Video - Battle of Britain Intercept

Thread: Video - Battle of Britain Intercept

Icon22 Video - Battle of Britain Intercept

Just put up a video putting the Spitfire Mk.II through its paces during the Battle of Britain. About 12 Spitfires vs about 70 Germans. Gets a bit hairy, and in retrospect I should have made my exit much sooner! You might pick up on some new features that will be included in the Spitfire Mk.V release if you look carefully.

https://youtu.be/mPVMQRRXcuA

Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    Just put up a video putting the Spitfire Mk.II through its paces during the Battle of Britain. About 12 Spitfires vs about 70 Germans. Gets a bit hairy, and in retrospect I should have made my exit much sooner! You might pick up on some new features that will be included in the Spitfire Mk.V release if you look carefully.

https://youtu.be/mPVMQRRXcuA
    You have honestly performed magic with this package. I love them hugely, and they are seriously endowed with the best flying/fighting experience possible in CFS3.

Interesting mission!!

I don't think I picked up on any of the new features but I noticed two things that I don't have: The Bf 109's throttle setting/smoke effect and its flyby engine sound. Where can I get those?

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

I believe that's the best CFS3 video I have seen

That is fantastic modeling! The reflections are great as well as the overall realism of the cockpit and aircraft. I assume you are using WOTR scenery though? Great flying which I would expect from an actual pilot! IIRC though, one shouldn't follow the enemy to the deck and loose height advantage!
    Last edited by mongoose; September 8th, 2020 at 11:28.

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Blog Entries
    Wow! That was great Daniel! What a jammy landing at the end too!
    For a sim of its age it looks bloody marvellous! (Thanks Ankor!) Lots of brilliant effects too, the breathing, 109 throttle smoke and probably the best representation of a reticle I've seen.
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

Thanks for the kind words guys. Yep, multiple tactical errors were definitely made, starting with my decision to abandon the fight with the top cover and go for the bombers. Pretty sure it was a hit to an oil line that eventually put my engine out of action at the end. No idea if a jammy landing is a good thing or a bad thing, but at least I made it to the beach and didn't have to swim!

Joost, yeah, I showed less than intended, forgot to do something before starting the flight which left out most of it. Didn't realize until after the video was up. I guess I'll just have to do another one.

Check post #1168 in the screenshots thread for the 109 smoke: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...nshots!/page47

The reticle effect I posted just below that is not the one in this video. This one is included with the Spitfire Mk.II and was created specifically for that aircraft.

Thanks for the pointer!!

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

Dan

1. Looking at the video, is it just me or is the 109 you are after seem to be over maneuverable?

2. Back to the old matter of scenerey which as you said was mentioned in a link associated with the smoking 109. I assume WOTR is the same While you say "You need to replace the contents of your assets and terrains folders with the ones from WOFF.", you also added "Threedp, yes, basically, but it is a little more complicated to get it set up in WM Scenery manager to be able to change seasons, but still mainly just a matter of putting files in the right folders. I posted links to all the related threads for Owen on the last page of the screenshots thread." Do you know what page was as I assume it isn't now?

While I at it. I note you say the reticle is for "JF Spitfire IAs or the AvHistory Spitfire Vs xdp - I think you will also have to copy the cockpit from the Spitfire VIII package to make it fit right, or adjust the X, Y, and Z values in the lines:"

Is there any reason why it won't work for the BoB Spits; although I do note the part about the Vs and using VIII's pit. Thinking more what's the difference with the JF ac?

1. The 109 has an AvHistory 4.0 flight model, so it should be pretty much right. It didn't feel better than it should be flying against it. If you're comparing its maneuverability to what I was getting out of the Spitfire, there's a few factors to consider. First, as a result of the dives, my airspeed was often significantly higher than my ideal maneuvering speed, and on the early Spits with fabric-covered ailerons, this is particularly evident in roll rate. At other points I was not pulling as hard as I could because I could feel that I was on the edge of a stall, and at least once I overdid it and snap-rolled. Last, I took some damage to my left aileron, and possibly elsewhere, that reduced my maneuverability.

2. Not sure, but I assume it's still in there somewhere!

3. The reticle is fine for any of them, but the X, Y, and Z coordinates will be different on each model. The AvHistory and JF Battle of Britain Spits (but not JF's later Spitfire package) are all based on the same model, so what works for one works for the other. Anything else and you'll have to make your own adjustments to position it correctly.

Members who have read this thread: 0