Downloading 1.8.3.0 - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Downloading 1.8.3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    Damn, reading all of this, I'm hoping I can fly it without updating.
    It comes up as mandatory. No way around it.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Weird, other than not being able to set the sensitivity curves for the control axes for now, I've been having a good experience with this update (already spent two hours making 4 flights tonight). It's probably just my imagination, but it seems to look even better than it was before (scenery/lighting), though all of the my flights were around late evening/dusk. Happy to see a control tower now at KSTP.
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Looking into Packages\Official\OneStore, it looks like just about everything got updated in one way or another according to the last update timestamp on the folders.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Blog Entries
    Looks like the update went smoothly for me. I need a drink.
    I always go deer in the headlights uploading/updating anything from MS.
    PTSD

For reference: I'm running most of the settings in the high end range, ultra for pretty much everything.

Loaded an IFR in the Citation...flying that now. I got a faster boot for sure. System performance is in the green, no obvious negative impacts anywhere that I can find. Seems like the color has improved...less watercolor looking through real weather atmosphere. Color is richer for sure. Less screen tearing in the VC. Overall the whole thing was pretty painless, other than the fact that it took all day and we have quarter mile visibility under this smoke blanket, so I couldn't really go out and walk in the bush while the download ran.

Hope everything goes well for others. It's a new sim...gonna be buggy, so I guess we signed up for a little bit of pain along the way. That said...it feels good to have the new MS sim and Prepar3Dv5 running WFO with no real issues. Gotta say, since Mr. Venema released the ORBX TrueEarth product line Prepar3Dv5 can still hold its head high next to the MS sim visually.

IMO, as a sim enthusiast and developer I feel very privileged to have both of these stunning platforms at my fingertips. We've come a long way.
    Last edited by gman5250; September 16th, 2020 at 20:58.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

CTD constantly now, don't know what went wrong.

As an anecdotal point, I just applied the update and flew out of KASH for 47 minutes. The only issues I came across were:

1. I couldn't see my liveries until I exited the software after the update and restarted it
    2. It appears the lights on the radios are now tied to the Taxi Light switch and the Dome light does not turn on (maybe they're simulating a burnt out bulb?) on the C-152. This could, however, be related to the fact that I am using the C-152X addon. I'll have to remove it and see if that fixes things.

Also, why is the landing light so dim on the C-152?... I might switch to using the Taxi light when doing night landings, which is MUCH brighter, which weren't exactly super easy to do without any lighting in the cockpit... Had to set the plane up by feel.

I know I'm REALLY loving these fluid frame rates!

For the record, I have Clouds and Ambient Occlusion set to Ultra, and the rest are in the medium/low settings. Someone either here or the MS forum posted a link to a rather long video that compared every level of just about every setting option. I wish I could find it now. There are so many items on the list that have very little real difference between low and high settings, but clouds set to low look like someone took a bag of cotton balls and launched them from a potato gun.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

When I installed the update yesterday, which went very smoothly, I first made sure that there were no addons in the Community folder (I put them in a different folder temporarily). I also made sure that there weren't any modifications to the official files (I only had one - the reduced tree file - which I replaced with the original file prior to the update).

One of the recommendations, if you have repaints, is to make sure that the Aircraft.cfg files are up-to-date. I have looked through most of the Aircraft.cfg files in the Official files folder and none of them appear to have changed, so I think all of the repaints are fine with their current Aircraft.cfg files. Not sure about the major mod packs for some (like the A320 and C152), as I've stayed away from those.
    Lenovo Legion T730 / Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6-5.0 GHz / 130W Liquid Cooling / GeForce RTX 2800 / 32GB DDR4 / MSI 550W PSU / 4K 43" TCL LED TV

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    When I installed the update yesterday, which went very smoothly, I first made sure that there were no addons in the Community folder (I put them in a different folder temporarily). I also made sure that there weren't any modifications to the official files (I only had one - the reduced tree file - which I replaced with the original file prior to the update).

One of the recommendations, if you have repaints, is to make sure that the Aircraft.cfg files are up-to-date. I have looked through most of the Aircraft.cfg files in the Official files folder and none of them appear to have changed, so I think all of the repaints are fine with their current Aircraft.cfg files. Not sure about the major mod packs for some (like the A320 and C152), as I've stayed away from those.
    I gotta say, it does seem silly to me that you need the whole aircraft.cfg file just to add some [FLTSIM.x] sections, especially since it precludes them updating the aircraft.cfg sections just so we can have repaints.

Of course that doesn't preclude us wanting to actually change the aircraft.cfg data, as, for instance, C-152X does. I just don't see why they are in the same file.

Seems like there should be a Repaint.cfg file... which, I imagine, could very easily be implemented by us by adding to the .json file the requisite file? I wonder if the software is looking for an "aircraft.cfg" file to find the contents of the file, or is it just looking for the data structures contained in the aircraft.cfg file, which could in fact be in any file, which is what I would do....

CAUTION LADS.

The Patch is broken in what seems like many ways.

One thing is clear - Empty your Community Folder (just shoot the contents over to another New Folder) before accepting the Download.

Information further coming but for us at the SOH - it totally breaks FSX Airframes - maybe deliberately, maybe by accident - who cares.

APPROACH WITH ABSOLUTE CAUTION - PATCH 1.8.3.0

If your MSFS is running to your satisfaction - then don't let it in.

My prediction being that ASOBO will Patch the PATCH within a fortnight.
    Jim
    NAVIGATION; The art of knowing where you are without having to crash into it first.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    It comes up as mandatory. No way around it.
    Your Avatar - with the scary mask - really frightens. It's not funny, entertaining or anything - especially with your screwed up facial features - it's just horrible.

In these times that we live in - perhaps you could think of something a little less scary and demonic and a bit more friendly.
    Honestly, every time I see your avatar it sends me a little further away from this place. I love your posts and I love what you generally have to say but. . .

I'm not kidding - your avatar looks really horrible.

I'm asking.

x
    Jim
    NAVIGATION; The art of knowing where you are without having to crash into it first.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganter View Post
    CAUTION LADS.

One thing is clear - Empty your Community Folder (just shoot the contents over to another New Folder) before accepting the Download.

Information further coming but for us at the SOH - it totally breaks FSX Airframes - maybe deliberately, maybe by accident - who cares.

I certainly hope they fix it. At present, I believe I will end up having to do a complete uninstall/reinstall when all is said and done.

BTW, does anyone know where the controller settings config is saved? I was hoping to save my settings and then move them over once all is sorted so I don't have to re-bind everything. I hate asking questions on their support forums as you get your head chewed off by some of the drive-by posters there.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Ganter View Post
    CAUTION LADS.

Again, anecdotally, I left everything in my Community folder and have not experienced any issues other than what I said previously. I wonder if it has something to do with the wide variety of ways people have installed the software. I'm on MSStore. I did have an issue after the FIRST update, where the area surrounding last airport I flew out of prior to the update was stripped bare of trees (not buildings). I had initially installed in the WpApps directory. The only fix that I could figure out was to uninstall and reinstall. This time, I installed to my own directory, and noticed none of the files are encrypted when you don't install in the WpApps directory. I wonder if this has something to do with my smoother update this time?

Is there any common theme for people who have had problems as to where it's installed and where they purchased (i.e. Steam, WpApps, etc.)? I wonder if encryption and file ownership issues, and files people may have edited in the official directory, are screwing up the reliability of the install. For instance, I wonder if some sort of file caching issue that wasn't cleaned up properly combined with encryption/file ownership issues screwed up my first update. And by my now owning all my files made my second update go better.

Did a few flights tonight with the patched sim, no problems except for not being able to calibrate the controls anymore. But then again, I fly in Alaska, with twins and not jets and have no mods whatsoever.
    I thought I'd wait a good few months before starting to look at add-ons.....
    François A. 'Navman' Dumas
    Retired - FSAddon Publishing
    Umbria, Italy

https://fssupport.com/fsblog/

The only mods I have now are a replacement set of strobes and nav lights, along with some scenery bits like Stonehenge. I removed all performance and instrument mods to avoid conflicts.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

I uninstalled and reinstalled the sim, all seems to be working right so far.............

the update went smoothly for me. I have the Windows Store version installed to a custom location and moved everything out of the Community folder before updating just in case.

It's a bit disappointing about the broken control calibration but I can always adjust it in the Saitek software for my X55 for now until they fix it.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Installed 1.8.3.0, changed nothing evrything the same, no problems, lack calibration for my joystick, loading time quicker, made a few simple day flights on the Cessnas, no problems so far...

I'm happy with it right now. Flying at 1920x1080 all settings on Ultra with AI traffic at 50% and getting up to 45 fps now. My gpu is RTX 2070 Super. My CPU is the i5 9600k, thinking about getting the i9 cpu, does anyone that has that cpu think it will make a huge difference?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1250410_20200917193744_1.jpg  

I've noticed two airports so-far that were missing control towers before, that now have control towers after the update (KSTP and KOSH).

Quote Originally Posted by BananaBob View Post
    I'm happy with it right now. Flying at 1920x1080 all settings on Ultra with AI traffic at 50% and getting up to 45 fps now. My gpu is RTX 2070 Super. My CPU is the i5 9600k, thinking about getting the i9 cpu, does anyone that has that cpu think it will make a huge difference?

I think some optimizing of your settings could help a great deal here. Some Ultra settings are very taxing but not very noticeable compared to their High setting. Even the new 3080 cards are not pulling 60fps @ 1080p on all Ultra settings.

I followed Digital Foundry's optimization guide and had good results. Basically, use the High preset, then change Anisotropic filtering to 16x, Texture Supersampling to 8x8 and Ultra texture synthesis and Ultra textures. You can see in your screenshot that your being limited by your GPU so turning things like clouds and trees etc to high should improve performance without sacrificing much visual fidelity.

Thanks a lot ak416! Will try those settings. 👍

I have the Windows Store Premium version, left everything in the folders. Update went smoothly. Except for no control calibration ability, everything seems o be working ok.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

This update allowed me to finally be able to use this sim on my low end i5 7300q, 8gb ram, and gtx1050 4gb. I am able to fly many areas on medium when before I could not even fly on low settings. I get much better frame rates and less stutters. For me this update was amazing!

Members who have read this thread: 1