The First Look at Boom’s Supersonic Plane

Thread: The First Look at Boom’s Supersonic Plane

The First Look at Boom’s Supersonic Plane

t’s been almost 20 years since the Concorde was retired, putting an end to commercial supersonic flight for the very rich. But out in Colorado, the startup Boom Technology has raised $160 million in its quest to build a replacement, one that should be cheaper, more comfortable and able to fly more routes. Here’s an exclusive first look at Boom’s prototype test plane, the XB-1.

<span dir="auto" class="style-scope yt-formatted-string">

May as well just remake Concorde with newer materials

Interesting how they both look very similar. I haven't seen anything about how they will hide the pointy nose from view during landing....?

Maybe a video camera on the nose gear? It's what we all have been practicing for right?
    W10-64 Pro, 3GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon HD 5570

The A-380 has several cameras to help the flight crew get around on the tarmac, so why not?
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by centuryseries View Post
    I haven't seen anything about how they will hide the pointy nose from view during landing....?
    I think it's crack open a window and lean out. May as well make it a tail-dragger too.

The modular engines would make it easier to upgrade than Concorde. Still, it's like our beauty got blootered and had a one nighter with a 727.

Jamie

PS. Sorry but $160million ain't anywhere near enough to fund such a project.

SOH-CM-2023
    My initial response to that design is that I hope the engine intakes don't get blanked at the high AOA for take off & landing. As for the TV for T/O & landing can it cope with direct looking into the sun &/or reflections off water, also with only effectively a fixed view 2D image one has lost peripheral vision & that the human eye can focus very quickly within the narrow visual acuity range, whilst still receiving peripheral information. Alright one can practice with FS9 or FSX with some of those limitations, & I would guess even with VR vision, it could be difficult for commercial use safely...how many back up cameras for example?
    Otherwise its got to be Cat 3 plus Auto land system, & forget being a pilot & become a computer manager behind a desk at home!
    Keith

Members who have read this thread: 0