The original Westland Whirlwind
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The original Westland Whirlwind

SOH-CM-2022

And the first payware I ever bought
    The Classic Warbirds Design Team Westland Whirlwind.

I bought it for CFS2 back in 2004. It came with an FS9 version that I never really looked at at the time.

Pulled it back out recently and was re-impressed by how nice the model was and wondered if it would convert to FSX native format.

The answer is yes, quite well.

A couple of gauges need replacing for P3D but for FSX it is a treat.

Gavin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Whirlwind 1.jpg   Whirlwind VC.jpg   Whirlwind Duxford.jpg   Whirlwind parked.jpg  

One of my favourites too - great to hear from someone else who likes the oldies! What's needed to convert it to native FSX (I'm a Luddite technophobe and also a Bear of Very Little Brain....)

Quote Originally Posted by sjrichardson View Post
    One of my favourites too - great to hear from someone else who likes the oldies! What's needed to convert it to native FSX (I'm a Luddite technophobe and also a Bear of Very Little Brain....)
    A program called Model ConverterX and a good working knowledge of that program, also a few other necessary files, a tutorial on the process of converting aircraft to native FSX and hours upon hours of frustration while you attempt to change each line of code and animation. . . . .or someone who is adept at all that to do it for you!
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

To sjrichardson: send me a pm with your email-adress and I'll send you an FSX flyable one with working gauges in VC.

hertzie

Hello all,

I am amazed to read this post, because I too bought this Whirlwind a long time ago, for fs9!
    I had already tried to make it work in <fsx, but it didn't work! Since then I forgot about this episode!
    And after reading this post, I took the plane from FS9 (which I still have !!!) and put it back in FSX, and tried to make it fly:
    -But at the selection, I have a message from FSX: "the visual model cannot be displayed" !!!?
    Hence, my question: how can it be displayed and flyable in FSX?
    - Another question: what is the scenery used by Gavin, and where can I find it?
    Thank you for your help!

Alain

Quote Originally Posted by alain0568 View Post
    Hello all,
    . . . . .-But at the selection, I have a message from FSX: "the visual model cannot be displayed" !!!?
    Hence, my question: how can it be displayed and flyable in FSX?. . . . .Thank you for your help!

Alain
    Read my post above. It's not a simple process.

Current System Specs:

Hello all,

Thank you for your help!

Alain
    Scenery is Duxford, UK (now part of the Imperial War Museum sites)

Do a search on 'Duxford' at the usual places and you should find it

Ttfn

Pete

See my upload on SimViation.

hertzie

SOH-CM-2022
    Hello all,

I am amazed to read this post, because I too bought this Whirlwind a long time ago, for fs9!
    I had already tried to make it work in <fsx, but it didn't work! Since then I forgot about this episode!
    And after reading this post, I took the plane from FS9 (which I still have !!!) and put it back in FSX, and tried to make it fly:
    -But at the selection, I have a message from FSX: "the visual model cannot be displayed" !!!?
    Hence, my question: how can it be displayed and flyable in FSX?
    Thank you for your help!

Alain
    Hi Alain
    The screen shots are of a native FSX conversion that I did using ModelConverterX.
    However the FS9 model should work fine in FSX - I used the FS9 model in FSX to validate some animation. The only reason that I can think of for you getting "the visual model cannot be displayed" is if you accidently installed the CFS2 version.

I wish I could post the conversion but since it is copyrighted payware I don't think that would be acceptable.

The Duxford scenery is from the Airfield Construction Group and is available for free from Justflight
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...WzF-a2e0gYmpnW

Gavin

SOH-CM-2022

Duxford

I should note that ACG Duxford is also available over at Avsim along with a 2013 update.

Gavin

One of the team that originally made this kite is active in the CFS2 forum, might be an idea to ask permission to make this a proper thing? Although it might not be his model, he might know how to ask the right people.

This guy, http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...p/102587-AcWai

If you like this teams work, look up here and the usual places for Gerald 'warbirdlover' Lindell and Andrew 'ACWAI' Wai. There are freeware offerings prior and post their payware days.

http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/tcwdt/index.html

You might recognise the rather nice F-100.

Hi all,

Thank you all for your clarifications!
    I'll go find the Duxford scenery!
    Have a good day

Alain

SOH-CM-2022
    I have received approval to upload the conversion.

However I am having trouble getting the upload to take. I think I am filling in all the fields correctly but when I hit submit the page just sits there.

Using latest Firefox on Win 10

In the meantime I'll post a link to my Onedrive, the FSX model can be downloaded from there
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AmOrUMU7XnTMhGkS...33L4U?e=egKAHl

What a fantastic aircraft! Reminds me quite a bit of the Grumman Skyrocket, albeit not as ungainly looking. Took her up over Cherbourg for a test flight and she's a joy to fly. The only issue I have with the Whirlwind is the rudder animation is reversed, but aside from that, I'm extremely happy to add another old-but-gold, weird n' wacky Warbird to my hangar!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Whirl.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by gavinc View Post

However I am having trouble getting the upload to take. I think I am filling in all the fields correctly but when I hit submit the page just sits there.

In the meantime I'll post a link to my Onedrive, the FSX model can be downloaded from there
    Thanks ever so much for doing this! By the way, every time I've had trouble uploading at SOH it's turned out to be a single image file exceeding the upload size for JPEGs, usually a screenshot.

Hello,

-Nice FSX adaptation of the Whirlwind by Gavin, whom I thank!

Alain
    -

What else is there to say but thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

I LOVE the Whirlwind. Owned the FS9 CWDT back in the days, and now it is back.

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Just want to add my thanks for making this airplane available. I used to fly Kazunori Ito's version many, many years ago and enjoyed that one very much. . .Thanks "gavinc".

Current System Specs:

Wow. I just tried this model and am surprised and delighted by the quality of it. Interior and exterior both look great, and I love the canopy opening animation.

Even better, it also seems to work fine in P3Dv4.5, although I didn't check to see whether every last gauge is showing up. I will wring it out more thoroughly tonight, and post a heads-up to the P3D forum if it checks out.

Thanks and well done.

August

SOH-CM-2022
    @InDeepSchit - let me check the rudder again. I thought I had fixed the animation to turn correctly
    @SpaceWeevil - thanks for the hint, that is probably it
    @K5083 - The gauges should all work in P3D, I have a very slight upgrade to the VC that I will include in the upload

To everyone else, you are very welcome

Gavin

SOH-CM-2023
    Thanks, Have dowloaded, will try her tomorrow as getting late here!
    regards
    Keith

Yes, everything on the panel seems to work fine in P3Dv4.5 and all around it is a lovely plane. I wouldn't mind if the prop discs were a little more transparent in P3D, but otherwise it looks great.

August

One of those aircraft that have charisma and should have had better service life.
    I've got the CWDT version on one of my backup drives, and IIRC the Ito-San release received a decent rework (with permission) by 'Lionheart'.
    No idea what Bill is up to but he did a really nice job on that one.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    . . . . .and IIRC the Ito-San release received a decent rework (with permission) by 'Lionheart'.
    No idea what Bill is up to but he did a really nice job on that one.
    Indeed he did! Flew it off and on for many years before I moved into GA types as a change of pace.

Current System Specs:

Thanks!

Thanks! gavinc.

I am playing on the P3DV5.

goodyzero

Members who have read this thread: 3