Autogen Scenery invisible Through Prop Blur Disk - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Autogen Scenery invisible Through Prop Blur Disk

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    Gavin, thanks again for the additional info. Will attack it again later when my brain is in the right "Zen" state.
    Mulled by alcohol....

SOH-CM-2022
    Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    Mulled by alcohol....
    A little splash never hurts to get the creative juices flowing

Quote Originally Posted by gavinc View Post
    A little splash never hurts to get the creative juices flowing
    And a little splash (or two) did indeed help me with this conversion. I have all the animations working properly except for the prop's transition from slow to blurred. Nothing I've done has fixed that. I noticed in Paul's FSX-native Northrop BT-1 the prop_blurred part has a "custom" visibility entry: custom_vis_PROP_MAX_RPM_PCT_1_01
    I suspect that has something to do with the slow prop disappearing after the engine throttles up but I am clueless as to how to duplicate that. Also, now that I have all parts of the exterior model working OK I've noticed that the basic VC of Paul's original plane is gone. I've almost concluded that except for the learning curve this conversion hasn't been worth the man hours just to see autogen scenery through the prop arc. Any suggestions for restoring or aliasing the VC would be appreciated... or maybe I should visit the FSDeveloper forum? Everybody over there seems to be far more knowledgeable about this stuff than me.

SOH-CM-2022
    And a little splash (or two) did indeed help me with this conversion. I have all the animations working properly except for the prop's transition from slow to blurred. Nothing I've done has fixed that. I noticed in Paul's FSX-native Northrop BT-1 the prop_blurred part has a "custom" visibility entry: custom_vis_PROP_MAX_RPM_PCT_1_01
    I suspect that has something to do with the slow prop disappearing after the engine throttles up but I am clueless as to how to duplicate that. Also, now that I have all parts of the exterior model working OK I've noticed that the basic VC of Paul's original plane is gone. I've almost concluded that except for the learning curve this conversion hasn't been worth the man hours just to see autogen scenery through the prop arc. Any suggestions for restoring or aliasing the VC would be appreciated... or maybe I should visit the FSDeveloper forum? Everybody over there seems to be far more knowledgeable about this stuff than me.
    The prop visibility is strictly based on whether you have the visibility conditions defined correctly. Drop me a PM and you can send me a copy of your conversion, then I can see what is wrong.

Regarding the VC, in FSX the VC is a separate model.
    Follow Tom's instructions here http://www.calclassic.com/convert_tutorial/part7.html
    and you can extract the VC from the FS9 model.

Don't give up now - you are nearly there.

Gavin

Gavin, I sent you a PM.
    The VC import using Tom's tutorial was very easy, I don't know why I thought it was going to be difficult. In addition to the troublesome prop transition, the only glitch I have now is this black rectangle in the VC. This is apparently the surface that the panel.bmp goes on but I can't figure out how to make it transparent. If I remove the part from the VC mdl I lose the panel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TBD_Panel_Rectangle.jpg   TBD_Panel_Rectangle_MCX.jpg  

SOH-CM-2023
    Gavin, I sent you a PM.
    The VC import using Tom's tutorial was very easy, I don't know why I thought it was going to be difficult. In addition to the troublesome prop transition, the only glitch I have now is this black rectangle in the VC. This is apparently the surface that the panel.bmp goes on but I can't figure out how to make it transparent. If I remove the part from the VC mdl I lose the panel.
    Open the vc model. click on the material editor. Hit the checkbox for highlight selecter and find the texture for the vc. Up top is a drop down (usually says Add night texture) click it and scroll to the "Set Default transparent" and click apply. That will fix the VC rectangle issue.
    You can't take the sky from me...

Brian, thanks again, that fixed the black rectangle. My reading comprehension needs improvement, I see that was covered in Tom's tutorial.

Brian, thanks again, that fixed the black rectangle. My reading comprehension needs improvement, I see that was covered in Tom's tutorial.
    You overdid the "mulled by alcohol" bit...

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    You overdid the "mulled by alcohol" bit...
    I was worried that the black rectangle was alcohol-related!

Prop fixed. VC fixed, all animations working... conversion completed. Thanks to all of you who commented and helped me during my conversion project. I've learned a lot about what you can do with ModelConverterX and what I thought was above my knowledge level was actually possible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TBD-1_FSX_Final.jpg  

Pop the cork and pour a glass of bubbly!

Isn't it nice when a plan comes together?

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by srgalahad View Post
    Pop the cork and pour a glass of bubbly!
    Isn't it nice when a plan comes together?
    I do feel pretty good about finishing the project, and not giving up even though it took me almost three weeks.
    Now after my "learning curve" I could convert the plane to FSX almost as fast as Gavin did (see post #5).

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Gladden View Post
    Open the vc model. click on the material editor. Hit the checkbox for highlight selecter and find the texture for the vc. Up top is a drop down (usually says Add night texture) click it and scroll to the "Set Default transparent" and click apply. That will fix the VC rectangle issue.

Hey Brian

Thank you so much for answering me.

I cannot get the ModelConverterX version 1.4.0.0 at the moment, Google says the site is unaccessible but I'm gonna give it a try when it is.

Thank you again for your kind help.

Pierre_NC.

Members who have read this thread: 0