Realisation and appreciation.

Thread: Realisation and appreciation.

Realisation and appreciation.

Now I know Huub is not a big softie, and neither am I, but something made me sit up and realise something about the Fs9/CFS2 forums, and the rest of SOH, and what certain people do for this great mecca of flightsim.

I just uploaded Erwin Welker's FSX version here and posted about the new file in the FSX forum. Although it's been viewed 139 times and downloaded just 10 times, not one person has had the decency to even acknowledge it, or the effort by various people. Now, and I am being totally honest here, I don't want/need any back-slapping or adulation, but maybe a simple show of mild enthusiasm would be nice and helpful....but no...nothing. Is that FSX 'snobbery' about what files people deem worthy, or just complacency?

I then counted the number of 0/zero answered posts in each forum for the last year, some 50 for FSX, 17 for CFS2 (that surprised me!), but only 12 for Fs9...so just one a month not replied to in Fs9. And I think that low number is down to the type of people in the Fs9 forum, and especially how Huub takes care of us here. I'm not having a go at FSXers and that forum moderators, just pointing these things out.

So thank you Huub, for your support and nurturing. For almost always being the first to answer a post, being positive and encouraging, supplying beautiful screen shots and helpful suggestions. Of course there are others here, but Huub has formal forum resposibilities as well.

Huub, this is not meant to be 'schmaltzy' and embarrassing, just a good fact.

(And please nobody post a response to my FSX uboat post, just beacause I mentioned it, thanks!)

Cheers

Shessi

I can't answer for others, but in my case, I have zero interest in some threads or uploads. I would be disingenuous if I "raw, rawed" something I neither know anything about or would ever download.

A bit off topic now. I was originally led to this forum by a former next door neighbor. He rightly raved about the community here with a few caveats. A few months later he happened to criticize an upload and was thoroughly trashed for doing so by a moderator here. His criticism was justified in my opinion. I downloaded the model to have a look and it was nowhere near accurate. To praise something that does not depict what it says it does is ludicrous. He left permanently calling the site a self admiration society. Let me say I totally disagree with that, but the site lost a very talented designer. I have a few of his planes and they are awesome. Due to his experience here, they were never uploaded anywhere and he quit to design cars for another sim....
    Matt

Icon4

Hear ya..... BUT, i told ya already to paint the thing yellow...

Icon5

Aeronca,
    The point I was making is not about people feeling they have to post on subjects they have little or no interest in, but the fact they do of their own volition here, showing support, AND mostly that we have a moderator in this Fs9 forum that bothers to make an effort to do a supportive, nurturing job.

Hmmmm...again maybe missing the point, I wish you hadn't taken this potentially positive thought and turned it into a rant about a personal issue.

And Mav, if I do, I'll also shove it where the sun don't shine...

Hugs

Shessi

SOH-CM-2023
    For me, I have learnt a lot from SOH FS9 & FSX forum members over the years & I like to think I have been rewarded by my number of downloads from A.N.Other website, why they are there? Well I just chose that as convenient at the time Britsim failed. There have been disagreements - which in general have been amicably corrected, me learning in the process. Like aeronca1 I do not follow all threads - I don't really have the time - it speeds past me at an alarming rate these days.....
    Real world interceded the other day when Shessi & I met up at my local Cafe & had a very good chinwag, & hope to continue these Covid 19 permitting.
    An even better experience a couple of weeks ago was when I was invited by a forum member for a trip in an aircraft not yet modelled (to my knowledge) so that is now WIP, but will remain the property of the owners group & will be up to them to place it when (if) it satisfactorily meets specification...
    Keith

P.S. I do though follow & try to recognise aircraft posted on the Historical Wings Society thread - very interesting, didn't know there were that many different aircraft built!
    K

I hear what your saying Shessi, Its one of the reasons for my (some would say) backward move from FSX to 9. partly practical, how painless FS9 runs with Win10, how good i can get it looking and smooth performance, but also thats there seems genuine interest here. I still have a bloody minded attitude of "i create for my own enjoyment, and if anyone else like's it, then thats a bonus" but it is nice to know others are getting the same pleasure
    Huub is quite a guy, and a pretty slick re-painter too

Thanks for the kind words guys. For me its not a big effort as I simply like to be here and there is a huge difference between the forums of the old sims (FS9/cfs3/cfs2) and the FSX forum.

When FSX arrived most people in the FS2004 forum switched to the newer sim, simply as most people like "better, more beautiful and the newest" (whatever that might be). A part remained here. Some because their machine wouldn't run FSX and some as they simply preferred FS9. I was among the last group. But when I was asked as beta tester for several FSX projects, I considered very interesting, I made the switch as well. However I never abandoned FS9, as due to its simplicity, it was much more fun to play with. When Lockheed Martin's P3D arrived the FSX started to break up in a similar way as the FS9 forum did in 2006. As I decided not to make the switch to P3D (simply not worth the effort). I returned to FS9 and when Tom Clayton left I volunteered to replace him as moderator.

As most people in this forum are here by choice (like in the other older sims) we are much more a community. Mainly because we are more alike than we perhaps realise. With the arrival of MSFS and PRB, the FSX forum starts to fall apart even faster as all the people who like the "better, more beautiful and the newest" move on. Some will remain with FSX like we did in FS9. As a lot in FSX is payware some people have invested quite a lot of money so I expect this group will remain reasonably large. And I'm sure they will create their own community like happened in the other old (and partly abandoned) sims.

Personally I think every question deserves an answer. As we have a lot of very knowledgeable people in this forum, I don't feel obliged to answer every question, but when nobody else does I will give my best effort. I have always considered freeware a free present. Therefore I always appreciate the time and effort people have put into it. For me it doesn't need to be the "best, most beautiful or newest". For me it needs to be fun.

As an example; Flying Keith's Miles Hawk in FS9 provides me more fun that flying the same model, made by a well known payware designer in FSX. Simply because Keith made it for me as a gift and for the other one I had to pay (Although it was definitely worth the small amount they asked for it ). And as I'm Dutch I like to get things for free

So guys thanks again for the nice words and your presence here is highly appreciated as it would be quite lonely without you.

Cheers,
    Huub

It's interesting to note that while there are so many more unanswered threads in the FSX forum, there are several times as many FSX users than FS9 users, so there are several times as many people not replying to those ignored posts in the FSX forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    It's interesting to note that while there are so many more unanswered threads in the FSX forum, there are several times as many FSX users than FS9 users, so there are several times as many people not replying to those ignored posts in the FSX forum.
    Hold on!! I don't fly FS9 anymore, but I've got a habbit of trying to help people in whatever forum a question is asked that I can answer. It's not that people flying more modern sims are of less good will or anything!

Just wanted to make that clear.

Priller (who flies P3Dv4.5, MSFS, CFS3 and CloD)
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Mick,
    A good point.

Pips,
    I wasn't, and I'm sure Mick wasn't, insinuating that everyone in the FSX forum, or it's Moderators, lack good will or care, or I/we wish to insult anyone. It's more a case that possibly the Fs9 forum and it's Moderator makes more of an effort to show appreciation and support, as borne out by the fact that the number of FSX-ers are far greater than Fs9, but have a much higher rate of ignored posts. More a 'food for thought' point of view.

Anyhoo, onwards and upwards....

Cheers

Shessi

Priller,

Please don't misunderstand me. What I try to say is that because we are a relatively small community, we are closer. Which is most probably the reason why we react earlier on each other. It also helps that some of us know each other already fro a very long time.

The FSX community is still larger and there for more people expect another might answer (Crowd effect/mob psychology). However as the community is shrinking as well due to the more modern sims. The chance somebody else will react is becoming smaller.

It has not much to do with the individuals, but more with behaviour of a group.

Cheers,
    Huub

I'll give you guys this: This board and the CFS2 board on the forum are the friendliest.

Although I must say that MSFS is developping nicely.

Again, just MHO!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Members who have read this thread: 0