A question about the USS Saratoga's nickname?

Thread: A question about the USS Saratoga's nickname?

A question about the USS Saratoga's nickname?

I have heard the nickname, "Sinking Sara", for the USS Saratoga (CV-60), forever. Even though my last deployment was on the Sara, I don't recall hearing the true story behind the nickname. Many years ago, a retired Master Chief told me that the ship earned that name, due to it almost sinking at a dock in Yokosuka, Japan because one of the ship's crewmembers had left some petcock valves open.

I did some Google searching. Plenty of information on the ship, and even a reference to that nickname; but no further explanation.

Am betting someone here knows!

NC

I have only heard the nickname "Sucking 60 from Dixie"! I was on the '69 Med cruise with VAH-10. I'd do some research and see what I find.

Hope you left your hurricane shutters up, Pete! Zeta on the way!

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Talk:USS...-60)/Archive_1
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    I have only heard the nickname "Sucking 60 from Dixie"! I was on the '69 Med cruise with VAH-10. I'd do some research and see what I find.

Hope you left your hurricane shutters up, Pete! Zeta on the way!

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Talk:USS...-60)/Archive_1
    I don't plan on putting the hurricane panels at this point. The storm is moving fast, but right now not a real threat to Pensacola. Of course that would change, but the last evolution of installing the panels really made my right elbow's tendonitis go off the charts. I am not in a hurry to make that pain worse!! NC

P.S. I DO still have 35 gallons of gas (6 five gal cans, plus my generator is full, and I put gas preservative in it all weeks ago); plus I have plenty of food and water.

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    I have heard the nickname, "Sinking Sara", for the USS Saratoga (CV-60), forever. Even though my last deployment was on the Sara, I don't recall hearing the true story behind the nickname. Many years ago, a retired Master Chief told me that the ship earned that name, due to it almost sinking at a dock in Yokosuka, Japan because one of the ship's crewmembers had left some petcock valves open.

I did some Google searching. Plenty of information on the ship, and even a reference to that nickname; but no further explanation.

Am betting someone here knows!

NC
    [Deleted]

Edit: Right my original post, I found this link, which references the "sinking" that Master Chief might have been talking about. Sounds like it was in Greece. Click on "Sinking 1971" on the menu down the left side. I can't verify the accuracy, but it sounds plausible
    Last edited by nagpaw; October 27th, 2020 at 09:14. Reason: Added link to article.
    America never stopped being great.

Quote Originally Posted by nagpaw View Post
    [Deleted]

Edit: Right my original post, I found this link, which references the "sinking" that Master Chief might have been talking about. Sounds like it was in Greece. Click on "Sinking 1971" on the menu down the left side. I can't verify the accuracy, but it sounds plausible
    Yep, that was it, thanks! Master Chief did mention Greece. NC

Quote Originally Posted by nagpaw View Post
    [Deleted]

Same article I posted in first response!
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Same article I posted in first response!
    Sorry, I hadn't clicked on it! NC

My bad, Mr. Zippy! I'd left the window open to NC's question and didn't refresh when I sat down again, so I totally didn't see your post. My apologies for stealing your thunder
    America never stopped being great.

Some lingering reputations SARA had was due to a poor SLEP at Philadelphia Navy shipyard. Boiler tubes to replace older ones were poor quality and had to be redone. This caused cost overruns and some things had to be sacrificed which cropped up later. Lingering effects of this "revitalizaton" dogged her at various times, some quite serious, causing delays in meeting schedules, etc. at some points. Nontheless, she served pretty well.

I was a LCDR in VA-75 in the mid-70s, flying the great A-6E; made a cruise and a half. SARA was not too bad overall.

We lost an RA-5C to a night ramp strike - pilot and RAN killed. A sorry event for everyone aboard, but not the ship's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post

I was a LCDR in VA-75 in the mid-70s, flying the great A-6E; made a cruise and a half. SARA was not too bad overall.
    Great pic in the '76 Sara cruise book, Mike....uh, Sir!

Great pic in the '76 Sara cruise book, Mike....uh, Sir!
    the days of anyone calling me "Sir" are long gone, but thanks anyway --

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    the days of anyone calling me "Sir" are long gone, but thanks anyway --
    Yep, It's good to be a civilian 1st class!

Members who have read this thread: 0