GAS Kinner Sportwing FSX P3D

Thread: GAS Kinner Sportwing FSX P3D

GAS Kinner Sportwing FSX P3D

Getting close to completing our latest project. There is an outside chance that there will be a version compiled for MSFS (more to come on that)

GAS Kinner Sportwing

Last edited by Spad54; November 15th, 2020 at 12:20.

What a beauty! Will that dapper pilot's mustache feature "blow-in-the-breeze" technology?
    America never stopped being great.

Wow, that looks really good. I'm surprised that his hat didn't blow off in the open cockpit! I guess that the windshield would have deflected the airflow above his head.
    Mark

Whoow! another beauty from the GAs team! I can't wait

Quote Originally Posted by mrogers View Post
    Wow, that looks really good. I'm surprised that his hat didn't blow off in the open cockpit! I guess that the windshield would have deflected the airflow above his head.
    we stapled it to his head 🤪

The third and final livery for the release.

I'm very glad to see this coming! Years ago my grandmother related to me the story of her first and only small airplane ride with my grandfather. She had been experiencing some dementia so I was surprised when her memory was so specific - she recalled the plane was a Kinner Sportster and she was terrified. She wasn't an airplane person and many airplane fans aren't even familiar with Kinner engines much less the various Kinner aircraft but her memory was so specific that the story stuck with me.

Years later after she and my grandfather passed my family sent me an album of old photos. Most surprising in that collection of photos were a number of pictures of NC14212, one of the few Kinner Sportwing B-2's produced. Sure enough my grandfather was in the cockpit of two of them. I can only guess that the Sportster my grandmother mentioned was in fact a Sportwing, NC14212. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to determine the date or location of these photos. Considering that my grandfather learned to fly in the AAF in 1945 I can only assume these were taken shortly after WWII ended. Despite a records search with the FAA I haven't been able to determine what became of NC14212 except that it seems to have been deregistered sometime before 1960 or so.

Thanks to the GAS folks for bringing this old machine back into FS skies - I can't wait!

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NC14212_front_quarter.jpg   NC14212_side.jpg   NC14212_rear_quarter_pilot.jpg   NC14212_front_pilot.jpg  

This is a nice looking aircraft but boy does that windscreen look like an afterthought! It would've looked even better with a windscreen that instead of curving forward at the bottom just came down to the cockpit rail. Then it could have had a sliding hood (with maybe just a slight bulge to it for headroom) for all weather comfort. (Or just leave it open on the nice days!) Well, it is what it was and I guess I'll have to find room for it in the hangar over by the Aeronca LC and Pasped Skylark!

Beautiful! I will also be adding this to my hanger, along with my Aeronca LC and Pasped Skylark. Hoping it does make it into MSFS.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Agreed! I'll likely buy it for both platforms if it becomes available. And it will look good next to the Aeronca and the Pasped. And the Monocoupe and the Fleet and the Luscombe and the...

Quote Originally Posted by katonic View Post

...sent me an album of old photos.

Chris, thanks for posting these old family photos. Great stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Spad54 View Post
    Getting close to completing our latest project. There is an outside chance that there will be a version compiled for MSFS (more to come on that)

WOW - she looks very sleek and smooth.
    Hello Spad and all, long time no see.
    I've been missing this place for a long while - good to see the new GAS aircraft co. products rolling off the assembly line ! Also happy to hear you might be processing them for the new 2020 sim!
    I finally have a new rig after the ol' hoss went down last year. I see that some of the GAS FSX planes have been migrated with some success but would love to see dedicated 2020 models too.
    If you still need some help with testing (for the new sim only at this point) please let me know.
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

GAS MSFS Conversions

We have a team member working with a developer working on a conversion program. We've had some success with developing compatible models with the following exceptions. The configuration manager is not compatible and until a solution is developed will not be in a converted model. Accessing switched and mouse manipulated controls is not yet possible but from my understanding after reading the 2020 forum this may be a problem that M$ is working on a global solution. The good news is that binding the functions to the keyboard works fine. Good new also on the gauges. We only use xml coded gauges and so in all of our a/c that we will be offering this wont be a problem. When we feel that we have progressed to a marketable and tested product they will only be offered through our website so that we can maintain a list of customers to facilitate updates to purchased models as they may be come available. As for whether or not customers who purchased models for FSX receiving a free upgrade, that unfortunately is not in the plans for the roll out. That said because of some limited functionality (no configuration manager and the issue with mouse control in the VC) pricing for the models will reflect that making the cost less that the P3D/FSX versions. How much is yet to be determined until we begin conversion is earnest, following the release of the Kinner. Rest assured if we cant bring out a model that we'd want to fly in MSFS then we'll walk away completely and remain with P3D and FSX for as long as there is a market.

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    WOW - she looks very sleek and smooth.
    Hello Spad and all, long time no see.
    I've been missing this place for a long while - good to see the new GAS aircraft co. products rolling off the assembly line ! Also happy to hear you might be processing them for the new 2020 sim!
    I finally have a new rig after the ol' hoss went down last year. I see that some of the GAS FSX planes have been migrated with some success but would love to see dedicated 2020 models too.
    If you still need some help with testing (for the new sim only at this point) please let me know.
    Hey Bud! Glad to see you back. I'll email you if and when we are far enough along for testing. Best

We have a team member working with a developer working on a conversion program. We've had some success with developing compatible models with the following exceptions. The configuration manager is not compatible and until a solution is developed will not be in a converted model. Accessing switched and mouse manipulated controls is not yet possible but from my understanding after reading the 2020 forum this may be a problem that M$ is working on a global solution. The good news is that binding the functions to the keyboard works fine. Good new also on the gauges. We only use xml coded gauges and so in all of our a/c that we will be offering this wont be a problem. When we feel that we have progressed to a marketable and tested product they will only be offered through our website so that we can maintain a list of customers to facilitate updates to purchased models as they may be come available. As for whether or not customers who purchased models for FSX receiving a free upgrade, that unfortunately is not in the plans for the roll out. That said because of some limited functionality (no configuration manager and the issue with mouse control in the VC) pricing for the models will reflect that making the cost less that the P3D/FSX versions. How much is yet to be determined until we begin conversion is earnest, following the release of the Kinner. Rest assured if we cant bring out a model that we'd want to fly in MSFS then we'll walk away completely and remain with P3D and FSX for as long as there is a market.

I'm anxiously awaiting the release of the Kinner Sportwing. I've always thought it was a pretty little thing. Also, I'd like to thank you for what seems a notice that you do intend to stay with FSX/P3d, irregardless of the successful inclusion of models for MSFS. I'm never the first to overwhelmingly jump on the newest and greatest bandwagon. FSX does about everything I've ever wanted in a flight sim. Beautiful models and great scenery such as ORBX.

Thanks for all the great "golden age" models your company produces.

Barry

Hey Bud! Glad to see you back. I'll email you if and when we are far enough along for testing. Best
    Thank You, Skipper - I'm happy to be of service!
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by TeiscoDelRay View Post
    Hard to tell with the sun in my eyes but this paint job looks like a great hangar companion for the Hall Bulldog!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Patterson View Post
    Hard to tell with the sun in my eyes but this paint job looks like a great hangar companion for the Hall Bulldog!
    The new Kinner...

These screenshots taken in MSFS 2020

that shot on the apron is a beauty - what airfield is that?
    enter..the Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    that shot on the apron is a beauty - what airfield is that?
    Hi, that is Orbx Santa Barbara KSBA in MSFS 2020.

KSBA - I'll have to get that again...looks better in 2020 than FSX obviously
    enter..the Sandman

Great story Chris!....thats what this is all about and thanks for posting those vintage photos!

Members who have read this thread: 0