Server upgrade coming — important
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Server upgrade coming — important

Exclamation Server upgrade coming — important

In the next few weeks the SOH server will be upgraded and all login cookies will be lost. Please make sure right now that your login and email address are correct on your profile. If your email address is out of date, you won’t be able to reset password on the new server. This is not our doing, it’s the hosting company, so please check your details now.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Why do the words "Upgrade" "Improvement" and "tweaking" always fill me with dread when it comes to the world of technology, and indeed many other walks of life!?

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Why do the words "Upgrade" "Improvement" and "tweaking" always fill me with dread when it comes to the world of technology, and indeed many other walks of life!?
    The thing which triggers that feeling is called "experience".....

Cheers,
    Huub

Thanks for he heads up!

Are we all going to have to reset our password? Is this one of those, "can't have this, must have that," Pentagon-style password requirements, or can we just keep what we're happy with and keep going as if there was no change on our ends? To be honest I'm out of ideas for passwords that are meaningful using keys on my keyboard I'd never use in the first place.

Thanks!

Jorge

Icon23

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Because you're 360 year old luddite and Lord Protector...that's why...ha ha

Cheers

Shessi

Great news!!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

What if the e-mail adress has not been active for ages, and cannot be recovered (provider no longer exists...)? Will we be able to log in with the current login/password?

IIRC, there is an issue with changing email in the user's profile, which leads to the loss of the account.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxane-21 View Post
    What if the e-mail adress has not been active for ages, and cannot be recovered (provider no longer exists...)? Will we be able to log in with the current login/password?
    Once the server upgrade is done, you won’t be able to log in and will have to do a password recovery. This means a recovery link is sent to the email address in your profile. So make sure your profile has a current, valid address. Do it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxane-21 View Post
    IIRC, there is an issue with changing email in the user's profile, which leads to the loss of the account.
    I had an old email address in my profile which was about to expire a few months ago. The profile updated without issues. So do yours now!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Thanks for the heads up. Hadn't used that address in over a decade!

Maybe I'm blind, but where do I find the email I've associated with this forum? Can't seem to find it in my profile.

From "My Profile" go to" Send Private Message" then "Edit Profile" and over in the top middle of the page is "Edit Email & Password". Took me awhile to fine it.

There is an easier way.

From the main page, find "Settings" on top right corner (just next to "Log Out"), then find "Edit Email & Password" on the left side of the screen.

Just done it, and worked perfectly. Thanks hairyspin!

Thanks for the info!

Merci pour l'info
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www3.telus.net/murrdaka/

Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    Because you're 360 year old luddite and Lord Protector...that's why...ha ha

Cheers

Shessi
    You are so right!

But 360 years of experience has taught me many things. The most important three being

Rule 1} "Trust Technology at your peril!"

Followed by

Rule 2) "Technology is a good servant but bad master."

Final rule

Rule 3) When the lesson of rule one is not learnt, rule two takes immediate affect."

What ever happened with this, issues with the switch, or are we caught in the 2 week promise loop?
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

I don't know, Major, and for the moment I'm as much in the dark as you.
    Tom

For what it is worth, I've noticed a marked improvement in site performance.

Priller

PS: but the server hasn't been moved yet. Not interruption at all.
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

Any further news about this?
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Hold on to your hat

As advised above, this is happening this weekend. Wish the admins luck and I hope to see you all on the other side!
    Tom

Good luck to all involved! Password, email and other account stuff saved!

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

Good luck!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www3.telus.net/murrdaka/

So, evidently the login cookies were preserved, as I've not had to do anything special to get back in since the server upgrade.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Same here. Came back after the upgrade and was still logged in. Assuming all is complete now, well done!

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Same here also. Thanks

Members who have read this thread: 0