Aircraft Carrier Progress :)

Thread: Aircraft Carrier Progress :)

Aircraft Carrier Progress :)

So I've got four carriers working OK in MSFS and a few more pending.
    Flying Stations freeware HMS Ark Royal and Victorious (these come with usable AI plans).
    USS Valley Forge
    USS Oriskany

Importing FSX carriers is pretty easy using a Python script, I can post the steps if interested.
    Some (Victorious) have a P3D MDL which needs ModelConverterX to replace
    Here's a video of a quick circuit and almost landing on the Valley Forge - https://youtu.be/KKxYFtmm35c

But there are a few problems that maybe a Carrier expert could help with?

The video ends just before touchdown because the deck isn't landable, can't find how to do that.

I'm using the AI Boats tool to generate AI plans, which works reasonably well though finding the carrier can be hard.
    Ideally the AI Carriers tool would be used but
    a, the Java version insists I don't have Java when I do (may need 32bit, or ENVPATH setting?)
    b, the .NET version just does nothing - doesn't start.
    It may be the tool won't work, though other Simconnect tools do...

Cheers
    Keith

The USS Oriskany
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oriskany_Seattle.jpg  

Reference: http://www.pilote-virtuel.com/viewtopic.php?id=95962

There is a solution for the landable desk:

- add a polygon to the dimensions of the runway a few mm above,
    - assign a property to it via Blender to turn it into an invisible MSFS_Invisible surface
    - and finally tick the "Road material" box

=> it works and aircraft can land on this desk.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Porte-avion-2020-10-28.jpg  

Thanks, that's an interesting forum
    But Blender is outside my skill-set right now - don't I need original files, or can I import an FSX MDL, update and export it?
    Cheers
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by keithb77 View Post
    But Blender is outside my skill-set right now - don't I need original files, or can I import an FSX MDL, update and export it?
    Cheers
    Keith
    Awesome work Keith! I did start working on Javier's Nimitz in MSFS but I didn't have the time to get far.

Regarding Blender, it's free and very easy to learn, and you'd need it to add the MSFS runway material surface to your work in the right place before exporting again. It's worth learning just to make the additions you need to bring these freeware carriers into MSFS - they're much needed!
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

Cheers
    Keith
    In the past, I was able to read in a model into ModelConverterX and assign the deck of the model as a "platform" which is what's required to land on, at least in FSX, and then write it back out again. I was also able to assign effects, like smoke and the arresting cables and catapults and their "rails". And it was able to keep the textures associated with it. In other models I tried to do that, they lost their textures. I don't know why, or how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by DC1973 View Post
    Awesome work Keith! I did start working on Javier's Nimitz in MSFS but I didn't have the time to get far.

Regarding Blender, it's free and very easy to learn, and you'd need it to add the MSFS runway material surface to your work in the right place before exporting again. It's worth learning just to make the additions you need to bring these freeware carriers into MSFS - they're much needed!
    Easy to learn??? sigh....

It is worth it to learn it. I have not yet gotten my head wrapped around all the steps and things you need to do to make it work. But I imagine if I did, once I did, it would be a piece of cake once I had all the steps down. But it may be you can also get what you need done using ModelConvertX as I understand it's now got functionality for MSFS if you get the latest version.

Cheers
    Keith
    With MCX it was possible to add an another MDL (the icon Merge Objects just under the menu Wizard) and export the "two in one". The FS9 model "Jeanne d'Arc" was composed by four MDLs compiled with this process.

If the landable desk is made under Blender and exported as a MDL so it is possible to add this MDL to any aircraft carrier MDL in order to obtain the right MDL .

These days I am finishing my 3 Cessna's Tibush, Taildragger an Hydra but newt wekk I can make one exemple.

Quote Originally Posted by lagaffe View Post
    With MCX it was possible to add an another MDL (the icon Merge Objects just under the menu Wizard) and export the "two in one". The FS9 model "Jeanne d'Arc" was composed by four MDLs compiled with this process.

If the landable desk is made under Blender and exported as a MDL so it is possible to add this MDL to any aircraft carrier MDL in order to obtain the right MDL .

These days I am finishing my 3 Cessna's Tibush, Taildragger an Hydra but newt wekk I can make one exemple.
    Cool! Thanks for the tip.

Thanks for the info's, will look into it.

Here's the USS Antietam from the SOH library, together with an imported (not Native) Banshee

Cheers
    Keith

Here's the USS Antietam from the SOH library, together with an imported (not Native) Banshee

Cheers
    Keith

Wow, that really does look amazing - maybe I should take another look at the Nimitz when I get a little spare time...
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

Razbam Harrier and VAAFSE HMS_Invincible, both FSX imports.
    Sadly the Harrier is only partly functional but when I found the Invincible it had to be done...

Here's a video
    https://youtu.be/7V9DEqN4FS4
    Cheers
    Keith
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Harrier_1.jpg   Harrier_2.jpg  
    Last edited by keithb77; November 7th, 2020 at 00:00.

Cheers
    Keith
    I don't know if Rob is working on wing animations for the Banshee's wingfold, but that would be needed on a carrier deck! NC

Members who have read this thread: 0