Khalkhin-Gol Incident-USSR - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Khalkhin-Gol Incident-USSR

Almost Finished

I have a total of 34 missions set up in the campaign where the player will fly 24. I still need to test fly 2 of them - I will get that done this afternoon. I am waiting on a friend to do 2 "skins" for me but I haven't heard from him. They are the URSS_POLIKARPOV_I16 and the simTECH_I16_Rata (the I-16 Type 10 and the I-16P). Any volunteers to paint?

Everything else is done and I'm that close to uploading. The package can be installed in an existing or clean stock install. It doesn't require Rhumba's mesh, though I suppose it could be installed on it. It only needs about 16 aircraft to go into your AIRCRAFT folder.

I would also like to know how I ca add a "salvo" option to the payloads for the Tupolev SB-2M-103. I've made, what I think are the correct entries, copied from Wolfi's Avenger dp to the dp, but the payload doesn't show in MB:

[PAYLOADS]
    payload.0=%payload_name.0%
    payload.1=%payload_name.1%
    payload.2=%payload_name.2%
    payload.3=%payload_name.3%
    payload,4=%payload_name.4%
    payload,5=%payload_name.5%

[PAYLOAD.0]
    ; Payload = Guns Only

[PAYLOAD.1]
    ; Payload = Bombs Heavy
    mount.1=WEP_DB_US_500lb_GP_fb, 1, -1
    mount.2=WEP_DB_US_500lb_GP_fb, 1, -1

[PAYLOAD.2]
    ; Payload = Bombs Medium
    mount.0=WEP_DB_US_250lb_GP_fb, 1, -1
    mount.1=WEP_DB_US_250lb_GP_fb, 1, -1

[PAYLOAD.3]
    ; Payload = Bombs Light
    mount.0=wep_ja_30kg_gp, 2, -1
    mount.1=wep_ja_30kg_gp, 2, -1
    mount.2=wep_ja_30kg_gp, 2, -1
    mount.3=wep_ja_30kg_gp, 2, -1

[PAYLOAD.4]
    ; Payload = Bombs Heavy (2 Salvo)
    mount.1=WEP_DB_US_500lb_GP_fb, 1, 2
    mount.2=WEP_DB_US_500lb_GP_fb, 1, -1

[PAYLOAD.5]
    ; Payload = Bombs Medium (2 Salvo)
    mount.0=WEP_DB_US_250lb_GP_fb, 1, 2
    mount.1=WEP_DB_US_250lb_GP_fb, 1, -1

Payloads 4 and 5 are my entries. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated,

Cheers:

SW07
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Greg

You have entered payload,4= .... & payload,5= ....

Change the commas to fullstops.

Payload.4=%payload_name.4
    Payload.5=%payload_name.5

Also change the 250lb load salvo to reference mount.1 instead of mount.2

Mount.0= .....250lb_fb 1, 1 instead of 1, 2

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTgt View Post
    Greg

You have entered payload,4= .... & payload,5= ....

Change the commas to fullstops.

Payload.4=%payload_name.4
    Payload.5=%payload_name.5

Also change the 250lb load salvo to reference mount.1 instead of mount.2

Mount.0= .....250lb_fb 1, 1 instead of 1, 2
    Got it! Thank you UncleTgt.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Ah ha... The payloads do work now and they salvo, but the "payloads" drop-down choices in MB read:

"Payload.4=%payload_name.4"

and...

"Payload.5=%payload_name.5"

not "bombs heavy/medium (salvo)" How do I fix?
    However, in flight when I cycle ordinance the message reads: "500 lb bomb..."
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Open the DP file with Notepad & scroll down to the bottom. The last section is [STRINGS]

At the bottom of this list are the payloads. You need to add

"payload_name.4"= Bombs Heavy (salvo of 2)
    "payload_name.5"= Bombs Medium (salvo of 2)

Thanks again sir!
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Icon26 Volunteer needed

These are the 2 planes I'd like to have repainted in these colors, if someone can help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails simTECH_I16_Rata.jpg   URSS_POLIKARPOV_I16.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Great news!

GearyMcS has volunteered to paint the planes for me! When he's finished, I will upload the new textures with the campaign. It will be in just a few days now.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Progress Report

I've gotten from my friend, noted above the "skins" for the I-16 (URSS_POLIKARPOV_I16) and the I-16P (simTECH_I16_Rata). I am nearly ready to upload the campaign in a day or 2.

The I-16P has some problems though. She flies like a bath tub. It is as hard as heck to get airborne, and doesn't seem to want to accelerate at the start. In the air it seems to handle extremely poorly (despite adjustments to my controller sensitivities). I believe the problem might be related to something in the .air file and I have no experience in modifying it. If someone would take a look, it would be greatly appreciated. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...tid=51&id=4707

This aircraft is employed, several times, from mid-campaign on and is well armed for ground attack and air combat. I have modified the original .dp to give it a more realistic ammo total for the mgs and cannon. I will probably upload the campaign and wait/hope for changes to the plane

Recomendations or suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KhG_054A.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Library Staff
    Hi Greg,

Have you tried the flight dynamics files from Ivan Hsu's I.16?

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by kdriver View Post
    Hi Greg,

Have you tried the flight dynamics files from Ivan Hsu's I.16?

Kevin
    No, but I'll give that a try. Thanks.

P.S. It didn't work on a swap - engine wouldn't start. The main problem is trust. I can only get to 75kts by the end of the runway.
    Last edited by Shadow Wolf 07; November 1st, 2020 at 09:04.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

If you use the airfile and the Aircraft Config from the other plane it should work.
    Just copy the contact points and the views from the Simtech plane into the new Aircraft file.

Quote Originally Posted by skylane View Post
    If you use the airfile and the Aircraft Config from the other plane it should work.
    Just copy the contact points and the views from the Simtech plane into the new Aircraft file.
    "Should" work, but engine doesn't start.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Khalkhin-Gol Incident-USSR

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Campaigns Add-Ons

Description: This is an historical campaign, based on the Khalkhin-Gol battles, also known as the Nomonhan Incident between the Soviet Union and the Empire of Japan in Mongolia. The conflict occurred in the border regions of Mongolia and Manchuria from 11 May until 15 September 1939. It began with a border dispute between Mongolia (a USSR ally) and Manchukuo (the name for the Japanese puppet government of occupied Manchuria).

Historically, the incident ended in a decisive Soviet victory. Neither side wanted to go to war, and especially the Japanese, once the Soviet Union and Nazi Germany signed their non-aggression pact. That would have meant that Japan would then have to fight the Soviet Union alone, without her Axis allies. Both sides wanted peace

This CFS2 campaign packet consists of only the Soviet side of the conflict, with 35 total missions, set up in a 25-mission long campaign, both air to air engagements and air to ground, offensive and defensive. In some cases, the numbers of aircraft are reduced proportionately because of the limitations of the sim. For example, in mission four, over 140 aircraft were involved in a massive dogfight, but I used only 70.

My sources rarely gave exact locations for the starting points/bases and target or engagement locations throughout the campaign. Therefore, I used a best guess for these. Also, the CFS2 map is relatively flat and though changes in elevation are noted in Mission Builder, hills, valleys and some rivers do not show well when you fly the rolling steppe terrain. Geographic features are rare and are also, with a few exceptions, a best guess, using the source maps.

Enjoy the air "war"!

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Khalkhin-Gol Incident-USSR
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Icon22 Reply...

Greg,

Very nice work on this! We'll talk soon, been slammed with class projects and other headaches, but we're hanging in there.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Thank you Drew. I hope the weight on you lightens up soon. I just had a loss in the family.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Uploaded

I still need some help with that airfile. That aircraft is flown in several of the mid-campaign and on missions.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Quote Originally Posted by highpockets View Post
    Shadow Wolf
    You are welcome. Glad to add something useful.
    It was very useful !!! Thanks again.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf 07 View Post
    It was very useful !!! Thanks again.
    FYI
    On the Ki-32 .dp, file, need to change box 3 (Port Wing) the 1.472 needs to be 0.86 to match the starboard wing otherwise the port wing is excessively huge and offers an easy target!

Port wing
    box.3=%box_name.3%,-5.5,-0.348,-2.28,-0.502,0.139,1.472,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,97,98,99,100,101,102,103, 104

Starboard wing
    box.5=%box_name.5%,0.52,-0.348,-2.28,5.5,0.138,0.86,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,81,82,83,84,85,86,87,88

Quote Originally Posted by RWILLS View Post
    FYI On the Ki-32 .dp, file, need to change box 3 (Port Wing) the 1.472 needs to be 0.86 to match the starboard wing otherwise the port wing is excessively huge and offers an easy target! Port wing box.3=%box_name.3%,-5.5,-0.348,-2.28,-0.502,0.139,1.472,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,97,98,99,100,101,102,103, 104 Starboard wing box.5=%box_name.5%,0.52,-0.348,-2.28,5.5,0.138,0.86,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,81,82,83,84,85,86,87,88
    Thanks RWILLS, she's not my plane and I don't fly her. I made the changes though to my dp, the one in the package and reloaded the upload.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Thanks RWILLS, she's not my plane and I don't fly her. I made the changes though to my dp, the one in the package and reloaded the upload.

I've got a few better .dp files for some of the other planes as well - mostly geometry corrections/improvements you are welcome to try out/use. Also I think the Ki-32 bombs may not work properly on the original dp(?) - if so I've got a dp that fixes/works for that.

RWILLS: go ahead and attach them here, I'll see wat we can use. Thanks again.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

RWILLS: go ahead and attach them here, I'll see wat we can use. Thanks again.

OK - I seem to be having difficulty attaching anything at the moment (I'm new to this forum!) -

The Ki2_type_93.dp needs changing as it is currently classed as (tries to behave as) a dive bomber!

this bit:

[MISC_DATA]
    unit_family=1
    category=10
    allegiance=4
    max_group_size=8
    min_speed=80
    cruise_speed=140
    max_speed=200
    min_alt=50
    cruise_alt=6106
    max_alt=9159
    entered_service=5/1/33
    crew=3

Quote Originally Posted by RWILLS View Post
    OK - I seem to be having difficulty attaching anything at the moment (I'm new to this forum!) - The Ki2_type_93.dp needs changing as it is currently classed as (tries to behave as) a dive bomber! this bit: [MISC_DATA] unit_family=1 category=10 allegiance=4 max_group_size=8 min_speed=80 cruise_speed=140 max_speed=200 min_alt=50 cruise_alt=6106 max_alt=9159 entered_service=5/1/33 crew=3
    Fixed it! Changed to cat 5. I think that[s right, it's the same for the stock B-25. Anyway, I spoke with Rami and was reminded that the thrust and power scalars are on the.cfg. So I will be editing the upload with new .dps and .cfgs.
    Last edited by Shadow Wolf 07; November 8th, 2020 at 11:22.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Fixed it! Changed to cat 5. I think that[s right, it's the same for the stock B-25. Anyway, I spoke with Rami and was reminded that the thrust and power scalars are on the.cfg. So I will be editing the upload with new .dps and .cfgs.

Yes - category 2 is also worth a try, - I suspect a catgory 2 is less likely to deviate from a flight path? Possibly even category 9 seems to work well if you want to force the bombers to stick to the plan!

As far as I know

Catgory 1 = Fighter
    Catgory 2 = Bomber
    Category 4 = Torpedo Bomber
    Category 5 = Bomber

Catgory 9 includes the C47 but is worth playing with for bombers if you want them to hold a tight formation
    Category 10 = Dive Bomber

Another useful random bit of info - if you do any missions for the Ki-27 - there is a nice wide-screen panel for the Ki-27 included with the " Ki-43-1 Hayabusa" by Morton, - here; https://simviation.com/1/search?subm...i-43-1&x=0&y=0
    It works nicely with the Ki-27 that you are using
    Attached Files Attached Files

Members who have read this thread: 1