Wasn't Expecting This To Show Up

Thread: Wasn't Expecting This To Show Up

Icon22 Wasn't Expecting This To Show Up

Was out for a walk today and heard some rumbling radials approaching overhead. Fumbled with my phone just in time to get some crummy video of a B-17! Not something you see everyday.

https://streamable.com/eb2ojk

It was olive drab with red marking on the tail. Not sure which one although I later found out the Alliance Air Show over in Ft. Worth was going on today so maybe a part of that.

Kevin

Hey Kevin,

It was the Yankee Lady out of Alliance. They were offering 30 minute rides to benefit the museum. Been a good weekend
    weather-wise for flying.

Odie

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

Rgr that Odie. Was a good weekend for flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Odie View Post
    Hey Kevin,

It was the Yankee Lady out of Alliance. They were offering 30 minute rides to benefit the museum. Been a good weekend
    weather-wise for flying.

Odie
    Yankee Lady is out of Michigan and is natural metal with a red tail. Texas Raiders is OD with red. Probably saw that one.

Hey Josh, I meant it was flying out of Alliance for the weekend. Alliance was billing it as the Yankee Lady. I had to laugh at the
    sub note they had that "take-off time was solely left up to the crew".
    Best,
    Odie

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

No such thing as crummy video of a bird like that! Where I work there is a local field with the Commemorative Air Force MN Wing that works on, among other aircraft, the B-25 Miss Mitchell. Every long so often I'll also hear that unmistakable rumble and I start looking up to catch a glimpse. So far I have never had enough time to get out the phone or I have been too busy to get it out.

https://commemorativeairforce.org/aircraft/7
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

Seeing a B-17 flying is becoming an ever rarer sight.

There are only 5 that I would consider active right now - those being "Aluminum Overcast", "Sentimental Journey", "Texas Raiders", "Yankee Lady", and "Ye Olde Pub".

"Sally B" hasn't flown since last year, due to the Corona Virus this year and no airshows. It sounds as though they're in pretty desperate need of donations in order to be financially capable of operating next year.

"Thunderbird" was parked at the beginning of this year with no intention by the Lone Star Flight Museum of flying it again, and it is for sale.

The National Warplane Museum ended its lease with the Tallichet family's B-17 "Movie Memphis Belle" late last year, and it is now in hibernation in Florida.

"Fuddy Duddy" at the Lyon Air Museum hasn't flown since 2014.

Thanks for the rundown there John.

I guess at some point years from now most warbirds will be retired from flying. Enjoy them while you can!

Quote Originally Posted by Odie View Post
    Hey Josh, I meant it was flying out of Alliance for the weekend. Alliance was billing it as the Yankee Lady. I had to laugh at the
    sub note they had that "take-off time was solely left up to the crew".
    Best,
    Odie
    Either way at least someone got an airshow this summer. EAA had Aluminum Overcast here a while back and they flew their B-25 Berlin Express the day after the B-25 crashed in California. This is my first year in 45 that I haven't been to EAA. At least the boys from Truax are flying up this way pretty regularly so I can get some jet noise in too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    Seeing a B-17 flying is becoming an ever rarer sight.

There are only 5 that I would consider active right now - those being "Aluminum Overcast", "Sentimental Journey", "Texas Raiders", "Yankee Lady", and "Ye Olde Pub".

"Sally B" hasn't flown since last year, due to the Corona Virus this year and no airshows. It sounds as though they're in pretty desperate need of donations in order to be financially capable of operating next year.

"Thunderbird" was parked at the beginning of this year with no intention by the Lone Star Flight Museum of flying it again, and it is for sale.

The National Warplane Museum ended its lease with the Tallichet family's B-17 "Movie Memphis Belle" late last year, and it is now in hibernation in Florida.

"Fuddy Duddy" at the Lyon Air Museum hasn't flown since 2014.
    Well, there is an E model in the works albiet slowly.

Yes, there are a number of B-17's being worked on with the intention of one day flying them.

The Collings Foundation has a second B-17G (former Evergreen) that just had a number of repairs finished on it and it is now at American Aero Services in Florida undergoing the wing AD and other work, and is supposed to be getting painted as "Outhouse Mouse". Of course Collings faces some significant legal issues following the crash of "909".

The Champaign Aviation Museum is restoring a B-17G named "Champaign Lady", which will be the first B-17 to fly of those currently under restoration (not counting Collings' complete example mentioned above), but it is still at least several years or more from completion.

The B-17E "Desert Rat" would be the next closest restoration, which is being performed at the Vintage Aviation Museum.

The Vintage Aviation Museum has also put some effort toward building a flying B-17C as well, but that is an even longer-term project/goal.

Don Brooks has two B-17G's under restoration, which includes the rebuild of "Liberty Belle".

Ray Moore Jr., who is helping in the restoration/rebuild of Don Brooks' B-17G's, is also working on reproducing a B-17F with an original identity from a 384th BG B-17F named "Lucky 13".

The B-17 Alliance Group in Oregon is restoring the "Lacey Lady" B-17G.

The Planes of Fame Air Museum has put some attention toward restoring their B-17G to eventually fly, though it needs some big donations to ever see it really happen.

The late Paul Allen acquired the restored and flying B-17E 41-9210 in 1999, but then quickly had it disassembled and a ground-up re-restoration started on the airframe, but which was never completed. I have been hearing some talk (in private) about the late Paul Allen's Flying Heritage & Combat Armor Museum going on the auction block next year, so quite possibly we'll see this B-17E project go to someone that might see it completed (hopefully).

Standing in between a thousand other aviation enthousiasts at an air display show is one thing, walking around in your own village and literally 'out of the blue' catching the unmistakable sound of a few piston engines coming your way is another !

I just picked up a few groceries the other day and was walking back to my car when i heared the, indeed unmistakable, sound of a couple of Merlins. I completely frose.....

What could it be ? A couple of Spitfires ?.. A Spit and a Hurricane ?... A Spit and a Mustang ?.. 2 Mustangs ?.. A Lancaster ?... Before i was ready with my contemplation there it was : a Lancaster ! Not really at treetop height but pretty low for sure. Goose bumps all over ! I might even have become a goose just for a second during that moment ! Hehe

This really is something completely different compared to watching a Lanc, or any other warbird, being put thru its paces at an airshow. That's what you're there for, that's what the meaning is,isn't it. Nothing out of the ordinairy if you're an airdisplay junkie.

However, unsuspectingly just walking down the street, carrying a few groceries and then being confronted with the heavenly sounds of an aircraft's piston engine coming towards you it will grab you by the balls !

The most peculiar thing was that nobody around in the street seemed to notice, nobody else was looking up. I wanted to shout "Hey, Look!! It's a Lancaster !! Not an Airbus for Pete's sake!! " (we're underneath the ILS for Schiphol Rwy 18C final approach so people here are quite a bit weary of aircraft...;-) Once the Lanc had dissapeared over the houses and the gorgeous sound of the Merlins had died down i felt completely alone, nobody to share this extraordinairy exiting moment with me. Ok, pack up the groceries and go home. Now where's my car...

@Javis:

Never seen a Lanc in person either parked or flying. Don't think there are any on the USA airshow circuit. I'm a bit jealous.

Now I have heard four Griffins in concert when Shackleton WL790 was flying out of Midland, Texas back in the mid 2000's during a couple of CAF airshows. The contra-props really gave it a unique sound!

Quote Originally Posted by Moses03 View Post
    @Javis:

Never seen a Lanc in person either parked or flying. Don't think there are any on the USA airshow circuit. I'm a bit jealous.

Now I have heard four Griffins in concert when Shackleton WL790 was flying out of Midland, Texas back in the mid 2000's during a couple of CAF airshows. The contra-props really gave it a unique sound!
    the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum brings their Lancaster to shows around the US so watch their show schedule this summer and remedy your situation! They were selling tours the last time it was at EAA (2018 I think). I jumped at the chance! I just about lost it the one year I was at EAA and the Shack was parked it the Warbirds area. That was something I thought I'd never see!

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Standing in between a thousand other aviation enthousiasts at an air display show is one thing, walking around in your own village and literally 'out of the blue' catching the unmistakable sound of a few piston engines coming your way is another !

I just picked up a few groceries the other day and was walking back to my car when i heared the, indeed unmistakable, sound of a couple of Merlins. I completely frose.....

What could it be ? A couple of Spitfires ?.. A Spit and a Hurricane ?... A Spit and a Mustang ?.. 2 Mustangs ?.. A Lancaster ?... Before i was ready with my contemplation there it was : a Lancaster ! Not really at treetop height but pretty low for sure. Goose bumps all over ! I might even have become a goose just for a second during that moment ! Hehe

This really is something completely different compared to watching a Lanc, or any other warbird, being put thru its paces at an airshow. That's what you're there for, that's what the meaning is,isn't it. Nothing out of the ordinairy if you're an airdisplay junkie.

However, unsuspectingly just walking down the street, carrying a few groceries and then being confronted with the heavenly sounds of an aircraft's piston engine coming towards you it will grab you by the balls !

The most peculiar thing was that nobody around in the street seemed to notice, nobody else was looking up. I wanted to shout "Hey, Look!! It's a Lancaster !! Not an Airbus for Pete's sake!! " (we're underneath the ILS for Schiphol Rwy 18C final approach so people here are quite a bit weary of aircraft...;-) Once the Lanc had dissapeared over the houses and the gorgeous sound of the Merlins had died down i felt completely alone, nobody to share this extraordinairy exiting moment with me. Ok, pack up the groceries and go home. Now where's my car...
    It is different just seeing them off hand! We had a permanent campsite in Wautoma, WI about 40 miles west of Oshkosh and one weekend leading up to EAA we were camping and I heard a radial and prop buzz. I was expecting a T-6 but what I ended up seeing through the gaps in the trees was Delmar Benjamin boring a hole towards Oshkosh in his Gee Bee! It was weird to see it that way so I know what you're talking about!

Members who have read this thread: 0