Logan Sergeant: The Next American F1 Champion?

Thread: Logan Sergeant: The Next American F1 Champion?

Question Logan Sergeant: The Next American F1 Champion?

He's doing great in F3 now!
    https://www.fiaformula3.com/Standings/Driver

There is more to it than just talent. You need to end up in the right car at the right moment. When you look at the amount of American teams currently present in Formula One you will see it is not really an American sport.....
    Therefore the chances for an American driver to end up in a top (European) team are not very high in my opinion.

Cheers,
    Huub

And there's only been the one American F1 Champion Driver.
    Thoroughly deserved and a true gentleman as well.

OT (sort of)....after watching a few start and finish laps of Spa, it occurred to me that one way of livening up the present day farce is simple, one and only one compound of tyres, no soft, no mediums, no hard.
    Just one compound and that's it.
    Of course wets would still be there, just 'treaded' dry rubber.
    Perhaps the present 'Hard' compound would do it?

The 'Monobrow' is Canadian so he doesn't count.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Icon2

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    There is more to it than just talent. You need to end up in the right car at the right moment. When you look at the amount of American teams currently present in Formula One you will see it is not really an American sport.....
    Therefore the chances for an American driver to end up in a top (European) team are not very high in my opinion.

Cheers,
    Huub
    Oh I never said F1 was an American sport.
    But when you look at the big picture as to what Americans are in the junior/feeder series, it appears that Sergeant is the only one with a chance....

Icon2

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    And there's only been the one American F1 Champion Driver.
    Thoroughly deserved and a true gentleman as well.

OT (sort of)....after watching a few start and finish laps of Spa, it occurred to me that one way of livening up the present day farce is simple, one and only one set of tyres,no soft, no mediums, no hard.
    Just one compound and that's it.
    Perhaps the present 'Hard' compound would do it?

The 'Monobrow' is Canadian so he doesn't count.
    On a side note, It does speak volumes to me that Jimmy Clark said that Dan Gurney was the only driver that he feared....

Hey All,

American F1 champions - are you thinking Mario Andretti 1978 and forgetting Phil Hill 1961 or vice versa?

-Ed-
    My heroes have always been cowboys and they all carried guns-
    and they all rode horses-that is all but one.
    When he went to the rescue he flew a Cessna plane.
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEd View Post
    Hey All,

American F1 champions - are you thinking Mario Andretti 1978 and forgetting Phil Hill 1961 or vice versa?

-Ed-
    My bad!
    I had a brain fart and overlooked Mario!

Always admired Phil Hill, as I said, a gentleman and aside from his WDC title I can't quote his LM victories off the top of my head but there were a lot!

Daniel Sexton Gurney was certainly one who should have taken at least one championship, but IMHO he always seemed to shoot himself in the foot.
    While the Eagle Weslake was a lovely car (still is!) powering it with a 'tool room engine' was a bad idea, each unit was different and that cost him.
    Same as CanAm, he persisted with small block engines when the winners were almost all running big blocks.
    I think that Indy was a diversion for a relatively small outfit, successful but taking the focus away from the main game.

When I say 'small outfit', compared to Lotus and Brabham it was pretty much a one man operation and Gurney tended to tinker.
    He should have been a WDC, especially as he managed a victory in the horrid Porsche 801(?), perhaps if he'd stayed with Brabham it might have been his 2 Championships instead of Denny Hulme's.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Members who have read this thread: 0