Installation order

Thread: Installation order

Installation order

Hello, Many years ago I used to fly CFS3 and I am making a return and have a few questions

Im installing CFS3 on a Win10 machine and have noted Hairyspin's guide on how to do that and what settings to change but next I would like to add Diawilletti's Upgrade package Version 2 and Ankor's Shaders package.

Do these packages work together and in which order should I install them, ie which package should be installed first and will it be just a case of letting the last installed overwrite any files as required?

Eventually I will be installing MAW and BOB etc but would like to just get one up and running first.

Thank you

Mick

I would say that you would always want to do AnKor's Shaders last to make sure everything else is running well first. In most cases it installs pretty easily, but some have had trouble. It's always easier to diagnose issues when you're starting from a known good install.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

SOH-CM-2020
    Hi Mick,

the good news is that Ankors shaders are preinstalled in the upgrade package. However they are the Jan 2018 version (still look pretty nice) but when you have the time it would be worth upgrading to a later version.

You will find things in the upgrade package that are not found in other installs, like coastal shipping, AI take-offs, many corrected stock xdps, the combined effects.xml, etc etc.

Thanks for the advice Major and Daiwilletti, if i have any troubles I will report back here

Mick

Hello again, I'e finally got some time to do the install.

After installing from the original 2 CD's I now want to run the 3.1 and the 3.1a patches, but when i run the 3.1 patch i don't get any option to set the path to match my install - D:\Games\CFS3.
    I copied the 3.1 patch to the desktop and ran it, but it just runs through and ends with a message saying its patched the install to 3.1, but how does it know where I installed the game?

Do the patches 3.1 and 3.1a have to be run from inside my install folder (as shown above)?

Can you confirm the patches have been installed without starting the game?

Thanks

Mick

Just to answer my own question and for anybody else who searches the forum to find the answer on installing the patches, I ran each update from inside the game folder

If the patches are applied correctly then a folder called BACKUP is created in the game folder you are using.

In my BACKUP folder there are 39 items after applying both patches.

This may help somebody in the future

Mick
    Last edited by 65olschool; October 6th, 2020 at 06:17.

I always though the patches found where your install was. Now, depending on your OS, you might want to look at the appropriate sticky . Also, given your HD capacity, I would copy the install + patches to C:\ if you are going to work with other installs, including Daiwilletti's CFS3 basic ++.

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Well I got a stock install working with Ankors Shaders

Now starting to create the other installs using multicfs3,
    I know back in Win XP I could just create another install folder and then copy the contents from the stock install folder over and drop in multicfs3 to set up the separate appdata folders, is it still the same in Win10?
    I'm guessing multicfs3 will need to be run in admin mode correct?

Thanks for the help

Mick

Yes, that should be all you need to do for additional installs.

I currently have 18 spread over 5 different drives on Win 10.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Members who have read this thread: 0