What!! Lost Again??

Thread: What!! Lost Again??

Icon9 What!! Lost Again??

Good Afternoon All,

I am running FSX Accel. Windows 10. Over the last couple of months, I have noticed that when an airport on the East Coast Of North America is selected, that though the selected airport appears, after a few seconds, I get a pop-up, "A fatal error has occurred-Microsoft will be advised. FSX will shut down and re-start." This only happens on the East Coast of North America, including Canada, the Caribbean Islands, and all of South America. The West Coast of the U.S.A. , including Alaska, all of Western Canada, and the rest of the World is un-effected. For example, San Antonio ,Texas, is effected, but El Paso is fine, Omaha, Nebraska, is effected, but Grey Bull , Wyoming is fine also, and so on. I have downloaded a number of scenery files over the last few months, but there seems to be no connection. Anyone got any ideas??

Could be corrupt scenery or texture files. Have you installed any add-on airports or scenery enhancements?
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Continuing:

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    Could be corrupt scenery or texture files. Have you installed any add-on airports or scenery enhancements?
    Hi stansdds,
    yes, thanks for that thought. I have down loaded a number of airports over the last few months, and a number of aircraft textures, and I have considered deleting the scenery files in reverse order, though I wanted to get some further ideas from the forum. As far as I can recollect, none of the scenery files were in the areas effected, but if that is the only solution then that,s what I will have to do. Is it possible aircraft texture files would also effect scenery files? If so, I’ll be a busy lad.

If the same aircraft can be flown on both east and west coasts then it most likely is scenery related. Good idea to remove the add-on scenery one at a time. You can do that by disabling them in Scenery Library rather than uninstalling them.

It does seem strange that they would all fail in "East Coast of North America, including Canada, the Caribbean Islands, and all of South America" and not elsewhere. That's a pretty big area. Did you add any terrain mesh software in addition to airports? If so I would start with that. Might just be that you need to change the priority of something in Scenery Library.

Re: Scenery Fatal Errors

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    If the same aircraft can be flown on both east and west coasts then it most likely is scenery related. Good idea to remove the add-on scenery one at a time. You can do that by disabling them in Scenery Library rather than uninstalling them.

It does seem strange that they would all fail in "East Coast of North America, including Canada, the Caribbean Islands, and all of South America" and not elsewhere. That's a pretty big area. Did you add any terrain mesh software in addition to airports? If so I would start with that. Might just be that you need to change the priority of something in Scenery Library.
    Thanks Frank. No, I did not add and scenery mesh, I only added freeware scenery files (airports), to the Scenery Files, so I’ll start with those. Thanks for your help, and I’ll let you know how I go.

Best Regards

I actually wonder if it might be a standard FSX file that covers that area that's corrupt?

Most likely a corrupt scenery file.
    I had this happen often in the PNW area when flying from KSEA to CYVR.
    Downloaded FSUIPC (free version is fine) for FSX and no issues so far. CTD's are gone.
    In a lot of cases (but not always), FSUIPC will essentially trick the sim to 'skip' over the corrupt file and carry on, ..... instead of causing freezing and a CTD.
    Worth a try and is easier than trying to decipher which scenery contains the error.
    Hoping it works for you like it did for me.

http://www.fsuipc.com/
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

The Thot Plickens

Quote Originally Posted by MZee1960 View Post
    Most likely a corrupt scenery file.
    I had this happen often in the PNW area when flying from KSEA to CYVR.
    Downloaded FSUIPC (free version is fine) for FSX and no issues so far. CTD's are gone.
    In a lot of cases (but not always), FSUIPC will essentially trick the sim to 'skip' over the corrupt file and carry on, ..... instead of causing freezing and a CTD.
    Worth a try and is easier than trying to decipher which scenery contains the error.
    Hoping it works for you like it did for me.

http://www.fsuipc.com/
    Thanks for that. I've deleted a number of recently added scenery files, but at the moment the result is that when bringing up FSX, I get the following pop-ups. Quote "SCENERY, CFG file error. Invalid Remote scenery path in scenery area 003. Click O.K. to continue." The same message comes up for scenery areas. 003,004, 005, 006, 013, 014, 084, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, and 291. Having "O.K.d" all of the afore mentioned, I can then proceed normally, with the original problem still being the same. As I am a total and complete illiterate on computers, I have to ask, (Please don't break down into hysterical giggles), what is FSUIPC. Over to you!!

1. It sounds like you deleted or moved the files, but didn't remove the airports from FSX, so it's still looking for them. You need to go into the Scenery manager and either delete them from there, or disable them.
    2. It seems weird that the WHOLE east coast is affected, typically, if a particular scenery is bad, it only affects you when you get within 50 miles of it or so.

To that end, I had a constant crashing problem in FSX:SE that I eventually tracked down to a scenery I had created that had parking spots that weren't connected to the taxiway system.

Funny thing is I didn't get a crash near the airport in a regulary FSX:ACC copy I have on another computer.

The Thot Plickens (Continued)

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    1. It sounds like you deleted or moved the files, but didn't remove the airports from FSX, so it's still looking for them. You need to go into the Scenery manager and either delete them from there, or disable them.
    2. It seems weird that the WHOLE east coast is affected, typically, if a particular scenery is bad, it only affects you when you get within 50 miles of it or so.

To that end, I had a constant crashing problem in FSX:SE that I eventually tracked down to a scenery I had created that had parking spots that weren't connected to the taxiway system.

Funny thing is I didn't get a crash near the airport in a regulary FSX:ACC copy I have on another computer.
    Thanks FlyingsCool. Sounds like this could be the way to go. I've been researching the boundaries of the "fatal errors" and have found that for example, everything is fine east of El Paso, Texas to 76TE Big Tank Ranch, but a few miles further east at 88TA,Figure 2 Ranch, it's Fatal Error territory. Likewise, flying from T27, Horizon, Texas to KCNM, Carlsbad, New Mexico, Horizon is fine, but Carlsbad is effected. I have just done a flight in the Carenado Cheyenne III to check on this route and at top of descent almost exactly 50 n.m. from Carlsbad, up popped "Fatal Error"!!!! I've now also found out that the Bahamas, Bermuda, Iceland and Greenland are also effected, but random checks throughout the rest of the world appear to be O.K. I assume that you mean removing the same from FSX Addon Scenery may help. I'll try it and see what happens. Thanks to all of you who have replied to my problem, I very much appreciate your input.

The Saga Continues.(Fatal Error Pop-Ups in Scenery Files)

Re my previous posts. Firstly, thanks to all who replied to my earlier questions regarding "fatal error" pop-ups on scenery in North America, South America, the Caribbean Islands, etc. I have slowly been deleting Add-On scenery Files from F.S.X. which were in some of the areas effected, and I have managed to recover Greenland, Iceland and some ports in North America, (e.g. Goose Bay). However, I've noticed that when I go to select airports in the U.S.A. the filters in the Select Airport box list only 6943 airports available, not the 7000 plus listed before. Missing for example are KSFO, KOAK, etc, are most airports from North of Bakersfield to the Oregon Border-they do not even show as the listed airports. Some smaller airports on the East Coast have been recovered e.g. TN41, and 96GA. As mentioned before, the rest of the world seems to be un-effected. Anyone any further ideas?

Members who have read this thread: 0