Modders using Google Maps data to make MSFS look better

Thread: Modders using Google Maps data to make MSFS look better

Modders using Google Maps data to make MSFS look better

Google will end up shutting them down. Their EULA specifically prohibits extracting data for any purpose. You could get away with it if you did it for yourself without the data leaving your PC, but redistribution is going to get people in trouble.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

They may hesitate, it's good publicity for them and bad for Bing maps, lol.

Why was this moved to FSX discussion? This is about MSFS - the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by CybrSlydr View Post
    Why was this moved to FSX discussion? This is about MSFS - the new one.
    I thought FSX was the original location. I wasn't going to step on Stovall's toes, but since you posted this, I'll go ahead and slide it over.
    Last edited by stovall; October 22nd, 2020 at 06:15.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    I thought FSX was the original location. I wasn't going to step on Stovall's toes, but since you posted this, I'll go ahead and slide it over.
    It was??? lmfao Whoops. My mistake!

I honestly don't know - that's where it was the first time I saw it. Someone used the report function to let the admins know it might be in the wrong spot, but like I said, I wasn't going to step on toes. I usually just hit here, Newshawks, and the Cantina, plus the admin sections when I'm online, so I never would have seen it otherwise. At least it's sorted now!
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Most of the mods out there for scenery are Google data. Google's not doing anything about it, and I've read elsewhere that using it is ok per the EULA. I'm not a lawyer so I can't comment either way, but people have been using Google map data in FS products since the '90's I think, when SBuilder first came out?

Thanks Tom for the help with proper forum. You are doing a great job over at MSFS 2020.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Just verified this;

https://www.google.com/intl/en_ca/help/terms_maps/

And I don't see anything prohibiting the use of Google Maps for the specific of creating sceneries from their data.

Quite to the contrary, sub-section b. of section 1. reads;

"License. As long as you follow these Terms, the Google Terms of Service give you a license to use Google Maps/Google Earth, including features that allow you to:
    (...)
    create KML files and map layers (...)"

The scenery process is basically a map layering for the purpose of modeling ground objects.

Intellectual property was not my field of expertise (criminal and penal law was), but I see no infrigment. Adding the mention that Google Maps or Google Earth was used in the making in the documentation won't hurt...
    Torture numbers and they'll say anything.

Hubbabubba, Touche à tout.

Quote Originally Posted by hubbabubba View Post
    Just verified this;

https://www.google.com/intl/en_ca/help/terms_maps/

And I don't see anything prohibiting the use of Google Maps for the specific of creating sceneries from their data.

Quite to the contrary, sub-section b. of section 1. reads;

"License. As long as you follow these Terms, the Google Terms of Service give you a license to use Google Maps/Google Earth, including features that allow you to:
    (...)
    create KML files and map layers (...)"

The scenery process is basically a map layering for the purpose of modeling ground objects.

Intellectual property was not my field of expertise (criminal and penal law was), but I see no infrigment. Adding the mention that Google Maps or Google Earth was used in the making in the documentation won't hurt...

Actually, what people are doing these days is downloading the Google Maps 3D data and constructing photogrammetry models, or using them as the basis for handcrafted models, all using blender or 3DMax.

Easily bring in Google Maps Photogrammetry Data into Flight Simulator 2020 with Google Earth Decoder

But what you said about the terms corroborates with what I've read other people say about the terms. And yes, I see people say where they got the data from in there releases.

I made some scenery for my hometown (Utrecht) and shared them at : flightsim.to
    This is the story i wrote under the download :

File credits
    This free creation contains content from Google Maps or Google Earth. In accordance with Google Terms of Services and especially point 2.2 of Google Maps/Google Earth Additional Terms of Service, this creation is based on « fair use » or « fair dealing » of the data provided by google throught its services. No commercial use or any gain is or will ever be made by the author of this creation, who doesn’t own anything regarding google assets but a simple user Licence. According to the following document https://www.google.com/intl/en-GB/pe...geoguidelines/, the author is freely sharing a creative application of Google Maps or Google Earth. The author will not recieve any form of retribution for sharing his work, even general donations from users of file hosting web services under the form of « rewards » or « tips ». If this content would be found somewhere where it is provided in exchange of money or any kind of retribution, I wouldn’t be with the consent of the author who will stick to strict free content creation diffusion.
    Part of this content including 3d data and textures is copyrighted by
    Imagery ©2020 Google, Imagery ©2020 CNES/ Airbus, Maxar Technologies,
    USDA Farm Service Agency, Map data ©2020 Google.

I guess I was mistaken about what I thought I'd seen concerning Google's policy. Hopefully someone can find a way to get some of these massive packages condensed to a more manageable size. There's one out there that enhances Toronto, but having it loaded makes the sim take twice as long to load a flight - at least on my rig.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

but they may react if they see a possibility to make money

the done it with their map services already this is why nearly any VA is now using open street map

I guess I was mistaken about what I thought I'd seen concerning Google's policy. Hopefully someone can find a way to get some of these massive packages condensed to a more manageable size. There's one out there that enhances Toronto, but having it loaded makes the sim take twice as long to load a flight - at least on my rig.
    That is why I'm staying very lean in the Community folder. I've tried the "Skyscraper" and "Trees" mod/patch. The latter is gone and the former will. I suppose that we could create a back-up community folder and go pick what we need for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Txmmy83 View Post
    but they may react if they see a possibility to make money

the done it with their map services already this is why nearly any VA is now using open street map
    Can't see any satellite view in OpenStreetMap, which is a must for scenery making.

The day Foogle (Google Flight Simulator - one can dream) is annouced, we may have a change in the terms and conditions, but this can't be retroactive and, as far as I can read in my crystal ball, not to come in near future.
    Torture numbers and they'll say anything.

Hubbabubba, Touche à tout.

Members who have read this thread: 0