FS9 rebuild (merged thread)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FS9 rebuild (merged thread)

FS9 rebuild (merged thread)

Hello, I got some time off from work and came back home. Wow flying over from the UK is dang big bucks now since the world went off the deep end.

I am testing a complete revamp of fs2004. Tom at cr1 is rebuilding the sim to a way higher level. I got to fly it a bit. He calls it (The Sim) Freedom...reasons his own.

I got to fly it a bit, its looking good. There is a lot of work to go yet, but new shaders are planned. He says its all going out for free.

This looks like a years worth of work at least, maybe more...

It is coming along. He is working out water right now. Then onto land class.

https://youtu.be/obI8ZLRXAnc

FS9 rebuild

I took time away from working on the high end **** I am building for P3d and MSFS.

I spend the last two weeks upgrading and modernizing fs9.

So far I did the following:
    - New clouds.
    -New Sky textures for all time of day and night.
    -New water.
    -New water effects-modernized.
    -New Trees-Much more high def and colors brilliance.
    -New sun for all times of day.
    -New Moon.
    -New stars.
    -New run ways

Now the best part. I spent 13 or so hours today and built a all new direct x 11/12 shader dll! It is still in early development but so far the results are very encouraging. Now we have cockpit shading, dynamic!
    The sim just stopped using clubs and moved up to rocket launchers! It came out of the stone age.

I will get this dialed in perfect and then I will do all the texture dll's for texture expansion. I will then start working on the land class, the buildings and mesh.

In the end I hope in a couple years to be knocking on P3D's door, and it will look better run easier and be free.

I found a way to get in newer detailed level models with minimum frame hit as well.

Slim is working on a video to show you the progress. It will be up tomorrow morning.

Check it out!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FS9 Shaders.jpg   cessna 182.jpg  
    Cr1-Software.Ltd
    www.cr1-software.com

Your source for fine Flight Simulation enhancements!

Members +
    Wow, this looks like it will really revitalize FS9!.

Is this going to be payware?
    Thanks, Tom, for not forgetting us, & for still supporting us FS9'ers.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Members +
    This is really exciting stuff.
    I have a separate FS9 install that I'm using to test scenery, clouds & so on, to try better the best so far. I've been using combinations of what is out there, TNW, Obyx free, etc, BUT this is worth waiting for..
    Thanks for teasing us!!!
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Question Thoughts?

Hi Tom,
    Great to see some WIP pics, thanks.

And fantastic potential you're working on, very interesting and exciting for us Fs9-ers.

A caveat though, I see you're mentioning working on DX11/12 shaders and there lies a problem either for you or us.

As Fs9 is so old and came out when DX was at v9, and a lot of people are still using Fs9 on older OS's (eg I'm using it beautifully on another XP machine), so anyone with XP (max is DX9c) or possible Vista (can use DX11 sometimes), and you develop the shaders and other updates for DX11/12, you are going to deny a lot of people your superb upgrades.

I'm not being negative, but it could mean the difference of you doing this for fewer people that could take advantage of it, or you not bothering as you don't want to use or are limited by the DX version you have to use/develop?

Cheers

Shessi

Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    Hi Tom,
    Great to see some WIP pics, thanks.

And fantastic potential you're working on, very interesting and exciting for us Fs9-ers.

A caveat though, I see you're mentioning working on DX11/12 shaders and there lies a problem either for you or us.

As Fs9 is so old and came out when DX was at v9, and a lot of people are still using Fs9 on older OS's (eg I'm using it beautifully on another XP machine), so anyone with XP (max is DX9c) or possible Vista (can use DX11 sometimes), and you develop the shaders and other updates for DX11/12, you are going to deny a lot of people your superb upgrades.

I'm not being negative, but it could mean the difference of you doing this for fewer people that could take advantage of it, or you not bothering as you don't want to use or are limited by the DX version you have to use/develop?

Cheers

Shessi

Hi there.
    Not if you build the dll. to know to use versions from dx9c up. So it will have a usable range of dx versions to use. fs9 will use everything from dx9 to dx12, but...I built the dll. to sit in front of fs9 and sort or translate dx12 for fs9 so that fs9 thinks its using dx9. Most of the new games out there that are revamps, such as Crysis and Bioshock do this for their new revamped high fidelity rebuilds of older games.
    Cr1-Software.Ltd
    www.cr1-software.com

FS9 Rebuilt project with new shaders.

Hello all, I have this video of a beta of the Cr1/Toms new Fs9 rebuild. He calls the sim "Freedom" I don't know why...ask him lol. But you can probably guess why. So far he has done the Clouds, sky blues of all times of the day. Trees are all new. New water enhancements. Runways, moon, sun, stars. This video is showing the beginnings of a new Shader dll. that will allow fs9 to work with the Direct x 11/12 and all that allows for 3d and graphic enhancements. When you watch the video you will see the shader be clicked off and on every once in a while. He also gave me the development beta so I can switch it on and off with a mouse click. That is to show you the difference between the new shader and with out. I will post more videos on this development as it progresses. This just updated Flight Simulator 2004 Century of Flight about 10 years. I have it on my work computer and it has three screens that I use for code, application translation and then the game running as you players would see it so on one screen I can turn the dll. on or off. So watch closely as I fly around. Also I start off with the water reflections turned off and holy the water looks so good, then I turn it on just one default setting and its real cool. There is going to be a finer adjustment tool handed out for reflection setting to 1 decimal instead of four, so you can fine tune the reflections.

So watch the video carefully and you will see me click on and off the shader periodically.

Its very new in development but impressive to say the least. I was kinda surprised actually! I build games for a living so I know how he did it, but I'm impressed with how he implemented it, that is major thinking out of the box big time.

This video uses the stock 208 Caravan as an example of what a good light emulation ddl. can do, the Caravan looks way better, gauges are more real and have depth. So look at the water, I mean wow, I turned off the Shader then turn it on its incredible. The detail on the buildings just pop out at you, the boats look like all new models but they aren't. And these are just stock textures so far. I know he is going to build all of that as well, this is just the start.
    Also I have the NEW Do 335, that is strictly for P3D V 5 and up with all the crazy detail,(not the freeware one he is also working on) he got it to run in this game with not many frame hit.

From what Tom tells me it will be freeware but not down loadable as each installer will be custom built for each person as the technology in this is very valuable to Cr1 and its going into a new game that they are building. So you will have to deal with him on this. But I know that you will have to have fs2002 or fs2004. You wont be getting the whole game only the components to add into the game.

I will video more on this and show it to you as it progresses.

https://youtu.be/ag8SfT5h_-s

I think there is going to be a special forum put up just around this development. So that is where you can get more news as it progresses. Or just Pm Tom.

I can see a whole new community coming out of this.

Cheers.

Members +
    I'm so excited.. Really looking forward this, & SOH is a good place to be..
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Members +
    I'm so excited.. Really looking forward this, & SOH is a good place to be..
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Tom,
    You star!...that's great news...better than I hoped for...you clever so and so, building dlls ha ha.

Did you see/use this guide, as it's one of the best..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTeLy1tzysc. And yes even without any sim-engine tweaking, it can be made to look pretty good.

Cheers

Shessi

All of us who still fly in FS9 need to chip in on an insurance policy for Tom's brain.

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    All of us who still fly in FS9 need to chip in on an insurance policy for Tom's brain.
    Every insurance co. I talked to said "Nope, we declared it a write-off years ago...". I found a travel ins. co. that said yes, until they discovered where his mind had gone and then said it was outside their coverage area.

Guess we'll just have to suffer the risk. You guys are safe, but he knows where I live.

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by srgalahad View Post
    Every insurance co. I talked to said "Nope, we declared it a write-off years ago...". I found a travel ins. co. that said yes, until they discovered where his mind had gone and then said it was outside their coverage area.

Guess we'll just have to suffer the risk. You guys are safe, but he knows where I live.
    \

LOL! Yep true that!
    Cr1-Software.Ltd
    www.cr1-software.com

More Fs9/Freedom video.

More to come. I cant wait till land class! Going to have grass as well!

https://youtu.be/4KwTRSNPc0c

PLEASE can we have all of this information in just one thread !

Dear all,

To avoid confusion and loss of overview, I have merge the 4 threads with more or least the same subject into one.

Please add you new messages and comments to this thread.

Thanks in advance,
    Huub

Thanks Huub...sanity reigns again...

Tom/Slim, sounds good, thanks for the info and keep the updates coming gents.

One big thing, no, two big things I'd like to suggest/request, a proper damage/destroyable game engine and 3D textured waves? Possible?

Cheers

Shessi
    Last edited by Shessi; September 28th, 2020 at 04:28.

Personally, I would not want to see this become a Combat Flight Simulator.

The only good thing that I have seen in FS2020 is that water looks like water for the first time ever. If we can have anything like that water in this update then I would be incredibly happy.

Members +
    Thanks for all the updates.
    If I may make a suggestion..
    It's great watching a video and trying to see the before & after effects, but is it possible to have a before & after picture?
    I'm not ungrateful at all, but sometines it's a bit more effective & easier to see with a picture.

Many thanks.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    One big thing, no, two big things I'd like to suggest/request, a proper damage/destroyable game engine and 3D textured waves? Possible? CheersShessi
    I 2nd that sounds like a good idea.....actually.Cheers mav

Quote Originally Posted by rohan View Post
    Personally, I would not want to see this become a Combat Flight Simulator...
    Why not? In the actual real world there are both civilian and military aviation and sometimes military aviation engages in combat. There are not two separate worlds, one with and one without combat aviation. It's all one world. So why not have a sim that reflects the real world? Something like "as real as it gets?"

Considering how easily so many CFS2 aircraft work in FS9, and how many FS9 planes have been converted to CFS2, and even some scenery can be used in both sims, it should be possible and maybe not too difficult to build such a realistic sim.

Interesting topic about damages there. to tell you the truth I don't know if that infrastructure is still in FS 2004 from CFS 2. But the original deal with 335 had a complete damage suite in it. It had the bullets that would show up the wings would break it would blow up and if you landed it too hard the wings would tweak and the gear would break props would strike and bend so if FS 2004 still reads that then it's not a big stretch for me to put that into new planes but it would all ready have to be activated inside the SIM for it to work if it's not then it would mean me writing in a damage emulation dll that would tweak your planes but your planes would also have to be built to be able to translate the damages so very few planes that are freeware or payware out there for FS 2004 FSX and p3d have that built into them. I know that my new planes coming out for p3d and f MS fs all are getting that and have that currently with the New deal 335. When I get a little deeper into the game I will take a look at that for you guys but right now I'm concentrating on the terrible water class and the incredibly terrible Land class that Microsoft put into this game and that alone is going to keep me busy for months yet to go cuz I have to retexture every single one of the textures to get it looking super high def period thanks for your interest in this it's cool it would be nice to see FS 2004 nice and busy again.
    Cr1-Software.Ltd
    www.cr1-software.com

FS2004 still has the 'breaking parts' logic that CFS2 has. It's quite hard to trigger but if you turn on the damage in menu, it is possible to have a wing break off or something if you clip a building just right. The main issue is the 'crash' message pops up real quick and reloads your flight, unlike CFS2 that allows you to watch the parts of your plane plummet to the ground and possibly bail out. The default planes have the damage entry in the cfg file, just enable it.

The flipside might be the possibility of transplanting the FS9 world into the combat engine of CFS2, it may prove easier than implementing all the combat parts into FS9? An essential part would be mission builder, without that you'd be limited to shooting down AI plane on a A to B flightplan, boring.

Another sim I have on my PC, which I won't promote here. But it shows what definitely could be improved in FS9. I think the water is one of the poorest things in FS9. Standard water is plain horrible and I have tried and mixed everything I could find, but still my FS9 water doesn't look anything close to the water in this IL2 screenshot!

Cheers,
    Huub

Members who have read this thread: 1