WW1_Western_Front scenery package! - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: WW1_Western_Front scenery package!

Quote Originally Posted by voyager View Post
    Just wondering what I missed doing to have the cannons on the ground unless they are actually on camouflaged towers. About N51*20.57', E3*14.65'
    voyager
    Hi Voyager,
    Those look like the guns B24Guy reworked to sit on the mole at Zeebrugge. I think they are called 'z_mole_gun'. The gun you are looking for is in one of the packs from Pen32Win.

Try here...http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=280&id=5901

Thanks Ravenna, just downloaded it and will give it a try when I get a chance.

voyager

Library Staff
    Hi Voyager,

Can you post a picture of that area from the air? It looks like the Zeebrugge mole has gone walkabout.

Kevin

Hi kdriver,

Fortunately the mole is where it is supposed to be with its guns in place. At N51*20.55' and E3*14.05' (middle gun) the emplacements are there but the guns are several feet above them. I have no idea if there other places where this particular gun is used would have the same problem. Hope not.

voyager

Red X is problem area.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2.jpg  

Hope I did it right this time and pic stays attached

Library Staff
    Yes, I have those same mole guns located there. I found three more in front of the hotel near the mole.

I think those entries should read AF_IJN_150mm_Gun which is the gun AF_ZMole_Gun is based on.

Thanks for finding them - another item which will need fixing.

KD

There's always something or other putting a project this big together. Great work!

voyager

Hi All,
    Of course I could not leave well enough alone. After replacing the guns in front of the Hotel I saw that they were sunk in the platforms.
    I made a new BGL called AF_Hotel_Gun. I also added 5 more guns to fill the empty gun pits under the camo nets near the other location.
    Here are the files if you want to try them out.

Regards,
    B24Guy
    Attached Files Attached Files

Library Staff
    Hi Scott,

I just finished replacing the guns with MB when I saw this post. Thanks for doing this.

I also replaced the third railway parts warehouse on the mole with your raised version. As usual, the railway tracks no longer lined up with those in the adjoining GOB areas.

How did you add the extra guns without other objects being moved? The tracks still line up with your new GSL.

As your latest gun is designed to sit on bldeck, I wonder if naming it "hotel" might be a bit vague for anyone using it in the future.

Either way, it looks like another amendment to the expanded library objects pack is needed.

Cheers,

Kevin

Hi Kevin,
    I started with a empty gsl added the western front gsl to it with gslman. Then started mission builder and used the built in gsl editor to replace and add the guns.
    Saved the edited gsl using the built in editor. Then I renamed the newly created cfs2 gsl to western front gsl. Copied a stock gsl file into the folder and used glsman to add the new western front gsl to it.

As for the name I really did not think about it much. Just wanted something I could remember easily.

Regards,
    Scott

Brilliant work Scott. Couldn't the last step also be accomplished by naming the 'western front.gsl' as 'cfs2.gsl' and placing that in the GSL folder?

The new guns add an extra level of flexibility to gun placement. When I placed some of the smaller open gun revetments around Zeebrugge and Bruges I left them empty as the guns available at the time sank into the concrete floor.

Hi Ravenna,
    You are correct. I did not know if my workaround would work.
    Using a stock gsl was for proof of concept. I did notice that the guns do sink into the floor of the revetments some.
    Not enough to worry about though.

There are two houses near the lock that have a hedge by Stiz that are lacking a texture named hedgetop.bmp. It is not in the package.
    The package is called MB_Objects_and_API_Marcos.zip.
    Do you happen to have that texture?

Regards,
    Scott

Hi Scott,

The hedge is a problem. I used Stiz's original and repainted it. I thought it was part of the original package. I'll post it here when I get home. For some reason, regardless of the paint colour, it shows up as bright green in the sim.
    regards,
    Mike

Hi Ravenna,
    I have some ideas and am going to try to make a texture for it. I had to decompile the BGL to find the name of the texture. It only uses the one.
    I have tried to use some of the textures in the API folder. Managed to change the color but it still does not look right.

Regards,
    Scott

Guns are in the emplacements instead of in the air above them now! Should the af_hotel_gun.bgl be in the inf folder instead of the veh folder? Had to put it there for it to show. When the scenery started to load it said that
    af_hotel_gun.bgl could not be found. I don't know. Just happy that things are where they're supposed to be. Thanks guys!

voyager
    Last edited by voyager; November 17th, 2020 at 18:42.

Hi Voyager,
    I put it in the veh folder because that is where Pen32Win put the AF_IJN_150_mm gun.
    I don't think it really matters. Should work from either folder. When I placed it in the Mission Builder it selects as inf not veh.
    The object type is set in the DP file. It is set as a ground unit or object, category is Artillery Static.
    The good thing is you got it working.

Regards,
    B24Guy

B24Guy

Thanks for the explanation. Stuff I didn't know.

voyager

Library Staff
    Hi Chaps,

Scott, I started off with an empty cfs2.gsl in MB and loaded the layout, then continued as you do. This must be the problem - I'll try your method which I have used in the past as well. The strange thing is not all the objects get moved, just objects in certain areas. It's generally not a problem unless you're trying to join rail tracks.

Regarding the hedge, the link to the Stiz download is in the installation guide and Mike's alternative texture for it was included in the package.

So that we're up to date, I've attached the latest version of the guide, the hedge textures and the missing Furnes texture (which goes in the airfields texture folder).

Cheers,
    Kevin
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Kevin,
    Thanks for the update. The problem is that the texture hedgeside2 is not used by the hedge model.
    The hedge model only uses hedgetop.bmp. I thought that maybe the API macro would give me more info but it just uses hedgetop.bmp also.
    I created a texture that is much better, but the hedge model itself in not very realistic. It seems to me that you would need a separate top, side, and end texture to make it look correct. It looks like Stiz was trying to do that, but did not finish it. I could most likely modify the model to use separate textures, but a master painter (I am not) would be needed.

Regards,
    Scott

P.S. I just looked at the hedge model and it is created as one piece. It would be very difficult to break it into three pieces.

Library Staff
    I renamed Mike's hedgeside2.bmp hedgetop.bmp and it works. I'll change the names in the package.

I think mw_tree_hedge might have been a much better option. The Stiz models are OK but I think there are better versions of each of them in our inventory.

Hi Kevin,
    Thanks for the tip about mw_tree_hedge. I was wondering if there was something to use instead.
    I am going to try it out. I will let you know how it works.

Regards,
    Scott

Hi Kevin,
    That did not work. mw_tree_hedge is contained in a BGL named mw_treer.bgl found in the CFS2 BoB package.
    There seems to be a problem with that BGL.
    Neither of MW objects are used in the Western Front GSL.
    Both of the MW BGL's could be deleted.
    The hedge is an interesting problem.
    I think I will try to come up with something. I just can't help it.

Regards,
    Scott

Hi Guys,

Apologies for opening such a can of worms. I looked for a hedge for weeks before using Stiz's hedge. If I was starting now there are a few objects I would replace, but I'll keep that list to myself. If someone ever makes a low poly hedgerow it would come in handy in a European install.

Members who have read this thread: 0