Reworked KingAir prop textures
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reworked KingAir prop textures

Reworked KingAir prop textures

Have taken on a challenge to rework the KingAir prop textures. Let me state that the original texture application was wrongly implemented. It took a lot of modifications to try and correct this oversight and make the prop circles look more realistic.

Yes there are a few small issues that just cannot be corrected because of what I have stated before.

If approved I will be more than happy to share with all.

Best

Jim

reworked KingAir prop texture

Jim,

Where can I get your reworked KingAir prop textures?

Best
    ega

Hopefully will upload later today. Please backup your default texture.

Best

Jim

Thanks Jim. I really donīt like the default KingAir prop textures!

ega

The flightsim titans..... I love this! Thanks Jim and I look forward to them. Default is terrible
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

Zipped file has been uploaded to MSFS2020 "Other" folder.

Good luck hope you enjoy.

Best

Jim

Thanks Jim!! The originals just spoiled what is otherwise a nice looking plane.

cheers,
    steve

Quote Originally Posted by pbearsailor View Post
    Thanks Jim!! The originals just spoiled what is otherwise a nice looking plane.

cheers,
    steve
    Hope you enjoy them...if I see a way to correct the visual anomalies stated in the included text file I will update.
    In the mean time will go throught the other aircraft and correct those textures as well.

Jim

Thanks for your effort Jim. These props are excellent...exactly as I would have made them, if only I could. The default cartoon ones game me a headache.
    I fly the King Air quite regularly.

There are plenty of other candidates in MSFS in desperate need of your prop beautification touch, if you are so inclined. I would surely download anything you
    possibly come up with.

Great fix, thanks very much for the work.

I do have one suggestion though. MSFS was designed so that you should never have to alter the default textures, you can override default textures using the Community folder.

I have created the following file structure in the Community folder and it seems to be working.

\Community\jimgoldman-kingair350propfix\SimObjects\Airplanes\Asobo_KingA ir350\TEXTURE

The TEXTURE folder contains the two textures included in your fix, but it also requires the two .json files related to the textures from the original aircraft "TEXTURE" folder, "KINGAIR350I_AIRFRAME_PROP_BLUR_ALBD.PNG.DDS.json" and "KINGAIR350I_AIRFRAME_PROP_SLOW_ALBD.PNG.DDS.json".

"jimgoldman-kingair350propfix" contains both "layout.json" and "manifest.json" files.

Layout.json contains all of the files and their directories. It looks like this:

Code:
    {
    "content": [
        {
    "path": "auto_json.exe",
    "size": 397312,
    "date": 1600845106226
        },
        {
    "path": "SimObjects/Airplanes/Asobo_KingAir350/TEXTURE/KINGAIR350I_AIRFRAME_PROP_BLUR_ALBD.PNG.dds",
    "size": 1398256,
    "date": 1602251088000
        },
        {
    "path": "SimObjects/Airplanes/Asobo_KingAir350/TEXTURE/KINGAIR350I_AIRFRAME_PROP_BLUR_ALBD.PNG.DDS.json",
    "size": 119,
    "date": 1600490613217
        },
        {
    "path": "SimObjects/Airplanes/Asobo_KingAir350/TEXTURE/KINGAIR350I_AIRFRAME_PROP_SLOW_ALBD.PNG.DDS",
    "date": 1602251564000
        },
        {
    "path": "SimObjects/Airplanes/Asobo_KingAir350/TEXTURE/KINGAIR350I_AIRFRAME_PROP_SLOW_ALBD.PNG.DDS.json",
    "date": 1600490613229
        }
      ]
    }

Manifest.json, from what I can tell, informs the Package Manager what your mod is called. It looks like this:

Code:
    {
    "dependencies": [],
    "content_type": "AIRCRAFT",
    "title": "Asobo_KingAir350_TEXTURE",
    "manufacturer": "<<MANUFACTURER>>",
    "creator": "Jim Goldman", 
    "package_version": "0.1.0", 
    "minimum_game_version": "1.7.12", 
    "release_notes": { 
    "neutral": { 
    "LastUpdate": "",
    "OlderHistory": ""
        }
      }
    }

Hopefully that was clear, I can upload the folder I created if that is more helpful. I only have a base level understanding of this stuff so if anyone knows better than I do please do let me know, especially if I made any errors.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by ak416 View Post
    Great fix, thanks very much for the work.

I do have one suggestion though. MSFS was designed so that you should never have to alter the default textures, you can override default textures using the Community folder.

I have created the following file structure in the Community folder and it seems to be working.

\Community\jimgoldman-kingair350propfix\SimObjects\Airplanes\Asobo_KingA ir350\TEXTURE

The TEXTURE folder contains the two textures included in your fix, but it also requires the two .json files related to the textures from the original aircraft "TEXTURE" folder, "KINGAIR350I_AIRFRAME_PROP_BLUR_ALBD.PNG.DDS.json" and "KINGAIR350I_AIRFRAME_PROP_SLOW_ALBD.PNG.DDS.json".

"jimgoldman-kingair350propfix" contains both "layout.json" and "manifest.json" files.

Layout.json contains all of the files and their directories. It looks like this:

Code:
    {
    "content": [
        {
    "path": "auto_json.exe",
    "size": 397312,
    "date": 1600845106226
        },
        {
    "path": "SimObjects/Airplanes/Asobo_KingAir350/TEXTURE/KINGAIR350I_AIRFRAME_PROP_BLUR_ALBD.PNG.dds",
    "date": 1602251088000
        },
        {
    "path": "SimObjects/Airplanes/Asobo_KingAir350/TEXTURE/KINGAIR350I_AIRFRAME_PROP_BLUR_ALBD.PNG.DDS.json",
    "date": 1600490613217
        },
        {
    "path": "SimObjects/Airplanes/Asobo_KingAir350/TEXTURE/KINGAIR350I_AIRFRAME_PROP_SLOW_ALBD.PNG.DDS",
    "date": 1602251564000
        },
        {
    "path": "SimObjects/Airplanes/Asobo_KingAir350/TEXTURE/KINGAIR350I_AIRFRAME_PROP_SLOW_ALBD.PNG.DDS.json",
    "date": 1600490613229
        }
      ]
    }

Manifest.json, from what I can tell, informs the Package Manager what your mod is called. It looks like this:

Code:
    {
    "dependencies": [],
    "content_type": "AIRCRAFT",
    "title": "Asobo_KingAir350_TEXTURE",
    "manufacturer": "<<MANUFACTURER>>",
    "creator": "Jim Goldman", 
    "package_version": "0.1.0", 
    "minimum_game_version": "1.7.12", 
    "release_notes": { 
    "neutral": { 
    "LastUpdate": "",
    "OlderHistory": ""
        }
      }
    }

Hopefully that was clear, I can upload the folder I created if that is more helpful. I only have a base level understanding of this stuff so if anyone knows better than I do please do let me know, especially if I made any errors.

Thanks again
    Yes please that would be great....these changes/additions should be a community effort.

The more we contribute the better the Flightsim experience.

I tried doing the community thing but never could make the new textures show up. I'll have to give it another shot.

Edit: I must have had the wrong folder tree structure in my "Community" version. It's working now - thanks to both of you!
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

I've doubled checked everything and it seems to work, if someone could verify though that would be great. I kind of just winged it (wung it?) and tried emulating the file structure of other repaints I have downloaded. It did not work without the .json files that correspond to each of the two textures.

Code:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W5qalKzQjvKEiAq6B6kMyWoBjsGdPHIr/view?usp=sharing

It works! My only suggestion now would be to compress into a zip instead of rar before uploading.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

If you upload new zip file with the new prop textures, please ask that my original file be removed and substituted for this one.
    It would help reduce confusion a bit.

Best

Jim

I wasn't planning on uploading. If you've already uploaded a rar to the library, I wouldn't worry about it.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Goldman View Post
    If you upload new zip file with the new prop textures, please ask that my original file be removed and substituted for this one.
    It would help reduce confusion a bit.

Best

Jim
    You made the textures, I wouldn't feel right uploading the package I created, I just wanted to share the method of altering files without overwriting any of the default stuff.

And thank you Tom for verifying that it works

Quote Originally Posted by ak416 View Post
    You made the textures, I wouldn't feel right uploading the package I created, I just wanted to share the method of altering files without overwriting any of the default stuff.

And thank you Tom for verifying that it works
    It's ok.....all this is a community effort.
    Let me look into the code and make the "config" file as per your suggestion....but would like to give you credit.

Jim

Thanks for fixing those cartoon prop textures.....

Quote Originally Posted by fuzz1 View Post
    Thanks for your effort Jim. These props are excellent...exactly as I would have made them, if only I could. The default cartoon ones game me a headache.
    I fly the King Air quite regularly.

There are plenty of other candidates in MSFS in desperate need of your prop beautification touch, if you are so inclined. I would surely download anything you
    possibly come up with.
    +1
    Great work on this one!
    Please, if you can, also work on the Bonanza. The recent turbo mod by Rob Young made it very attractive but I cant stand looking through this horrible prop disc effect up front.

Will look into it today once I finish the TBM and Super Cub prop textures.

Best

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Goldman View Post
    Will look into it today once I finish the TBM and Super Cub prop textures.

Best

Jim
    This post is a series of good news!!!

Thank you so much!!!

Is it too much of a hassle to ask if possible to have this mod in the community folder instead of changing the official files?

Edit: Just saw the posts above, please ignore and thanks again

Baron, Bonanza, Super Cub and TBM prop textures basically done. Need to test a little more.
    Hopefully will upload within the next two days.

Best

Jim

Members who have read this thread: 1