WW1_Western_Front scenery package! - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: WW1_Western_Front scenery package!

Hi kdriver,
    Allen does not need to do anything, the modified BGL file is included in the zip I posted.

Hope this helps,
    B24Guy

P.S. The best way would be to change LW's library file to give it a different texture name, but restrictions on the upload permissions create a problem.

Library Staff
    Hi B24Guy,

Either way this change needs to go in the scenery library. There are five versions of this bitmap I know of. I've attached them with the new names.

Kevin
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi kdriver,
    Yes I see now. The best way would for me to change the texture name in the bgl.

Regards,
    B24Guy

Library Staff
    Hi B24,

Allen has suggested making a new BGL with a new GUID number using the ETO specific bitmap.

I can do that. Like his European versions of the stock hangars, I can name the object inf_large_buildinga_eu and keep your renaming of the texture.

The new object can go in the recently uploaded expansion pack. Allen's, Lindsay's and Pat Sullivan's scenery objects packs remain unaffected.

Kevin

If need be I should be able to use BGL Analyze and disassemble it and do the changes than drop it on scasm.exe.

Edit. Did the edit.
    Attachment 79493
    Last edited by Allen; October 13th, 2020 at 20:04.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Library Staff
    Thanks a lot Allen!

The bitmap we want is the ETO one without the wharf piles at the top of the picture.

Hi Kdriver and Allen,

The problem is the BGL of the stock building needs to keep the same file name. If it is changed the GLS will have to change.
    If we want to make a new building we have to keep the BGL name length the same as the stock one.
    This way the GSL can be hex edited and the old "stock" building name can be searched for and renamed.
    Either way with a new building the GSL will have to change.

That's why I just gave the stock building a new texture. I did not realize that other scenery add-ons used the same texture name.
    I have all ready changed the texture name in the BGL so hopefully it won't conflict.

I could make a new building and change the GLS file. Let me know witch way you want to go.

Regards,
    B24Guy

Hi All,
    Watch out for this easy mistake. The install instructions for Allen's CFS1 Runways for CFS2 say You do not need to install the scenery itself, just the library objects (Objects_dp) and the “inf” folder within the SCENEDB folder.
    The problem is that Allen's package is meant to be added as a scenery library and all the BGL's are packed in the same scenery folder.
    In order to install correctly one must just copy the infrastructure BGL's from Allen's scenery folder to the sims scenery folder.
    Not the airfield BGL's.
    You can use Allen's Objects DP folder to make sure you get the correct BGL's files.

I made this mistake and it drove me mad until I figured it out.

Hope this helps,
    B24Guy

You can just take what is needed from any of my files and pack them into the project.

Library Staff
    Hi Chaps,

Both ways of doing this have their advantages and disadvantages.

If we change the name of the texture called for, we will have to supply all theatres of war versions of that texture.

If we make an extra object calling for that modified ETO texture, all previously made scenery will still have the wharf problem, while only future scenery utilising the new object and its renamed texture will display the wharf correctly.

Another option would be to do both of the above, using the same texture naming.

As the first method affects Allen's object rebuild package, I'll let him have the last say.

Cheers,

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by The B24 Guy View Post
    Hi Kdriver and Allen,

The problem is the BGL of the stock building needs to keep the same file name. If it is changed the GLS will have to change.
    If we want to make a new building we have to keep the BGL name length the same as the stock one.
    This way the GSL can be hex edited and the old "stock" building name can be searched for and renamed.
    Either way with a new building the GSL will have to change.

That's why I just gave the stock building a new texture. I did not realize that other scenery add-ons used the same texture name.
    I have all ready changed the texture name in the BGL so hopefully it won't conflict.

I could make a new building and change the GLS file. Let me know witch way you want to go.

Regards,
    B24Guy

Do what you guys want.

Library Staff
    Thanks for that B24Guy,

Many of the hyperlinks are copied from Rami's scenery installation guides, that one included. I'll fix that entry. We don't want the CFS1 runways.

Cheers,

Kevin

Hi All,
    Watch out for this easy mistake. The install instructions for Allen's CFS1 Runways for CFS2 say You do not need to install the scenery itself, just the library objects (Objects_dp) and the “inf” folder within the SCENEDB folder.
    The problem is that Allen's package is meant to be added as a scenery library and all the BGL's are packed in the same scenery folder.
    In order to install correctly one must just copy the infrastructure BGL's from Allen's scenery folder to the sims scenery folder.
    Not the airfield BGL's.
    You can use Allen's Objects DP folder to make sure you get the correct BGL's files.

I made this mistake and it drove me mad until I figured it out.

Hope this helps,
    B24Guy

Hi Guys,
    I Think the best way to do it is to say "The Heck with LW" and give his package a new texture and rename the call in the BGL.
    I just don't know if the powers that be would condone that.
    Anyway that is my two cents.
    Regards,
    B24Guy

P.S. Maybe MR could get permission to update LW's package?

What LW/LWD objects are being used? Just make replacements. He doesn't own the LW/LWD prefix so they can have the same name so no need to edit the GSL you already have.

Library Staff
    LW_Wharf_section_D1, LW_Wharf_endcap_D1, LW_Barracks_D2 and LW_Barracks_D4 use inf_large_building_1.bmp.

Hex editing the BGL and making a new texture by renaming the stock inf_large_building_1.bmp to inf_large_building_4.bmp is the simplest and most logical solution to the problem.

Is Lindsay still with us?
    Last edited by kdriver; October 16th, 2020 at 08:30.

Quote Originally Posted by kdriver View Post
    LW_Wharf_section_D1, LW_Wharf_endcap_D1, LW_Barracks_D2 and LW_Barracks_D4 use inf_large_building_1.bmp.

Hex editing the BGL and making a new texture by renaming the stock inf_large_building_1.bmp to inf_large_building_4.bmp is the simplest and most logical solution to the problem.

Is Lindsay still with us?
    Kdriver,
    I agree. I thought about Allen's suggestion but because the Wharf sections are in a Scenery Library file you can't remove and replace just those objects.
    I did make a new wharf object using the same object name and different GUID but no matter what I did the sim always called for the one in the Scenery Library file .
    I hope we will be allowed to modify LW's package.

Regards,
    B24Guy

Full replacement models for LW_Wharf_section_D1, LW_Wharf_endcap_D1, LW_Barracks_D2 and LW_Barracks_D4.

Attachment 79521

I named them AD_Wharf_section_D1, AD_Wharf_endcap_D1, AD_Barracks_D2 and AD_Barracks_D4. This will make things simple as find and replace with any text editor.

Excuse my ignorance here, but are we now at the point where the scenery layer in a WWI install will need several edits, or are we looking at a once-off edit and rerelease of the GSL file from this pack? I'm just thinking that if we want the latter we'll need Allen's new files and B24Guy's new objects.

Could I also suggest that all our sea walls and the mole could do with a set of steps which could be placed alongside.

Hi All,
    I applaud Allen's efforts. However using his new wharf objects would require a major rework of the GSL file.
    Also LW_wharf_ramp is needed. I would suggest putting out a WWI update pack that includes files only for the Western Front package. This would include the new inf_large_building.bgl, inf_large_building_ZM.bmp, the "stock" inf_large_building_1.bmp,
    new mole objects, and the revised GSL file that I sent Ravenna.

On another note. I have been flying from as many airbases a I can. Many have plain texture blocks like this. First Picture

I tracked the issue down to a BGL in KD_ Europe_Terrain package. the BGL in question is WWIAirfields_7.bgl. I removed it and things now look much better. Second picture.

Regards,
    B24Guy

Library Staff
    Hi Chaps,

I am definitely not going to change the WW1 GSL file. It was a monumental headache combining Mike's and my separate GSL work combined with trying to line up railway lines on adjoining GOB areas. Mission Builder has a nasty habit of moving objects by small distances every time a change is made, especially when there are a large number of objects. Please no more changes to the mole or any other infrastructure.

Allen, thanks for the renamed objects but I'll keep them for future projects. I prefer to keep all the object names the same for this package. I would rather hex edit the object BGL and supply a new texture.

B24Guy, sorry that file should not be in there - it's one of Gary Aumaugher's files. It was originally called WWIRoads_7.bgl but it is in fact the background bitmap for his airfields. I don't know how it got there.

If you do install Gary's airfields, I think the attached bitmaps blend in better.

Cheers,

Kevin

kdriver

You should be able to edit the GSL with a text editor. Open with WordPad. Hit CTRL+H In the top line put lw_wharf_section_d1 and in the lower put ad_wharf_section_d1 than hit Replace All. Repeat for the other 3 I made replacements for.

Allen,
    Interesting, I have never tried opening a GSL file with a text editor.
    Thanks for the tip.

Kdriver,
    Thanks for the files, off to give them a try.

Regards,
    B24Guy

I would think that changing the GSL by text edit should work just fine. I made sure the objects I made has the same character length as the objects that need to be replaced to avoid shenanigans that may come from change out objects but I didn't test this with CFS2.

Hi Allen,
    We'll the text editor idea did not work. GslMan would not add the file.

Regards,
    B24Guy

Wordpad must be changing characters that it doesn't understand and this is causing GslMan to have problems. Time to use something a bit more better.

Fired up Notepad++ and did the same Find and Replace and GslMan.exe added the gobs just fine.

Editing with Frhed (hex editor) also works.

Members who have read this thread: 0