Short Stirling - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Short Stirling

So I am interested to know if my failure to have the RPM gauges light up using +nlight is related to that?

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

It does make a necessary difference, but you'll also need this set of +clight files I created that match the rest of the Stirling gauges.

This zip also includes the B Gauge MKV .+clight.dds provided with the original package as well as a uv/radium version of the WELLsite.+nlight for those who are using the alternate TOW_Manchesterxxx bomb sights.

Since WELLsite is an nlight, instead of a clight file, the UV lights should be off when viewing the bombsight (F7), or you'll see the default red cockpit light instead of green.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Thanks Andy. That did the trick and I now see all gauges! Also the WELLsite.+nlight.dds is excellent.

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

Crazy me

My install had it at 5.0 not the 2.5, not sure why the upload was different. Oh well to many irons in the fire. Ok since it has been quite on the model I will upload a new one that has the following fixes:

1. Fixed the bomb bay doors
    2. Removed the red artifact
    3. Revised xdp to have the proper distance for the lights
    4. Changed the textures for the main instruments ( I can here you now) they will use the b_gauges.dds sheet the same one as the Manchester - why the boost warning was incorrect and the letters are more dim on the original. The mk1 max boost was 6.5 lbs so I just replaced to the correct sheet.

I will wait a little bit to see if there are any other little issues with her that folks have seen.

Maybe later today.

Well I thought I would check out the gunners to see how autopilot worked, which seemed fine, and also Bomb aimer control worked OK. However in the process of doing this in QC I forgort that I was supposedly on the runway at Kenley but in fact was in the air. That was why initially I had autopilot issues.

It turns out that, in 2 installs, the Stirling will not start on the runway at either Kenley or Bassingbourn, while the Manchesters will. Now I have not checked all the QC runways, but I know Alconbury and Binbrook have no issues. If it was one install and all aircraft .......

So the ? is; is this a runway, qclocations, or an aircraft issue.

James

it works for me. no issues. I checked about 10 different bases fighter, coastal and bomber all good.

Just

uploaded the revised model.

The library description text changed, but the download still has the original package.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Can you upload v1.1 again? The library is still just providing v1.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Give the library a chance to clear it, gents, we’re training new staff.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Just downloaded v1.1 but based on the fixes 1.1 was supposed to have, it looks like the download still contains the original. Also, looks like the top and rear turrets are missing textures?

At any rate, this is a really impressive model. The sheer size of it... Love the landing gear animation too.

gecko

The turrets are mapped to the main texture and John painted them black. If you are speaking about the interior as long as you have the Manchester you should have all the files you need along with what is supplied. I know it is fixed on my machine and uploaded what I have. If you see otherwise let me know and I will try again.

jeez you had me worried so I just checked and the exterior turrets are in fact mapped to the main texture in black....phew

Dan is talking about the mid upper and rear turret interiors Ted, those textures have never shown for me either, probably a naming problem, as you know I have all the Manchester textures!
    John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

I just downloaded it from the library again, and it is not version 1.1 yet. For example there is still the extra door swinging the wrong way on the bomb bay.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Thanks Ted, got the Manchester into that install and it looks like the turret interiors and exteriors are good now. While investigating all this in the external model and found that it called for stirling_vc1.dds and stirling_vc3.dds, and I have no textures by that name. Making a copy of stirling_vc1_t.dds and stirling_vc3_t.dds and renaming them to the missing texture names got most of the external model cockpit textures to show. I suggest either including the called for textures or changing the textures in the external model m3d to match the existing texture names. At this point it looks like it's only the cockpit floor that remains untextured (both interior and exterior models).

Too many iterations of the models

Jeez, too may versions and changes during the development.... Not sure why the floor is not textured it should be from the interior dds. Well at least that is how it was planned. Ha!

Yeah, used gmax for the interior and max for the exterior models. Never again. the exterior models call for the textures without the _t and _s while the interior does. Well just copy the offending maps (vc1, vc3 and interior) and drop the _t and _s respectively and all is good. If I get around to it I will fix it if not you guys are more than able to fix this on your end. When I started this project my max install was wonky and I switched. Sorted out my max issues and never went back to fix it. Just think of it as a end used fix.....

Ta Ta!

So will someone please put up a definitive fixed version of this great work by Ted. I'm not even sure that I have the latest version now in spite of various corrections I got hold of.

I just checked again and the library file server is still providing the original version 1 instead of the intended update to 1.1...
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

My daily check-in. The library file server is still loaded with version 1 and version 1.1 with the fixes is still not available for us to download.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by NachtPiloten View Post
    ... Just think of it as a end used fix.....
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorMagee View Post
    My daily check-in. The library file server is still loaded with version 1 and version 1.1 with the fixes is still not available for us to download.
    And this is where I checkout for the third time. Three times I have tried to get into CFS3, and every time I have had to give up because of the piecemeal approach that this group adopts.

It starts with the basic install guides for the MAW, RS and other campaigns, which begin with instructions to create a new install in the default location. Years later, people quote the very good advice that installs should not go in to the default location, but the install instructions are never updated to reflect this.

Then there are the new updated models of planes like my beloved Spitfire. To install this I need other downloads as well as the new release. Why cannot everything be included in one simple to install download ?

You keep complaining that there are very few new members to this group, but these actions are driving newcomers like me away. You form a very small knowledgeable group, but that means that you do not consider the needs of newcomers, since you all understand what is posted and uploaded - more or less. In effect, you are practically a closed user group.

And I just do not have the time or knowledge to keep up with you. Goodbye.

Rohan, I’m sorry things don’t suit you, but that’s the legacy of software unsupported by the manufacturer or payware developers. If you want things plug-and-play it will cost money, because developing these things takes a huge amount of time and some of us have other calls on ours.

CFS3’s freeware history is chequered, true, but some of us have seen these projects like MAW and RS come to fruition at considerable cost to those who built them. It’s called burnout. If those who gave their efforts for nothing have decided not to update them because there are more important things in their lives nowadays, then that’s their decision. We respect it, you might too.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

response

Yes some sims like the IL2 series require a different approach to upgrades and there are groups working together to create these etc. Newer sims have for profit and freeware. These are added piecemeal in some cases too. CFS3 has evolved to a small group of users who really enjoy the ability to tinker in the software. End users who want a one button update really need to go somewhere else - not to be harsh but we never were a one button group, years ago folks used an install app to help, but all those folks seem to have left us for other activities. It seems that a download now gets what 50-150 hits and years back in the thousands. Yes we are pretty much a closed group just having fun and doing things because we want to, not too much for others but for ourselves. Just the way this situation has evolved I guess. It is a shame that folks get frustrated with us and the lack of an organized approach to updates. But even then the updating is a bit complicated and not one button.

I do apologize for being a bit sloppy on the Stirling updates. Will do better next time...speaking of which maybe the Luftwaffe needs an update.

I concur with the latter 2 posts; not much to add. In fact if one goes through the various installations in a timely and systematic manner, it's not too complicated. It's hardly possible, given the nature of the original CFS3; it's engine and subsequent abandonment by MS, to have an all encompassing single install. It's logical , and even ILS does it, to have separate theatres. All of this is worked on by people dedicating their free time to produce free additions, so IMHO, I would think someone coming to the sim should not begrudge some effort on their side to get it up and running for them.

BTW as this post is about the Stirling, I am still at a loss as to why v. 1.1 is not available here yet.

I think

I will delete the original upload and start afresh. This may be tomorrow as real life does draw me away....I think it will be cleaner and give me a chance to do it right.

Let's not forget that this program came out on October 24, 2002!

What we're continuing to accomplish with the old girl, without any support from the developer, is actually pretty amazing if you think about it.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Members who have read this thread: 0