50 caliber gun tracking?

Thread: 50 caliber gun tracking?

50 caliber gun tracking?

I was asked a question in a email from a retired USN friend of mine, that I could not answer, but thought perhaps someone here might know.

Does anyone here have information about 50 caliber gun tracking? I am not even sure what that means. Am guessing perhaps it has something to do with aiming the weapon to zero in on a target? No idea. NC

Coastie Dolphins/Spartans CG_1976's Avatar
    From a Helo Standpoint, M134 Gau-17 can be controlled by the pilot or Co pilot via there Helmet and Sensors and Head movement. With re the Fixed Wing not sure. We need a Marine for that one.

AMD FX 8-Core Black 4.2Ghz, 8G Ram 2TB HD, W8.1 pending W10, ATI R5 2G X2 Crossfire
    http://www.canadianarcticfse.com/

I do not quiet understand the question so maybe I got it wrong but.. When I was in the army I used to shoot .50 as an AA setup. You would have 5 real bullets and a tracer so every 6th bullet would be a tracer and you used that to correct your aim on a target.

I verified it is gun tracking, not tracing. Computerized gun aiming. NC

Ok, I was able to find out more about what information is being sought. I paraphrased the following from a email I received from my friend.

Apparently, the guy who needs the information is a college professor who's class is working to recreate a replica .50 cal M2 machine gun and another working on a recoil system, with software to track the bullets from a B-17 waist gunners position to try and hit a simulated attacking enemy aircraft.

As such they are looking for any manuals that would allow them to calculate the bullet path (as well as those of any tracers fired). They want to make the software as accurate as possible. He said there is a lot of software for modern long range target shooting (as well as for snipers) but they don’t take into account lead for two flying aircraft.

Thanks, NC

i used to have a gunsite set up that was a large black box that was some how set up on the waist guns on B17s and B24s,plus a few others..i gave it to a young kid for his collection.if id still had it,id send it to the professor..oh well..K25,maybe?

Thanks Dave, I forwarded that along. Hopefully it will help! NC

Quote Originally Posted by Dave43H View Post

Quote Originally Posted by marijn View Post
    I do not quiet understand the question so maybe I got it wrong but.. When I was in the army I used to shoot .50 as an AA setup. You would have 5 real bullets and a tracer so every 6th bullet would be a tracer and you used that to correct your aim on a target.
    All NATO ammo is standard across the board for all small arms including 12.7mm (.50) It was 1 in 5 for stock ammo 4 ball 1 tracer, or 2ap 2api 1apit is the other readily used combo. Ive used plenty of US ammo for 12.7mm over yrs and the only thing that's different across all nations is how lot numbers are identified by the manufacturer. However you learn about them and the differences

Members who have read this thread: 1