Repainting Question

Thread: Repainting Question

Repainting Question

I am working on redoing a few liveries for the Sepecat Jaguar, however at 4096x4096 (after enlarging the original 1024x1024) the resolution stands at 96 pixel per inch and I want it at least double that to be able to show better detail in the decals, panel lines, rivets, insignia and other markings. Is that possible?
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

It's been my experience that the details you mention will all need to be redone in order to benefit from the larger texture size.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    I am working on redoing a few liveries for the Sepecat Jaguar, however at 4096x4096 (after enlarging the original 1024x1024) the resolution stands at 96 pixel per inch and I want it at least double that to be able to show better detail in the decals, panel lines, rivets, insignia and other markings. Is that possible?
    Current System Specs :
    FSXA & P3Dv4 | Windows 10 Professional for Workstations (x64)
    Motherboard: Gigabit Z390 Aorus Ultra, LGA 1151, Intel based
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3600
    GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (6GB GDDR5)
    HD: 1TB SanDisk SSD Plus | PSU: KDM 750W ATX Power Supply

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Not really. You can draw images or components of images as big as you like...ie full size, but 4096 is the largest image size FSX can handle...so anything you draw has to be reduced to that size and subsequently detail will be lost. All that can be done is to draw details at 4096 so they look 'right' and no detail is subsequently lost through reducing/dithering....

What I've done is this: all textures I've looked at (4096x4096) are 96 pixels per in. I open a new workspace 4096x4096 and set the pixels per inch to 200, copy the original image (same size) and paste as a new layer and I now have a 4096x4096 with 200 pixels per in, rather than 96. lettering is readable (they were not at 96), lines are sharp, insignia and acft numbers are clearer.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

4096x 4096 is the pixel count. No matter what you do you will not get more pixels being painted to the model....

IOW, changing the pixels per inch only changes the size the image will be on a piece of paper. But, no matter what, it will always be 4096 x 4096 pixels of data.

Now, what I have found, is that the rendering engine in FS adds quite a bit more detail (through aliasing I imagine) to make what look like pixelated lines in your paint program look straighter and nicer with seemingly more detail in FS.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    IOW, changing the pixels per inch only changes the size the image will be on a piece of paper. But, no matter what, it will always be 4096 x 4096 pixels of data.

Now, what I have found, is that the rendering engine in FS adds quite a bit more detail (through aliasing I imagine) to make what look like pixelated lines in your paint program look straighter and nicer with seemingly more detail in FS.
    You won't get more detail....only less, as distance to model increases. I've done a lot of 4096 kits... and the best detail is contolled by how many 4096 images are used in painting the plane. Obviously those which have both wings and fuse in the one image will be inferior to those that have them separately done. You can't get a line better than 1 pixel on eg half a wing at 4096. Anything smaller is dithered to a faded grey...no matter how big you draw it it can only end up whatever percentage of the 4096 bmp has been allocated for it....

Members who have read this thread: 0