Freeware Duxford for MSFS Available

Thread: Freeware Duxford for MSFS Available

Freeware Duxford for MSFS Available

There is a nice recreation of Duxford airfield now available for MSFS, available for free here: https://flightsim.to/file/2924/duxford-egsu
    Last edited by Bomber_12th; November 6th, 2020 at 15:30.

Sticking due to historical significance...
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

A few general screenshots.

Looks wonderful, thanks John !

Still, it's like having such a beautiful classic gramophone but no records to play...

(what we need is get a group of enthusiasts together and on a moonlit night unlock the museum doors and push some of the collections' aircraft outside. 10 will suffice to begin with : DeHavilland Tiger Moth, Avro 621, Anson and Lancaster, Hawker Hurricane and Hunter, Supermarine Spitfire, Douglas C-47, Boeing B-17, North American P-51, Lockheed T-33. Ok, 11. In that order. Make them airworthy and display 'em before an imaginairy public)

Nice, but for one small issue, for me anyway.

Duxford in the heart of England and a "Kenworth" truck. Believe me they are few and far between here in the UK.

Regardless I shal download it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 50574646922_0a4b486406_o.jpg  

Free is great! A payware version with all the buildings and vintage aircraft would be most welcomed.

-d
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    Free is great! A payware version with all the buildings and vintage aircraft would be most welcomed.

-d
    + 1.
    The modern aircraft seem a bit out of place here, but very nice scenery.
    Just have to be patient for those warbirds to eventually fly in.
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Looks wonderful, thanks John !
    Still, it's like having such a beautiful classic gramophone but no records to play...
    (what we need is get a group of enthusiasts together and on a moonlit night unlock the museum doors and push some of the collections' aircraft outside. 10 will suffice to begin with : DeHavilland Tiger Moth, Avro 621, Anson and Lancaster, Hawker Hurricane and Hunter, Supermarine Spitfire, Douglas C-47, Boeing B-17, North American P-51, Lockheed T-33. Ok, 11. In that order. Make them airworthy and display 'em before an imaginairy public)
    I so agree with that. Would be awesome to get the classics to meet there for a fly-in. But we would have to get those tubeliners re-located.
    One day without laughter, is one day without living.
    One day without Flight Simming, is one day lost living.

Those modern airliners are there in-place of the vintage airliners that are displayed there in real life, to provide a similar look/vibe using some of the default MSFS objects.

For the classic types, there is plenty of room to park in the grass at Duxford, which is usually the case.

As an aside, earlier this year it was announced that The Fighter Collection was ending its partnership with the Duxford Imperial War Museum in its hosting of the Flying Legends airshow (seemingly due to the new and inept leadership at the IWM). It was just announced this past week that the new location of the Flying Legends airshow will be Sywell Aerodrome, where it will be held next July.

You can actually get sort of a realistic Duxford experience if you add in a low ceiling with light drizzle...

Been there 3 times ( from Holland), 3 times display show cancelled because of the weather. All i have seen flying there was that beautiful yellow Avro Tutor coming in to land while the speaker announced the canceling of the show. I can replicate the weather quite nicely now, all i need is Nigel's wonderful Tutor. (luckily my visits to Old Warden were always succesfull )

Been to Duxford many a time over the years and always been brilliant, weather and display...tough to come all that way

Quote Originally Posted by keithb77 View Post
    Been to Duxford many a time over the years and always been brilliant, weather and display...tough to come all that way
    Not too bad, no. The museum is always great to visit and we usually went to other air- and steam display shows as well. Farnborough always nice weather, Old Warden too. Pickering, Bridgnorth, Carlisle, beautiful even in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by keithb77 View Post
    I was there back in 2002 and combined it with a visit to HMS Belfast in London. I had an awesome weekend with briliant weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    As an aside, earlier this year it was announced that The Fighter Collection was ending its partnership with the Duxford Imperial War Museum in its hosting of the Flying Legends airshow (seemingly due to the new and inept leadership at the IWM). It was just announced this past week that the new location of the Flying Legends airshow will be Sywell Aerodrome, where it will be held next July.
    The place has never been quite the same since Ted Inman left . As director, he built Duxford as a museum from the ground up, accepting any aircraft on offer. Even when space became tight, his philosophy was to snatch the plane from the scrap merchants, and worry about how and where to display it later. These days, it's all about context..it's about space and setting..it's about "interpretation of the collection". Interpretation my backside - all you do is get the plane, restore it, and put an information placard in front of it. Job done. You then have the current director absurdly saying that the museum's Tornado GR4, quote, 'tells the story of the Cold War'. No it does NOT - any more than a musket tells the story of the battle of Waterloo. The fashionable, social media-driven "new-speak" down there has become laughable in recent years.

hello the scene at the Ferté Alais aerodrome has many static planes, but unfortunately no Spitfires.

You can find free models here : https://www.cgtrader.com/free-3d-mod...author=Helijah

Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Well this scenery has become my default starting point. Well made and looks good on vastly slower machines than bomber12 has which is a bonus.

What would be great if Asobo/Ms were able to allow you to theme MSFS. Eg set it up to be mid-50's and therefore autogen reconfigured, less traffic, more vintage stuff so you could play in a certain era. ... but then my technical side of the brain kicks in and thinks about the amount of work involved and shudders!

Quote Originally Posted by pilto von pilto View Post
    What would be great if Asobo/Ms were able to allow you to theme MSFS. Eg set it up to be mid-50's and therefore autogen reconfigured, less traffic, more vintage stuff so you could play in a certain era. ...
    That would sure be something !!

Unfortunately it seems their interest lies in the exact opposite direction ( glass cockpits and all that.. )

A dutch group of 1950's/60's afficionados worked on just that for FS9/FSX with a wonderful handcrafted Schiphol 1960 for starters. It looked fantastic with all the DC-3's, -4's and -6's, Connies and Convairs on the tarmac. They came a long way with many airports from this era integrated in West-Europe.

With MSFS MS/Asobo surprised us like we've been surprised never before, didn't they. I'll be not surprised if, sometime in the future, they'll do it again by presenting us with a genuine 'Golden Age of Air Travel' scenario to enjoy with the above mentioned classic propliner collection included. ( Yeah, right..... Let's keep dreaming. Maybe when Easter and Christmas fall on the same days, éh ?... )

Btw, totally different approach of course, that's what i particularly love about 'Transport Fever2', you'll start in the 1850's with carts and horses, horse pulled trams, first steam engines and boats, buildings, houses, roads, even people dressed like in the 1850's and work your way up to today and beyond. Air travel too, starting in the 1920's with a Junkers F-13 and Dornier Mekur. You can even hold time progression in the era you love most. If we could have something like that in MSFS i know i died and gone to heaven. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by pilto von pilto View Post
    Well this scenery has become my default starting point. Well made and looks good on vastly slower machines than bomber12 has which is a bonus.

What would be great if Asobo/Ms were able to allow you to theme MSFS. Eg set it up to be mid-50's and therefore autogen reconfigured, less traffic, more vintage stuff so you could play in a certain era. ... but then my technical side of the brain kicks in and thinks about the amount of work involved and shudders!

The simulator has an extra variable now for "year" - I'm actually not sure if that was in older versions or not, thinking about it, but either way we can now set visibility conditions based on years and not just months. This opens up the possibility of visibility-condition based scenery just as you describe, although it would not of course affect real-world AI traffic ( unfortunately ).

I have an aircraft carrier in the works that will have different static air-wings appear on the deck, based upon the "year" selected by the user - 1960s, 70's, 80's and so on.
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

Quote Originally Posted by DC1973 View Post
    The simulator has an extra variable now for "year"...
    I haven't seen that one yet - I usually just fly in real time. But my guess is that it works with the astronomy data to correctly place the moon and maybe the planets in the night sky.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Members who have read this thread: 0