FS9 rebuild (merged thread) - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FS9 rebuild (merged thread)

Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    Well, I have a newish laptop that came with Windows 10.
    My thoughts are that an 11 year old unsupported operating system is obviously not optimized to be used with the latest hardware & GPU's.

My FS2004 installs all run smoother than they did with old operating systems.
    No OS should need ‘supporting’. I never needed support in years. With updates turned off.
    And new installs are always ‘smoother’. The OS makes no difference. Snake oil.

Turn off updates and UAC, and you could do anything you like with FS9 in Windows 7. Stick it in the X86 folder and it worked great (I found it ran better there then anywhere else).

W10 is now such a battle for every single program to get it to work well. The contact freezes and pauses when opening folders in general is awful. I’d go back to 7 in a heartbeat.

Members +
    No OS should need ‘supporting’. I never needed support in years. With updates turned off.
    You mean to tell me that you Windows 7 has had no updates/support in the years that you have had it??
    No updates? You are probably not connected to the internet, as there has been many security updates.

And new installs are always ‘smoother’. The OS makes no difference. Snake oil.
    After a year, each of my FS9 installs are running just as smooth as when they were installed.Obviously the OS does make a difference.Turn off updates and UAC, and you could do anything you like with FS9 in Windows 7. Stick it in the X86 folder and it worked great (I found it ran better there then anywhere else)
    UAC has always been turned off, ever since I had Windows 7, it's no use to anyone really, & FS9 works exactly the same in any folder, obviously not in the X86 protected folder, no matter in which folder it's in.

W10 is now such a battle for every single program to get it to work well. The contact freezes and pauses when opening folders in general is awful. I’d go back to 7 in a heartbeat.
    Every single program? I'm sure that I'm not the only one here that will call you out on this statement, as well as the freezing & pausing issue. You probably have less than 4GB RAM. Why not go back then?

Anyhow, I'll leave this here then,

Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Jon,
    I complete understand how you feel, but the huge caveat is that it is for YOUR use, 7 did what you needed, and 10 doesn't seem to give you any more. Possibly you don't 'push' or work with your pc, for those who do, a pure 64 bit OS has such huge ongoing potential.

Win10 is a completely re-written/new Win7 if you like, so although I agree newer is not always better, in this case win10 IS the best OS that M$ has produced. Not because it is the newest, but because of all the other benefits for a modern app filled/interractive/cross platform world, which happens to be most people.

For you Win10 mehhh, and as for saying that you'd take Vista over 10...hmmmmm really?!, for the rest of us, it's a damn good system...and the last M$ one you'll have to buy!

Cheers

Shessi

Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    Jon,
    I complete understand how you feel, but the huge caveat is that it is for YOUR use, 7 did what you needed, and 10 doesn't seem to give you any more. Possibly you don't 'push' or work with your pc, for those who do, a pure 64 bit OS has such huge ongoing potential.

Win10 is a completely re-written/new Win7 if you like, so although I agree newer is not always better, in this case win10 IS the best OS that M$ has produced. Not because it is the newest, but because of all the other benefits for a modern app filled/interractive/cross platform world, which happens to be most people.

For you Win10 mehhh, and as for saying that you'd take Vista over 10...hmmmmm really?!, for the rest of us, it's a damn good system...and the last M$ one you'll have to buy!

Cheers

Shessi
    Give this man a beer! hell, give him a complete case!

I work in IT support, and if there is something that I "have difficulties with" (putting it mildly), it is people who won't embrace new versions of OS's and even more people who disable updates.

Updates and new versions are about security. But hey, if you want to be part of the latest GRU botnet, be my guest. Give my regards to Fancy Bear.

Sorry for the rant.

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

How this became so off topic to comparing pears to der Blödmann ..... i'll never know! LolM

Not really off topic as the 'new' rebuild for FS9 developer was having issues in Windows 10. No surprises there!

And there is no need to EVER update for 'security'. I never did it from the moment W7 came out. Not needed then. Or now. Nobody is getting 'hacked' or information stolen. The stuff of fantasy.
    Shessi? How did businesses manage before 10 came out? Most I know still use XP. Which some say is the best OS of all. MS is like a funnel sucking people in if you let them.

FS9 and any older programs like that installed on XP/Vista/W7 was easy and without hassle. 10 is like the titanic. Looks good but useless when you look at its weak hull.

Jon_Aus, it seems you are the only one who thinks this thread is still on topic. You made your point and it is obvious you are not a fan of Windows10.

I wish you a lot of strength, when you need to replace hardware which is not supported by your obsolete operating system. I fully agree......Why develop a Tesla when a horse can still bring you everywhere?

And for now end of discussion, and thread closed.

Cheers,
    Huub

Members who have read this thread: 1