CFS3 Battle of Britain Install update is out!

Thread: CFS3 Battle of Britain Install update is out!

Hybrid View

Long load time.

Enjoying the new BoB but I am experiencing extremely long load times to get it up and running. 10 mins plus!

Anyone else had this?

Blog Entries
    Mine loads up pretty quickly, much more so than the ETO.

You can speed it up by adding items to the preload.xml, check out the ETO install version for pointers.
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Pattle View Post
    Mine loads up pretty quickly, much more so than the ETO.

You can speed it up by adding items to the preload.xml, check out the ETO install version for pointers.
    Thanks Pat. Probably not helped by the fact my CFS3 runs on a laptop, which I believe was the same model as the one Sir Isaac Newton was using whilst sitting under an apple tree!

@ Daiwilletti. David, what's your opinion on installing BoB Alpha and MkI over your CFS3standard plus? I am thinking it might be an improvement , but on the other hand, the BoB install might remove a lot of those improvements?

I was looking at the preload xml to see what was involved. Seems to be all dds files, mainly effect related ones. What exactly can go in there?

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
    @ Daiwilletti. David, what's your opinion on installing BoB Alpha and MkI over your CFS3standard plus? I am thinking it might be an improvement , but on the other hand, the BoB install might remove a lot of those improvements?

I was looking at the preload xml to see what was involved. Seems to be all dds files, mainly effect related ones. What exactly can go in there?
    Hi James, I think you are right, the Mk1 package would overwrite some files. I think better to put in some judiciously-selected files into the finished BoB Mk1 install.

I would stick in the master effects xml, all the weapons from my favourite install (so as to include tracer effects), and Ankors shaders. For those inclined as per Rince33, a quick trip to the Assets folder for whatever scenrey they like, will take a bit longer. However I like what Pat Pattle (Clive) is doing with photo scenery, I think that has legs and can continue to develop.

I also put in a bundle of files from the Assets folder which are common across most of my installs - things like meshbuilderbudgets, landclass.xml, scenery and texture budgets. And of course my tweaked uisel.xml in the Appdata pathway for campaign purposes. (only for the few with a taste for campaigns.

As for the preload.xml I have a lot of versions floating around - I think there is one specifically to go with Ankors shaders? Did MajorMagee do it?

FWIW

Have the dynamic reticles working again. The gunsight entries, from the shaders install, were missing in the effects.xml.

Bob

Aircraft Vapour Trails.

I note these were not added. Here are the xdps for most if not all relevant aircraft. There are one or two aircraft's xdp files of aircraft you may not have but I think you might need for some of the missions. These are from the ETO install and AFAIK putting just those xdp files in the install will not matter. In any case you can just check the files to see what's there. I may upload this to the Warbirds Library at a later date when the trials of the 'Fighter Command' voice app from sdsbolt is complete and I have added those F.C. aircraft to the install and added the missions for them.

The effects are only visible at some point > 20K ft. <25K ft., so even though I have added them to some bombers, unless they are over 20k ft. you won't have to worry about seeing them.

INSTALLATION:

I. DELETE ALL the bdp files in your aircraft folder.

2. Just place the aircraft folder into your install and allow overwrite of xdp file which are the only files in my aircraft folder.

3. Place the effects folder into your install. You need the 2 dds files in fxtextures.

4. If you are already using Daiwilletti/Major Magee's combined effects file, you do not need to add anything to your effects.xml file. If not, add the lines from the txt file AFTER first searching in your one that those lines are NOT already there.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

This is the time of year where I gravitate back to CFS3, baseball is over, there's no Oak Island episodes till next year and the threat of some snow in the morning. Having just installed BoB and the new update, my evenings suddenly look much more eventful. Thanks to all involved for your time and hard work!

Members who have read this thread: 5