Crash to desktop in Essex campaign
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crash to desktop in Essex campaign

Crash to desktop in Essex campaign

Hello all,

I have been struggling for what feels like weeks now to make any significant progress through the Essex campaign. However, I can never get past the first couple missions before I perpetually crash to desktop (usually the Wake missions). I take off all fine and good, but I can never load the next action scene. I have actually flown to within 35 nm of the rendezvous point several times as well, but same result - abrupt crash to desktop.

Is there any fix or clues as to what I'm doing wrong? I installed and re-installed several times, following Rami's PTO instructions (and the individual installations) to a T. Sometimes it's the first Wake mission (F6F-3), sometimes the second (SBD). I am operating off of a brand new Predator Helios 300, so I know my computer can handle it. I've been super excited to fly through this campaign, but I'm starting to lose hope for it Any and all advice is welcome - this is a cry for help!!

Steven

Just wanted to add that I've been hunting for conflicting files... I've found nothing in the scenery, aircraft, ships, airfields and runways (I have Gavin C's) that was obvious. Mayday!

First I would check the route directory for text file error log , to see if your getting a can,t find aircraft , listing ,then
    compare your aircraft folder for something , that matches , if there, open and be sure you have , a panel and sound cfg ,
    if alais show,s up , be sure , the alais refferance to a different aircraft , is also included in your aircraft directory ,

Stevo45557
    Hmm. I haven't been flying for a bit but just discovered the same issue. I did get the first mission (F6F) over the target area. Quit without finishing and went to the
    avenger mission to wake and CTD. SBD same issue! ???

The error.log file is a text file you can open with notepad/wordpad.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Question Reply...

Steve and others,

The first place I would start is to make sure that the Wake Island scenery that Shadow Wolf 07 uses for the Essex campaign is installed and working correctly. If it is not, I highly speculate that this is the reason why you're getting CTD errors.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the Wake scenery over and over again, nothing doing. I will give it another go tonight and see if the error.log file reveals anything...

I actually just found an error log from my other laptop, which I was using only a couple weeks ago. Here's what it contains:

[Mission file error]
    error=Unable to init unit 9180
    title=Essex_AG-Wake VT-9 Bombing Strike 2_TBF
    filename=C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Combat Flight Simulator 2\MISSIONS\essex_ag-wake-strike-2_tbfj

Thought this was an SBD mission though, not a TBF, so a little confused there. Just wanted to drop this in before I fire up my other computer and give it a run. I presume the unit 9180 refers to an AI flight...

Quote Originally Posted by Rami View Post
    Steve and others,

The first place I would start is to make sure that the Wake Island scenery that Shadow Wolf 07 uses for the Essex campaign is installed and working correctly. If it is not, I highly speculate that this is the reason why you're getting CTD errors.
    I tend to agree with Rami's suggestion. I've had no problems with CTDs and I built those missions on my win7 system and tested them on my win10 laptop. I will test them again and see...

You ARE using the Wake 43.gsl, right?
    "De Oppresso Liber"

when I check the mission .mis file in notepad, the unit id 9180 also references type id 3860. Towards the bottom of the file, I see this:

[unit_type.3]
    type_id=3860
    unit_family=1
    name=FDG2_F6f5_VF12

When I check my aircraft...it ain't there! I cannot say for sure at the moment, but maybe the FDG2 VF12 hellcat is not listed in the download sheet within the campaign files. I have to get to my other computer to double check that, but I do feel a sudden pang of optimism at the moment!

SW
    I am sure when I installed this in May that I flew several missions with no issues--but-- ?? I will go back in a few days and see if I can find MY issue!

Open the mission file = notepad look for 9180 and find out which aircraft it,s calling for , check your aircraft folder to see
    if you have the matching aircraft ,,,,, just caught your post , your on the right track fella

On my gaming laptop now, and sure enough I have the VF12 hellcat installed. Everything seems fine with it, so unfortunately it's back to the drawing board on this one. I do not see an error log file, so I'll start it up and see what I get

name=(FDG2_F6f5_VF12)-----has to match the aircraft folder name ,,,and it should select from free flight ,,and fly ,
    if it does , with no error log , for tracing , then I would look at ship,s added , or missing , from campaigne listing ,
    other than that a scenery file missing , good luck ,

just started the first Wake Island mission in the f6f-3 and of course, another crash to desktop (this was a fresh install, too). no error log was created, so I have nothing to work with here

Thinking back when I did CFS1 to CFS2 anytime I saw errors like this it mean a mission trigger was messed up and nuking the .dyn and starting over was the only option.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

What I will do is re=do the mission(s) to assure they are clean then post them, along with an amended campaign .cmg, here and replace them in the d/l folder. I'm busy right now, but will get to it tomorrow.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Stevo4557
    I do have the FDG2 F6F-5_VF12 in my A/C for my Essex 2020 install. I did find that there was a missing objects that was not included in Wolfi's consolidated Library_Objects_ Package but in his CFS2_Library_Objects_ Part_1( JAP_fuel_trk) when I was flying missions earlier this year. This was when in was using my old XP up until May
    However I got a newer desktop unit in May and although all my fight sims are on a separate HD, I now am getting CTD before anything starts on the Essex 2020.
    Formerly using XP now Windows 10. All the sims seem to be working OK except Essex 2020, so now I have to sort to what is happening here with my computer and the Essex 2020 install.

The problem was with the Desktop Icon
    I am able to fly the missions to Wake as the F6F-3 as the player A/C but looks like the issue is with the Dauntless and Avenger missions. I am going to be trying each mission to Wake. Maybe not finish tonight!

I tried again last night and could not get the 1st Wake mission to load up after take-off. Sometimes I get to the SBD mission, but most times I don't. It seems so weird to me that that particular mission can work sometimes, but not others. I'm totally perplexed and out of ideas.

Shadow wolf 07 and
    Stevo4557
    A clue.
    From my observation all the missions with the TBF and SBD-3 have an issue. Galvanic ,Wake, etc all CTD. SBD-3 gets off carrier then CTD and TBF CTD before ever loads. All the F6F missions I loaded up fly. The SBD-5 missions seem ok. I flew two of them.

Highpockets

I wish I could even get that far. It feels like a coin flip with the f6f, but the SBD and TBF missions, forget it. And since no error file is generated, it feels like pure guesswork to me.

Almost done

I have re-done and test flown 2 of the Wake missions involved - the F6F and the SBD missions. I will work on the TBF mission tomorrow, package all 3 zip them up and post them here and fix the download in the library. I still don't know what the problem is, but I re-did them anyway. Here's a screen shot:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KhG_048D.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Nice screen shot

Stevo and Highpockets

It is loading the SBD but crashes shortly after , with out an Error log ,
    that to me seem,s like an ordinance carry , The bomb load perhaps ,
    I would open the DP find the bomb load out call name ,,,
    then open the objects dp listing , and verify the same name convention
    is present ,, for all the bombs/payloads , specific to that dp ---

quick test , free flight , test each drop of the payloads ,,

airstart ,,
    do any of the pay loads selected dissapear ?

yes , then hunt for a missing object dp ,

no , they all select and fall away (thats great),

Shadow Wolf probably has the object dp in his listing , and cannot replicate the CTD ----

Sarg Willy
    Good tip. I may give it a try later today. I love SW missions and it may be as you said. I am a novice at these kind of things and SW will probably find and fix, if it is on his end.
    Thanks

Members who have read this thread: 0