Bob Braham's first score. 24/25 August 1940. TOW Era 1

Thread: Bob Braham's first score. 24/25 August 1940. TOW Era 1

Bob Braham's first score. 24/25 August 1940. TOW Era 1

29th Squadron had 9 Blenheim NFs with A.I.Mk III radar. There is some confusion on the dates etc., of Braham's first score but I am basing this on 'No Place for Chivalry' by Alastair Goodrum
    https://www.amazon.com/No-Place-Chiv...9344596&sr=8-1 On the night in question, at about 01:20 hrs Digby Control vectored Brham and Sgt. Wilsden towards the Humber and Hull.. where at 8000 ft.he saw the target He111. Both Braham and Wilsden fired good bursts into the Heinkel which they last saw smoking and loosing height. A He111 crashed into the Humber and was pobably the one they hit.

Sadly in this mission the A.I.Radar.EXE while on and apparently working, did not vector me into the target. I will have to check if the Humber area is covered by Steve. I am still tinkering with this mission.

Braham took off from Wellingore close to Digby.

Wellingore runway

In the Blenheim's pilot seat at take off

and away!

Radar scope is on!

Combat over Hull and the Humber area!

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Love those panel lights...
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Nice to see what the AI radar looks like when it's on!!!. Must get that mod that lights up gauges.

Sadly in this mission the A.I.Radar.EXE while on and apparently working, did not vector me into the target. I will have to check if the Humber area is covered by Steve. I am still tinkering with this mission
    you can send me the mission at some point and I will have a look. Maybe change the a/c to ones i have 1st. Thought the Humber was covered as I did a test mission there.

unfortunately , I have lost the cfs3 map I made with ground radar covered areas so I havent much clue any more . I back everything else up but didnt take much care with this.

Sent you an email. A QC test with the same ac flying from Binbrook (near the Humber/Hull area). was successful so your stuff is there! I will try again in the missions(s)

Record Operations Book Extract

Extracts from the 29 Sqn Record Operation Book and Summary of Events for the event attached.

These can currently be downloaded free (50 records every 30 days per e-mail address) during the current pandemic from here: https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...oks-1939-1945/.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 29 Sqn Record Qperation Book 8-40.jpg   29 Sqn Summary of Events 8-40.jpg  

Thanks for that. Seems to go along with what Alastair Goodrum said. OBs for any squadron? That sounds good especially as I'm in the US of A and only get back to England every other year now.

Oooh this is good stuff. Imagine the depth you could create in a campaign based on these records!

RAF Combat Records

Attached is Brahams Combat Report available from here: https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...rts-1939-1945/ .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 24-8-40-Report.jpg   24-8-40-Report-2t.jpg  

The first ones are easier to read. I will have to look into this;also for Bomber Command.

Members who have read this thread: 0