FS9 rebuild (merged thread) - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FS9 rebuild (merged thread)

Members +
    LOL, Let Tom fix it, before breaking it..
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

this is a video from youtube by the flying hobo. interesting to note that this is CFS3, released BEFORE FS2004. if this was done with CFS3, FS9 should have at least some basic basic resemblance maybe
    https://youtu.be/uDaASl0uXOc

Quote Originally Posted by HornetAircraft View Post
    this is a video from youtube by the flying hobo. interesting to note that this is CFS3, released BEFORE FS2004. if this was done with CFS3, FS9 should have at least some basic basic resemblance maybe
    https://youtu.be/uDaASl0uXOc

Yep, that water looks definitely more like water than the FS9 stuff as well.

Cheers,
    Huub

Remember, CFS3 was almost an experiment and actually has more in common with FSX than it does with FS9. FS9 is closer to CFS2.

Members +
    Any more news about the rebuild?
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    Any more news about the rebuild?
    Steadily working away on it. I have a year into it already and prolly another year or more. This will not be fs9 when its done. Not the Fs9 you know anyways.

Working out the Mesh and land class issues prevalent in the game thus far, looking at building new bgl's for the stratus layer of clouds in the upper altitudes and non static fog layers to fix.
    It will come with a few new planes in it as well.

I want this sim to stand out from the others, and it will. Its amazing what is coming out of the wood work too. I have designers from all over the world donating their work to the project. Most of this is private collection stuff that has never been off of the original owners computer. I have to say Orbix is dam lucky these guys just stayed to them selves. The Japan mesh and land class that was just sent in is a mind bowing experience. Sent in from a Flight sim brother over in Japan. Also same sort of thing from the Finland mesh and texture sets...unreal, and this stuff is from individuals that just built it for them selves or small little clubs. Best scenery I have ever seen. I have been given around 5 of those. Its interesting once you start something just how big the community is, its not just the few forums that we know if...its massive. Face book as a community I'm apart of, 2500 members, just for fs9...its crazy. and there are 100's of them. I cant answer all of the emails coming in for this project, more response to this then anything I have ever done for flight sim. Tanya our customer service girl we just brought on is working real hard answering all the emails. I will give her a good raise at the end of the year as she sure is doing a good job!

Right now I am working out the shading for inner cockpits, trees and buildings to be more natural. Like P3D. Water class is way better, land class is coming along. Added in a lot of new effects. Farm animals and wild life planed near the end of production as well.

Also I bought the rights to a 3d cad building program and it will be in the sim with the sdk and a new compiler That will allow up to 5 million poly planes, with a much larger materials option and animation options that you only see on very expensive cad programs. This is already done, I bought it as a already built utility and had it set up just for fs. A lot of work to go but I want the sim to last for at least the next 15 years. When Im done the sim I'm saying good bye. I will never design anything for flight sim ever again. I will be retired. I want to enjoy my life away from my computers and my office with my kids and grand kids. But I will leave you one hell of a mod before I go!

No other sim is so ferociously guarded like FS9. This new modd is called "Freedom".

When Im done it will stand out as a true work of beauty and art.
    Cr1-Software.Ltd
    www.cr1-software.com

Your source for fine Flight Simulation enhancements!

Members +

Thanks, I'm sure that there are MANY awaiting this!!
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Sound good good Tom. I hope you can overcome the limitation of the textures. Where FS2004 has to put everything more or less in a single texture with one alpha channel, FSX has a texture, a bump map and a spec map available with all their own alpha channel. Which simply offers more possibilities.

For me water is the most disturbing thing in FS2004. With the available tile size it will be difficult to really improve this.

Cheers,
    Huub

It would be nice to see some screens of whats being done here.

Members +
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon_aus View Post
    It would be nice to see some screens of whats being done here.
    Patience you must have, my young padawan. When nine hundred years old you reach, look as good you will not.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Tom, you sound like a Man on a mission!
    I can only say two things:
    Thanks!
    Bravo!!
    Born to Fly

Hi all.

So ran into a few stone walls. but with some good climbing gear I'm scaling those walls. It seems that the fs9 game engine is older then even the cfs3 game engine and is not too receptive to some of the new changes I am making, on one hand it will run with those changes in widows 7 and vista 32 or 64. But as soon as I go to windows 10, it just crashes.

So I have to do some trial and error trouble shooting to sort this out. I have to do this as I know many of you if not all will be eventually on windows 10, so it has to work.

This is a very big job, but eventually I will get it. In the coming weeks I will post some before and after video on the progress of this sim on the cr1 YouTube channel. It will go over everything from clouds to water to land to aircraft. Its takes time as I'm just me and no one to help me so I do my best. I also have to make sure the new do335 and other planes I'm building get done as well.

Thanks!
    Cr1-Software.Ltd
    www.cr1-software.com

Your source for fine Flight Simulation enhancements!

Members +
    Thanks, Tom, for all your work, & for trying to squeeze things into Windows 10. No rush at all, it's a labour of love & we FS9'ers are patient people.
    BUT.. tease us!!!. also before & after pictures sf possible? Videos are great, but a picture tells a tale.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Yeah W10 sucks. I'd take VISTA before 10. Not kidding.

Members +
    Nah!! you ARE kidding!
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Icon23

Jon....please, please keep taking the tablets....I fear for your sanity otherwise...

Cheers

Shessi

I never ever had issues with Vista nor flight sim running on it. Windows 10 on the other hand...

Anyway, patience while we await what this will look like.

Man i cant wait for this new fs9

Wow, you guys make me so happy that I stuck with Win7pro!

Members +
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Wow, you guys make me so happy that I stuck with Win7pro!
    Indeed, Windows 7 is used by 25.8% of all Windows users, with Windows 10 recording 69.4%
    Not bad for an obsolete operating system, with no support.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    Indeed, Windows 7 is used by 25.8% of all Windows users, with Windows 10 recording 69.4%
    Not bad for an obsolete operating system, with no support.

Nothing obsolete about Windows 7 at all Robin. Windows 10 does nothing better then 7.

Members +
    Quote Originally Posted by anels9 View Post
    Man i cant wait for this new fs9
    It will not be a new FS9, it will be a set of add-ons to make it look better.
    You can always try Howard's The natural World for some great improvements.

https://biggles11.wixsite.com/the-natural-world
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Nothing obsolete about Windows 7 at all Robin. Windows 10 does nothing better then 7.
    Sorry Jon, agree with your comments about the Fs9 improvement debacle, but you are wrong about Win10. Win7 was/is a very good OS (I really like/worked a lot with it), and is what Vista should have been (on steroids!), but it does not have the wide interactivity and expansion that Win10 has, along with other things such as pure 64 bit usage and security.
    So although 7 is good it is limited and further M$ support for 7 has now ended as of Jan 2020, so 7 will only get further behind, as 10 goes on. Yes, for your purposes and many others it does just what you want it to, I use an XP machine for all my sim stuff, but use a Win10 machine for everything else, so to me XP is not obsolete, but would never say that that Win10 does nothing better than XP...ha ha!

Cheers

Shessi

Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    Sorry Jon, agree with your comments about the Fs9 improvement debacle, but you are wrong about Win10. Win7 was/is a very good OS (I really like/worked a lot with it), and is what Vista should have been (on steroids!), but it does not have the wide interactivity and expansion that Win10 has, along with other things such as pure 64 bit usage and security.
    So although 7 is good it is limited and further M$ support for 7 has now ended as of Jan 2020, so 7 will only get further behind, as 10 goes on. Yes, for your purposes and many others it does just what you want it to, I use an XP machine for all my sim stuff, but use a Win10 machine for everything else, so to me XP is not obsolete, but would never say that that Win10 does nothing better than XP...ha ha!

Cheers

Shessi

I never had updates turned on in the years I used 7. 'Security' is a subjective term used. But I use my current W10 not just for simming. I find zero benefit to ever going to 10. And for the average person who uses it for home use, it was / is a pointless upgrade. More a MS control thing rather then a genuine upgrade in an OS.

Members +
    Well, I have a newish laptop that came with Windows 10.
    My thoughts are that an 11 year old unsupported operating system is obviously not optimized to be used with the latest hardware & GPU's.

My FS2004 installs all run smoother than they did with old operating systems.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Members who have read this thread: 2