Just wondering

Thread: Just wondering

Just wondering

if there was ever a workaround / gauge tweek that enabled taildraggers to catch arrestor wires?

Ttfn

Pete

No tweak or work-around, but there are at least three software programs that are designed for the purpose.

Arrestor Cables is my preference, but the only way to get it is to buy one of the packages it's included in, and I must say that I have not been very impressed with what I've seen of the packages. I haven't seen them all, but I was very put off when I found that the Henderson Field that came with the WW2 Carrier Ops package was an airport that didn't exist until years after WW2 and is located in the north Pacific, many hundreds of miles from the Solomon Islands. That said, I really like ArrCAb. It will only catapult nosedraggers (don't ask me why!) but the arresting gear works with any plane.

3Wire is apparently very similar to ArrCAb. I don't have it so I'm not familiar with it in detail, but I know that the cable catch zones on the carriers are virtually the same.

A third choice is the Carrier Operations Gauge package. It includes a representation of the Fresnel Lens landing system and it seems to have been designed with modern jets in mind.

A big difference between the systems is that with ArrCab and 3Wire you have to make a cable catch zone for each aircraft carrier you want to use it with, but you don't have to modify the plane to use the arresting gear. The Carrier Ops Gauge package requires that you add stuff to every plane. I have a lot more carrier planes than I have carriers, and I find it much simpler to set up each ship once with a cable catch zone and forget about it, rather than modify every carrier plane I have or will obtain in the future.

As I mentioned, ArrCab requires the purchase of one of several payware packages from Abacus, if they still sell their FS9 stuff. 3Wire is free, as is the Carrier Ops Gauge Package, and you should be able to find them on Avsim or FlightSim. If I was starting from scratch I think I'd go with 3Wire.

Members who have read this thread: 0