - I just assumed they couldn't be duplicated without overwriting or canceling the other application. cool - thanks Modelr
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by modelr View Post
    Set your exterior views exactly like you did your interior views, to the same button(s). The setup page will tell you the buttons are already in use, but it will accept them for the different view cameras. I use my standard hat switch on both my Saitek X-52 and Saitek Cessna yoke. Works fine. I have NOT been able to figure out the drone camera, yet.
    I concur with Heywood, thanks for the tips Modelr!!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

For FSX/P3D-style internal and external panning, these are the key bindings you'll want to assign to your hat switch (note that both the internal and external functions are mapped to the same hat switch) - I also have an up/down rocker type thumb switch on the my controller assigned to the zoom in/out function as shown:

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    For FSX/P3D-style internal and external panning, these are the key bindings you'll want to assign to your hat switch (note that both the internal and external functions are mapped to the same hat switch) - I also have an up/down rocker type thumb switch on the my controller assigned to the zoom in/out function as shown:

The rocker switch for zoom is a good idea, John. I have a free switch for that. I am also going to try to assign a button to toggle internal/external views. Haven't tried these since the latest updates, but on some items I want on my controls that are assigned to the keyboard by default cannot be assigned to my controllers.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

Quote Originally Posted by modelr View Post
    The rocker switch for zoom is a good idea, John. I have a free switch for that. I am also going to try to assign a button to toggle internal/external views. Haven't tried these since the latest updates, but on some items I want on my controls that are assigned to the keyboard by default cannot be assigned to my controllers.
    probably a good idea to note that, in order to find ALL of the possible options you MUST change the 'Filter' from 'Assigned' selections - to 'ALL' selections -

I kept wondering why the only External View options I had were 'Quick View' until I saw the Filter options on the lower left of the screen shown above this post
    enter..the Sandman

Heywood,

Would you mind sharing the specs of your new rig? Just curious!

Cheers,

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Intel I7-10700K
    GeForce RTX 2080 Super
    SSD 500GhZ C drive / 2TB additional storage
    32 GhZ DDR4 Ram
    Win10 64 Home
    Liquid Cooled and OC'D lil' bit

It's a fine machine without spending too much $
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    probably a good idea to note that, in order to find ALL of the possible options you MUST change the 'Filter' from 'Assigned' selections - to 'ALL' selections -

I kept wondering why the only External View options I had were 'Quick View' until I saw the Filter options on the lower left of the screen shown above this post

You are right. Changed the filter, and now my selections work. Thanks.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

You are welcome, Don - now if we could just get that 'fly-by' view back in one of these updates that would be terrific..
    enter..the Sandman

Members who have read this thread: 0