Tomcat vs Hornet?

Thread: Tomcat vs Hornet?

Tomcat vs Hornet?

I am not a fan of Hornets, mainly because I spent the first half of my USN career working on Cold War era jets, i.e Corsair IIs, Phantoms, Skyhawks, Crusaders, etc.... Plus, I was with VA-83 when they went through transition to Hornets. I'd rather work on a A-7 any day before dealing with a F-18. But here is a short video of Capt. Dale "Snort" Snodgrass, relating a dogfight challenge between him flying a Tomcat (a real war machine), vs a plastic Lawn Dart (Hornet). This is hilarious! I'd love to have the chance to meet Snort someday. NC

That is too funny. So either Capt. Kirk copied him or he read Capt. Kirk's book on tactics.

Ok...I'm a big nerd but so are those that get my reference...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blue Angels' Tomcats

Wonder why the Blues never had tomcats? I remember when they had issues using F-4's; they couldn't remain inverted too long as the fuel pumps would starve out.
    I remember back in the day when I was a NAS Miramar, the Blues took off and immediately went inverted and the roar of the engines briefly went silent; the sounds of
    panic from the crowds filled the air and for a moment, the inverted Phantoms were making a decent all to close to the ground, then the sounds of the J-79's could be heard
    as they went right side up and climbed into the sky. Wheww.... Never saw them doing that maneuver again (with phantoms).

http://www.hsgalleries.com/gallery04...angelsdt_1.htm

Brilliant! Sounds like he took a leaf from Joe "Hoser" Satrapa's rule book: "Never expect your enemy to be a nice guy."
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Wonder why the Blues never had tomcats? I remember when they had issues using F-4's; they couldn't remain inverted too long as the fuel pumps would starve out.
    I remember back in the day when I was a NAS Miramar, the Blues took off and immediately went inverted and the roar of the engines briefly went silent; the sounds of
    panic from the crowds filled the air and for a moment, the inverted Phantoms were making a decent all to close to the ground, then the sounds of the J-79's could be heard
    as they went right side up and climbed into the sky. Wheww.... Never saw them doing that maneuver again (with phantoms).

http://www.hsgalleries.com/gallery04...angelsdt_1.htm
    Yeah, at least Nos 5 & 6 flying the solo routine.

I'm with you, NC. Remember the days of carrier decks filled with colorful types in colorful paint? Alas, the days of Corsairs, Tomcats, Phantoms, Vigis, Intruders, and H-3s are long gone. These days I'm fairly certain that if the Navy could find a way to have the Whorenut hunt subs, hover, and carry cargo they'd replace the P-3s, H-60s, and CODs with them, too! Now that would be boring
    Last edited by nagpaw; October 8th, 2020 at 13:45. Reason: Fixed a typo.
    America never stopped being great.

That's good stuff Pete. @nagpaw: Agree! Today's flight deck crew will never experience the teeth rattling of an A-6 at full power on the cat. Or the "whoop whoop" of the S-3. Of course, I never got to see RF-8s or F-4s either. One day, old timers will be reminiscing about the Hornets, lol. When planes no longer have pilots!
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    That's good stuff Pete. @nagpaw: Agree! Today's flight deck crew will never experience the teeth rattling of an A-6 at full power on the cat. Or the "whoop whoop" of the S-3. Of course, I never got to see RF-8s or F-4s either. One day, old timers will be reminiscing about the Hornets, lol. When planes no longer have pilots!
    Oh, those Phantoms, just like the Intruders, were a challenge to move on the deck behind them. I remember grabbing for a padeye more than a few times, along with the heat intensity of their exhaust! NC

Viggies were beautiful to watch, but not fun to be behind, either! NC

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Viggies were beautiful to watch, but not fun to be behind, either! NC
    Even with the JBD's up and deflecting most of the heat we were getting incinerated as we stood behind Tilly to watch the launch!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	USS_Saratoga_(CV-60)_aerial_view_1994 (1).jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	79425
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    One day, old timers will be reminiscing about the Hornets, lol. When planes no longer have pilots!
    Amen! But in my opinion that would be like reminiscing about the Ford Focus (no offense to anyone driving a Focus...)
    America never stopped being great.

Tomcat vs Hornet

well don't forget the Whale A-3D, both engines were outside the JBD. Loved the Tomcat on the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by gunit View Post
    well don't forget the Whale A-3D, both engines were outside the JBD. Loved the Tomcat on the boat.
    Very true! Being in VAH-10 and VAQ-129 still flying the EKA-3b. It was way worse on the Hancock! JBD's were way smaller! Designed more for the F-ates and A-4s
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    Very true! Being in VAH-10 and VAQ-129 still flying the EKA-3b. It was way worse on the Hancock! JBD's were way smaller! Designed more for the F-ates and A-4s
    My memory fades with age, but I think you remember that the JBDs had three panels. The Whale's long fuselage required the center panel down, the outside one's were up. Nonetheless, that caused a lot of escaping blast between the two extended panels.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    My memory fades with age, but I think you remember that the JBDs had three panels. The Whale's long fuselage required the center panel down, the outside one's were up. Nonetheless, that caused a lot of escaping blast between the two extended panels.
    Could be, Mike! I seem to remember when the Whale was on the CAT, only the center JBD coming up and I thought it was useless as hell! I was looking for any pics showing that, but have come up empty, so far.

I did find one pic of an aircraft on the CAT. It's an A-4 with the one and only JBD raised.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a-4f-skyhawks-being-launched-from-the-deck-of-the-aircraft-carrier-uss-hancock-cva-19-for-a-stri.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	116.5 KB 
ID:	79433

Members who have read this thread: 0