P3D MilViz S-64E/F Mods
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P3D MilViz S-64E/F Mods

P3D MilViz S-64E/F Mods

Several weeks ago I proposed a series of modifications to MilViz to add some variations to the old S-64s. I was given permission to modify them in limited fashion to add some new versions. Versions, I felt should have been included in the original package. I am modifying the firefighting version (per my SOP). The primary operation of the S-64s is not with the water cannon on them. Here in the US where they are primarily used, the water cannon is not equipped on the Erickson versions. However, several other variations of the S-64 exist in the US (also without the water cannon). I will be doing those models. As well as the the Italian F models with the Radome in the noses. The ram snorkel will remain functional on the Erickson model(s). However, another overlooked feature was the inoperable pond snorkel. Which again most use exclusively, but was for whatever reason inoped on these when they came out. Those will also be addressed. Another thing I'll be doing is updating the sounds hopefully. As well as I'm trying to update the cockpits to how the modern Crane's cockpits are, as these are very dated at this point. Still it was a good base of a helo back in 2010 or so when it came out. But I'll be breathing some new life into them here soon. The mod will be laid out exactly how the Cera Sim mod is on here for the Firehawk. It's what gave me the idea on how to do this. As part of my agreement with MilViz, all content (photos, videos, etc) that came out after our signed agreement will have the MilViz logo on them in regards to this project.

Models:

Erickson Aircrane S-64E (US/Australian configuration) With Forward "box"
    Erickson Aircrane S-64E (US Config) No Ram Snorkel, No forward Box
    Erickson Aircrane S-64F (Italian Config) Nose Radome with Forward Box
    S-64/CH-54E Skycrane Helicopter Transport Services Equipped Tank

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sdg&e.jpg  

Aerial Firefighting Aircraft Development & Simulation Group
    Simulated Air Tanker Operations Facebook! <<click
    SATO Youtube Channel! <<click

Will the mods work in FSX?
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    Will the mods work in FSX?
    Maybe. I'm not 100% sure yet. My main focus is on P3D functionality with them currently. This I think largely may depend on how many features I end up adding to them. Once the models are more complete, I plan on testing to see if it can be compiled to work in FSX as well.

HTS Model

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails crane.jpg   crane.jpg  

I have made the pond snorkels functional now on the models. A V2.0 of the snorkel is now installed and likely will be the release version(s). All the new models all have the water cannon's removed. All versions now have a working pond snorkel AND Ram snorkel on the appropriate versions.

Preview of the models after the pond snorkel was reinstalled with the new mods to make it truly functional.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S-64s.jpg  

It is not clear to me whether the original MilViz model will be required as well as your upgrade kit - or will your kit be a standalone product ? ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by rohan View Post
    It is not clear to me whether the original MilViz model will be required as well as your upgrade kit - or will your kit be a standalone product ? ? ?
    The MilViz Skycrane is required. This is a mod designed to compliment the original package. I am including the more common firefighting models of the S-64E/F. I have a written agreement with MilViz that these additional models and additional files in this particular configuration are to be offered free of charge. Which they will be. I will only be releasing them on 2 sites. To make sure no issues arise.

The mod is similar to how the Cera Sim Firehawk mod available here on SOH for their UH-60L is setup. (It's what gave me the idea) The mod pack will come with these new exterior/interior models, 3 or 4 new liveries, aircraft.cfg entries to add to the original MilViz Firefighting S-64 to allow the models to appear in the sim correctly. Instructions will also be included. And that's it. Other than that, all of MilViz's other files in the Skycranes will be needed to make them work. Panel, base textures, AIR file, sounds, etc. This is what ensures the purchase of their product prior to installing this mod. I am also working on sounds for it as well. But I haven't come to a definite answer whether or not they will be done to my liking before the mod pack is finished. If it is, the new sounds will also come with the mod pack.

Better image from MCX to show what the models look like currently. I have been in contact with Boris Cotic, whom is specifically doing the Italian liveries for these. Forestale, no longer is the operating agency in Italy of the S-64F, they have since been transferred to Vigili del Fuoco. Italy has several F models, but only I believe 2 of the 5 still have the old green Forestale livery based on our discussions. We have also discussed including his repaints in this package for the appropriate models. Preview of that livery is also below, seen on the stock MilViz S-64. I will be including new liveries as well. Current livery for San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E) upper left, Siller Bros bottom left, and Helicopter Transport Services bottom right. Last image is of the new working pond snorkel extended.I will be running a short beta test once the models are closer to being 100% finished to see if they will also be FSX compatible. As of currently, that's up in the air.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S-64s4.jpg   120559119_2747217465491459_7784016944073991052_n.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Scorch00 View Post
    The MilViz Skycrane is required.
    Appreciate the clarification - thanks

I've switched to working on the Skycranes primarily the last few days. Will likely stay that way until I'm happy with them. Sounds are coming along. Still need to work on the external mesh as well as the interior sounds. In the video you will also see the pond snorkel stow and unstow I've added. Along with some of the other external changes on this particular model. I have also discussed with others in the community with adding another model. A 5th firefighting version will be added. I'm currently working on a prototype tank for it as well. It will represent the crane currently flying for Helicopter Transport Services with an old Aero Union RADS-II tank that originally was delivered to Evergreen. Evergreen had 2 Cranes with this model tank on them, one was crane was damaged at some point in it's career and it's AU tank removed. N795HT (95HT) now is the only Skycrane flying with that model tank on it. The RADS-II is similar to the one on other platforms like their DC-4s, but was modified with a snorkel. It carries 2,000 gallons. While the Erickson and Simplex model tanks cary 2,600+ gallons. The prototype is seen below. Which still needs a lot of work.

Something that was brought to my attention while doing some more work on the cranes late last night. The CH-54A and S-64E both shared pretty much identical airframes. Obviously one was military production and the other civilian. However, what was overlooked in the original version of the S-64E is that most S-64Es that have not been rebuilt or upgraded by Erickson (which is a considerable number) do not have a split main gear assembly. The split gear assembly is exclusive to Erickson "F" model Cranes and "E" models that have been rebuilt/upgraded by Erickson. Even S-64Es that are operated by Erickson still retain the larger single gear assembly. Anyway. This difference is largely what differentiates a CH-54A (and most S-64Es) from the S-64F externally (aside from the radome Italian versions). 95HT (in the photo) is a CH-54A, so the larger gear assembly has been swapped onto this model to be accurate. You can see the different gear assembly based on the picture above versus this one. This will also be done on the S-64E models. Only the F models will retain the split gear assembly as they would in real life. If people want to replicate an upgraded "E" model then the "F" model will be the one to use. Sound recordings are pretty much where I want them, now getting them all to mesh is what I'll work on for sounds. Several additional repaints will accompany these models. How many, though I'm unsure of. I can say that US, Italian, and Australian liveries are in the cards.

Here's a little progress flight demo video. New gear assemblies have been moved over to proper models. Also am working on polishing up the new sounds. One thing I'd like to add to the Skycrane is a working APU, the model itself has working switches in the cockpit, but I cannot find how or where to attach those APU sounds to. Among other environmental additions I'd like to make to these. Other than those, they are nearly completed at this point. I've also received some additional repaints to include with the package from a group supporter for numerous Italian and Australian liveries by Boris Cotic. I will be compiling those new repaints into the pack some time soon once I can match up which versions goes with which model in the pack. To clarify now what's transpired after the most recent batch of model changes. The package will include the following versions. Erickson S-64F, S-64F(i), S-64E, and CH-54A models i.e. 5 in total (I could do more as there really are a lot of variations) but I am just sticking to the 5 mainly noticed versions. Both S-64F models that are included in this pack will differ only slightly, as the "I" model or Italian versions do have some versions with radomes in the noses. The S-64E unlike the version included in the original package, will have the correct gear assembly for the type. As will the CH-54A. The CH-54A will come equipped with the Aero Union RADS-2 style 2,000 gallon tank. The S-64Es will come with the Simplex model 314 2,600 Gallon tank. While the remaining one will just have the Erickson 2,650 gallon tank. I will do another breakdown of the mod once I have more compiled into it. Right now, it's kind of a bit of a mess honestly. I have files for it all over the place.

The project continues to evolve. Will be adding the 6th and final firefighting model to the lineup. I have also started integrating the new repaints for the models. Hopefully I can get this project cleaned up and ready to come out before the end of the year. That's my goal at least with a short beta period for FSX to see if the new models work in both FSX and P3D. This is largely the reason when I discussed this mod pack with MilViz I left PBR off the table as to not do a whole new package for FSX. This will hopefully make it easy to install in FSX up to V5 of P3D without issue using the legacy shading. The package largely is complete as I don't want it to get too large. It's already considerable as it now exceeds the number of aircraft that came originally with the MilViz Skycranes. Liveries in this package are as follows: (5) Forestale and Figili Del Fuoco (Italy), Erickson/Kestrel (Australia), SDG&E (USA), Siller Bros (USA), (2 total) Helicopter Transport Services (USA), Erickson Air-Crane (USA). As I think I've mentioned before, the original package was slightly incorrect with the livery used and the model represented. It was marketed as an S-64E, when in reality it was an S-64F, something that could easily be missed in my opinion. But it's been corrected in these versions I've done. I've left the water cannon off all these versions as it is not a widely used option on the Skycrane, either in the US or overseas.

Model Update:
    CH-54A (2,000 Gallon Aero Union RADS tank)
    S-64E (2,600 Gallon Simplex 314 tank)
    S-64E (2,650 Gallon Erickson tank)
    S-64E (2,650 Gallon Erickson tank, ram snorkel, forward tool box)
    S-64F(Italy) (2,650 Gallon Erickson Tank, ram snorkel, forward tool box, nose radome)
    S-64F (2,650 Gallon Erickson tank, ram snorkel, forward tool box)

2 of the Vigili Del Fuoco repaints by Boris Cotic that's going in this project. He did fantastic work. He's also planning on releasing more paints after the launch of the pack.

Below is the Italian radome F model completed

Difference between the S-64E and S-64F (not much aside from the mentioned gear assembly)

Work continues on the Cranes. I'm looking into actually getting the APU to function. As it turns out, a number of corners were cut with this bird unfortunately. The APU does function, but largely had no sounds associated with it's use. Which in a big bird like the Skycrane is one of many integral parts of what people remember about being around them. Not sure why that was left out, could have been a limitation for FSX (it is an old bird after all) or what exactly. Regardless, I'm looking into adding that function to integrate with the more realistic sounds (hopefully). I have attached the new liveries to the models as seen below. 14 liveries spread between the 6 different configured firefighting models. May not look that way in the poster preview, but they are there. It's the small differences. Some of which were even overlooked in the original. Like the previously mentioned difference between the S-64E/CH-54A gear assembly and the Erickson S-64F's. Which is technically what the original version is in the package. There wont be any further versions or liveries added in my Mod Pack. I have been in contact with a few other content makers that do plan on releasing additional repaints once these launch. Which hopefully will be before the end of 2020. Only one model remains to be finished and that's the CH-54A model equipped with the Aero Union RADS tank, the new pond snorkel I have yet to attach to it. Still a lot of work to do on them, but they are progressing.

It's not like this mod in all honesty needs more stuff for it. But I will including a "Misc" Simobjects file that represents at least one version of the Skycrane's fuel tenders. It's kind of a synonymous object associated with the Cranes. The Skycrane is a thirsty bird and wouldn't be the workhorses they are without fuel. Anyone who's seen one of the fuel tenders show up somewhere knew that a Crane likely wasn't far behind it. My hopes is to have this work in FSX as well as P3D like the helos themselves. So far it works being placed via P3D's SimDirector (as seen below) as well as using it as a fill station substitution object in FireFighterX. Which I have not tested yet. Still working some texture bugs out of it.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fuel2.jpg   FUELS2.jpg  

With the holiday season in full swing, work on the Skycranes has been rather slow with travel and other responsibilities at home. Progress on sounds has been the biggest step forward thus far. Honestly, the files are still a mess, a side effect of doing this many modifications. But I digress. I've opted at foregoing adding APU sounds. The addition of them is far too complicated and time consuming for the options available. So it will be left alone, perhaps for another time. I'm hoping to get all the versions finalized and into FSX beta testing some time in the middle of this month. But that is a pretty loose assessment based on the other projects I'm working on for SATO. I've also looked into the feasibility of the fuel tenders being available for use in FSX, but it does not look like at this time they will make it to FSX. They will likely only be a P3D option. My hope was being able to place them with FireFighterX as FSX lacks a built in mission builder like P3D does with SimDirector. Another drawback to FSX. For P3D users, this would give users the ability to place the fuel tender with either FFX or in a saved scenario in SimDirector. That aside, my biggest hope in reverting these back to FSX Native after basically modifying them in P3D is that they will go back without any issue. Which is why I will be running what will hopefully be a short beta test with people that still use FSX. Seen below is one of the S-64Es equipped with the Simplex model 2500 gallon tank.

Just a quick admin update on the crane pack. The physical modeling and tweaking is pretty much done I'd say. I'm starting to migrate the models to their proper base models. Once that's done and all the backups are done. I'll start reverting the models back to FSX native. With me not pursuing adding PBR to these, it's allowed for them to hopefully stay in both FSX and P3D (seems this was the larger consensus in the community was to keep PBR out to allow for it to be used in both sims still). I am prepping a small Beta test group for P3D currently to just test P3D compatibility outside of my system. A slightly larger group will be doing FSX Beta tests. Hopefully that should happen towards the middle of December. I'm hoping for a short test as it's nothing major in terms of development, it was just the addition of the new tanks, pond snorkels, the small cosmetic changes, and the new sounds. The base aircraft, as many know is pretty much golden. The sounds are still the primary focus to finish. But as seen in the above update, they've been improved slowly, but surely. My hope is to have them done by the end of the month or maybe by January 2021.

Beta testing 50% completed, FSX testing is next

Limited P3D beta testing has been completed with no issues being reported. I've started revision of the models back to FSX native (originally they were going to be for P3D only, but decided the want was greater for both platforms). Below is the first one of the models to go back to FSX native. No issues, which I wasn't exactly expecting since these worked just fine before. But just in case throwing them around in MCX so much with the new parts, I wanted to make sure nothing funky is going on. So the short beta in FSX is the next step in the process. Which will likely happen after Christmas. Release I'd expect is going to be early next year. Once the testing is done, I'll likely be getting back in touch with MilViz and getting the final okay to release the mod package. The sounds at this point are still being worked on. Progress is slow around the holidays, but it's progress none the less. Minor texture tweaks have also been done on some versions as well. Like 95HT below, the numbers on the tank have been adjusted slightly.

Models:
    Sikorsky CH-54A Tarhe (Aero Union Tank) (seen above)
    Sikorsky S-64E Skycrane (Simplex Tank)
    Sikorsky S-64E Skycrane (Erickson Tank)
    Erickson S-64E Skycrane (Erickson Tank / Forward Box)
    Erickson S-64F Skycrane (Erickson Tank / Forward Box)
    Erickson S-64F Skycrane (Erickson Tank / Forward Box / Radome)

14 liveries shown in the poster several posts ago.

As a refresher to what it was I've actually done. Aside from the new tank models I've added and corrected the model to the correct variations. I have removed the water cannon from the stock models and made the pond snorkels functional. The Erickson versions that have the ram snorkels retain the ability to use them in addition to being able to use the new pond snorkel now. I am also in the process of finishing and including updated sounds.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 95ht.jpg  

It's been a tedious and busy process since the last update. But that's how it goes right? The last bit is always the most time consuming it seems. P3D beta testing was completed late last month. Since I've reverted these back to FSX native to allow for people to also use them in FSX still, a brief test of the final pack in FSX is still needed before release. But the last texture updates are now finished. Sounds are also nearly completed. Due to how this mod is configured, I'm not able to get deep into implementing working sounds to the APU, so they've been added in the shutdown procession sounds for the engines instead. I've also added an optional addition of "BladeSlapSND" addon to add dynamic rotor effects to the Skycranes. The effect was originally uploaded for use in FSX-P3Dv2. But I've added the 64-bit control gauge and entries to update the sounds for use in P3Dv4+. Preview is below of that is also below. The exterior will be the last sound to be completed. I've also finalized and updated the model descriptions as some were incorrect compared to the real aircraft, an oversight on my part. Those have been fixed. No changed to the models was needed.

Updated final list of aircraft available in the mod package:

1) CH-54A Helicopter Transport Services USA(HT-95HT) Aero Union Tank Equipped
    2) CH-54A Siller Helicopters Inc. USA(HT-25M) Erickson Tank Equipped
    3) CH-54A Helicopter Transport Services USA (HT-792) Simplex Tank Equipped
    4) S-64E Erickson Air Crane-Kestrel Australia ("Jerry") Erickson Tank Equipped
    5) S-64E Erickson Air Crane-Kestrel Australia ("Gypsy Lady") Erickson Tank Equipped
    6) S-64E Erickson Air Crane-Kestrel Australia ("Malcolm") Erickson Tank Equipped
    7) S-64E Erickson Air Crane-Protezione Civile Italy ("Delilah") Erickson Tank Equipped
    8) S-64E Erickson Air Crane-San Diego Gas & Electric SDG&E USA (HT-729) Erickson Tank Equipped
    9) S-64F Erickson Air Crane-Vigili Del Fuoco Italy ("Aquila Rossa") Erickson Tank Equipped
    10) S-64F Erickson Air Crane-Vigili Del Fuoco Italy ("Geronimo") Erickson Tank Equipped w/Radome
    11) S-64F Erickson Air Crane-Forestale Italy ("Orso Bruno") Erickson Tank Equipped w/Radome
    12) S-64F Erickson Air Crane-Forestale Italy ("Toro Seduto") Erickson Tank Equipped w/Radome
    13) S-64F Erickson Air Crane- Forestale Italy ("Nuvola Rossa") Erickson Tank Equipped w/Radome
    14) S-64F Erickson Air Crane USA("Elvis") Erickson Tank Equipped

BladeSlapSND Addon for dynamic rotor sound effects on bank and deceleration

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SILLER2.jpg  

Continued from the above update

Updated interior Shutdown Sounds with Simulated APU run/shutdown:

Members +
    HB, Ca.-Seattle,Wa.-Fujieda-Shizuoka-Japan
    Will this also be for the Nemeth Designs S-64 as well?
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit 22H2 Build 19045.4123
    Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 (BIOS F-10)
    Core i7 3770K
    G-Skill Trident X 32GB DDR3 CL7-8-8-24
    Asus RTX 2070 OC 8GB
    1TB Crucial MX500 SSD
    1TB RAW Mushkin SSD
    1TB RAW Mushkin SSD
    2TB PNY CS900 SSD
    LG Blue Ray Burner DL
    Rosewill mid tower Challenger
    Corsair RM 750 PSU
    Inateck KU5211 USB 3.2 Adapter
    LTERIVER PCE-G2S4 PCIe 4port SATA card
    X56 HOTAS
    Grassmonkey Joseph II Puck
    Oculus Quest 2
    TM 2x MFD Cougar
    T-Mobile Home Internet 5G (KDV21)

Quote Originally Posted by udidwht View Post
    Will this also be for the Nemeth Designs S-64 as well?

Yes, they are the same helo as far as I'm aware of. These will be both FSX/P3Dv4+ compatible, as the original models are. The MilViz/Nemeth Skycranes are required for these to work. As this is simply an expansion pack to the original models.

Some interesting developments over the last week. Mostly model revisions. Currently starting a small test group for the models. One version was completely overhauled to include Erickson's new composite rotor blades. Although not in use in great numbers currently, as they were just approved by the FAA late in 2020. Only a few ships have them for evaluation purposes. One ship is HT-729 which flies under lease/contract to SDG&E down in San Diego, California. The rotors will likely appear on more and more as they are a considerable upgrade to the stock rotors. Boosting fuel economy, lifting capacity, and reducing vibration to the airframe were some of the new rotor's boasted features. But I felt this needed to be represented on these. So, new rotors were designed from the ground up and added. Not much reference material to go off of online in terms of actual dimensions, but I did what I could with what info I could gather.

After some testing in FSX, it's become quite clear that the expansion models are NOT compatible with FSX. Despite many many hours of trouble shooting and recompilation of model files with attempted fixes. Nothing has yielded acceptable results. So it's at this point I am giving up on FSX compatibility models. Now, originally, I had figured these were going to be P3Dv4+ versions only. But later on decided to see if I could keep them FSX compatible. Perhaps a bit too ambitious on my part with an already large project. But that's what Beta is for. So unfortunately, FSX users will not get any updated models of the S-64/CH-54 firefighting models. HOWEVER, I've been chatting with the beta testers and have come up with an upgrade pack at least for the MilViz Birds. I will release second. That update pack will have some updated camera views, as well as the updated sounds at least. I may add more to that. But FSX is a no go for there unfortunately. Some minor cosmetic fixes were caught in beta so I'm working on the fixes to those models and updating liveries. The number of models has not changed, nor the amount of liveries. Although, the beta file came out to around 620MB compressed to a ZIP file, so it's considerable. Lots of time and effort have gone into this, I'm hoping that after the cosmetic fixes are done to the models I can get these out finally by the middle or end of February 2021.

After a lot of late in the game "bumps" in the project. Things are running well in P3Dv4 testing of the new expansion pack. Things have been finalized in terms of the model lineup, liveries, etc. I have been in contact with a few other interested parties will be doing additional repaints after they've been released. I personally, have also talked with a few internally within our group and will likely release another repaint package at a later date for them as well. I am also still looking into a solution for FSX users, but that too will come at a later date, if at all. I have a possible solution I'm looking into, but nothing concrete as of yet. The list below is the final expansion pack versions. The amount of repaints remains the same across the 7 models, with 14 total liveries. I have attempted to update the prototype tanks to have more detail as well during this time. The expansion pack is considerable (~650MB in Zip format) with the addition of not just the models and liveries, but the newly updated sounds, and the updated modification to the "BladeSlapSND" audio addon for P3Dv4+ users.

1) CH-54A Tarhe (Erickson Tank)
    2) CH-54A Tarhe (Simplex 314 Tank)
    3) CH-54A Tarhe (Aero Union RADS II Tank)
    4) S-64E Skycrane (Erickson Tank, Equip Box, Ram Snorkel)
    5) S-64E+ Skycrane (Erickson Tank, Ram Snorkel, Composite Rotors)
    6) S-64F Skycrane (Erickson Tank, Equip Box, Ram Snorkel)
    7) S-64F Skycrane (Erickson Tank) Equip Box, Ram Snorkel, Weather Radar Radome)

Remaining versions found on Page 2.

CH-54A (Erickson Tank)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	81629
    CH-54A (Simplex 314 Tank)
    Click image for larger version.