My New Destinations

Thread: My New Destinations

My New Destinations

Papua New Guinea has become my go-to destination for Bush Flying using Lionhearts Kodiak. I've already done several Missionary strips that are not in FSX, nothing special just adding the location with a few huts and some people milling about, lol. This image below is my starting point based on videos I've been watching on youtube.

PNG-2020-sep-28-001 by Ed Wells, on Flickr

Lots yet to do as I'm still researching the buildings before I move to Sketchup to start building them.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Fantastic! I love this YouTube channel, and look forward to maybe recreating a few of True Ryan's flights one day

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceWeevil View Post
    Fantastic! I love this YouTube channel, and look forward to maybe recreating a few of True Ryan's flights one day
    Yep, his videos are really excellent and he posts the flight plans on his website, only drawback is that it costs you a "Patreon Fee" of $10 a month in order to access them. I've tried pausing his video from time to time to get the destination IATA or ICAO codes because he rarely pronounces the Mission Airstrips so that I can understand them, lol. Also many of the airstrips he flies to are not in FSX so finding them, even in Google Earth Pro is hit and miss.

Current System Specs:

Like it Falcon. I have been a PNG fan for ages but as you say not much about scenery wise. Used to live there once upon a time and did some flying there but later and mostly coastal, really dangerous place to fly and one of the most challenging environments and flying in the world. All flying is literally hot and high, very hot and high elevations.

One of the problems there is most of the inland or highland strips are literally a goat track up the side of a hill, particularly the missionary strips. Others are missing altogether like WAU which has a good strip in real life and was the centre of PNG gold mining etc for a long time but not in FSX and because of the slopes and hills I surrended trying to get sloping runways working in FSX but it was and still is up to DC3 standard. The ORBX Tapini is good and the Holgar Mesh for PNG is recommended to get the elevation correct. There is an updated modern package for some of the main towns using photoscenery but all the rest are basically forgotten and unknown, there is a small number in FSX but not many. I found the Cal Classic Asia Pacific bundle had a few and they even did AI with timetables operating as per the 1960s which is fun to run across a C-47 doing a run now and then.

I have personally concentrated on float plane and flying boat bases and done a few using Instant Scenery. If you like I can bundle them up and drop them to you via a PM. I have done PNG Harbour (Fairfax Harbour), Ella Beach, Rabaul, Lake Kutubu, Finschafen, Jacquinot Bay, Moewe Harbour, Kavieno, Buka, Kiet, Queen Carola Harbour, Javieng, Talasea, Yandina.

I could not do Samarai Island (the old capital before Moresby) as it the island is missing completely in FSX and even ORBX Global could not fix that issue) but it is a classic time piece now with its dilapidated colonial buildings, the US Marines burnt the place to the ground during WW2 to stop the Japanese using it. Anyway if you drop them into you scenery folder you may have some objects but the water runways etc and location will come and they are accurate re position. You can say PNG was where my love affair with aviation started, something about being in the blister of the Qantas Catalina on take off and landing on the Fly river to get into your blood and an Otter on floats was some beast when your a little fella.

My go to in PNG is the Otter (Floats or wheeled), the Catalina and the JBK Sandringham. If I am feeling a bit more modern I will use the C-47, the Dash 7 or the Twin Otter. All Good fun. I have all the liveries for the period for all these birds. I have not tried any singles like the Cessna 180 and 206 which were used extensively in PNG - flew them for real once upon a time not my cup of tea.

JUst remember like the real place, if you have real weather selected go early and get home before lunch, the builds up and cloud in the afternoon is a no go. And yep the hills around Mount Hagen are above F150.

Oh yes and Rabaul is no good anymore even ORBX etc show the place as it is now post the volcano eruption which basically destroyed old Rabaul, which is a shame but way it is. Had a few good overnights there fascinating place. Same as Guadacanal and all those strips back and forth to PNG as well. Never ending sim pleasure.

Just to whet your appetite:

Cat at Kikori:

Cat at Kerema:

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    Just to whet your appetite:
    Cat at Kerema:

I am looking for that texture (I know it is PBY-5A CATALINA "QANTAS VH-EBD", by Matt Levi.
    But was not able to find it (aussiex.org being down from years now...)

Any clue were I could get it ??

Thanks - Gérard

Gerard - Matt is a regular visitor to SOH not sure if he can get it to you. I have a copy of the original zip download which I could PM to you if this helps, your right it was at AussieX before that all fell into heap.

Interesting Flying

You bet! A few years ago, "Seatime" over at 91st BG(va) each week did daily flightplans he created for us to fly together in JoinFS all around New Guinea to the airfields that are in FSX/P3D. I flew my new Carenado Cessna 208B and did a pretty good job of all the "touch 'n go's" which is how the flightplans were set up. We used Holgar's mesh from ORBX. I have the Lionheart Quest Kodiak which I got when it first came out and had a lot of fun flying it too. One of the very first with the G1000 that worked pretty close to real thing. Our church supported a missionary and his family to Papua, NG, met them personally. He had to come home after he had two strokes, sadly, and has never quite recovered completely. His doctor's have him stateside bound now. Great Christian people.

Updated Image for Wewak (Boram). Working on the airport terminal and hangars. Still quite a bit to do.

PNG_Boram-002 by Ed Wells, on Flickr

Current System Specs:

Looking very nice already!

As a result of your recent posts, I've been flying around PNG in a RealAirScout. I'm enjoying it greatly and last night flew from Koboto to Emo Mission. Anxiously awaiting your new scenery.

Thanks for the effort you put into the sceneries.

Quote Originally Posted by Penzoil3 View Post
    https://orbxdirect.com/product/ayeo
    Great addon for PNG!
    Sue
    Thanks Sue, had that on my "go get it" list so thanks for reminding me. I decided to do Kokota and then realized that Orbx had a nice package that included that Air Strip. Being perpetually short on cash I'll stick with what I'm doing. Still have some color adjustments to make and lots of huts and other buildings to add but when finished it will be available for anyone who wants it (along with Boram/Wewak which is getting close to completion).

Kokoda_PNG by Ed Wells, on Flickr

Current System Specs:

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    Gerard - Matt is a regular visitor to SOH not sure if he can get it to you. I have a copy of the original zip download which I could PM to you if this helps, your right it was at AussieX before that all fell into heap.
    Try AVsim, Matt has uploaded a lot of his textures to that site. Try using the search using Matt Levi or Matthew Levi.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    Try AVsim, Matt has uploaded a lot of his textures to that site. Try using the search using Matt Levi or Matthew Levi.
    I did !) But was not there.
    Thanks to BendyFlyer I got this bird livery

Gérard

Members who have read this thread: 0