Airbase help?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airbase help?

Airbase help?

Done banging my head on the wall.

New airbase. It's in my install...with one slight problem...the groundplane doesn't load. Looked things over several times.

Any ideas?

SOH-CM-2020
    hi Crossram,

I've been modifying a whole swathe of airbases recently. They seem to have three types of files affecting the look of an airbase - texture files (.dds), an .lso file and a .mos file.

In addition, does the airbase facility xml have a section defining the size of the ground plane?. Also runway object files needed but I presume they wouldn't affect the ground plane.

You could try opening the facility file using Richard Eikland's Mission and Facility Editor, where the ground plane will display if you have one. You can find the editor at http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum....php?catid=159

Blog Entries
    Hi Ted,

Sounds like either an issue with the. Mos file or the ground plane dimensions are wrong.

Clive
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

Blog Entries
    Hi Ted,

Sounds like either an issue with the. Mos file or the ground plane dimensions are wrong. Does the mos file look OK?

Clive
    CFS3 Battle of Britain Website: https://cfs3bob.wixsite.com/cfs3-bob
    CFS3 ACC Member & ETO Expansion Group

Quote Originally Posted by crossram View Post
    ... the groundplane doesn't load. ...

1. If the groundplane isn't visible at all but the facility objects are (buildings, vehicles etc.), it's probably a typo in one of the files that references your groundplane .dds or the .dds is missing from your install. Check if the name of your groundplane matches all the references (.mos file, global layer .csv etc.) and the facility .xml file. Typos are easily made - I know your frustration .
    2. If the groundplane is visible but looks weird (blackish, partially visible, tiling etc.) I concur with Clive: there's probably something wrong with your .mos file. The reference to your groundplane .dds might be correct but the other values may not - depending on what you see ingame.

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

Greatly appeciate it, guys!

Yes, I'll go back through everything, and check again. Besides the files naming, one question, since it's been awhile. Is there a prefered .dds w/alpha type used on groundplanes? (Getting old is for the birds!)

Did another 'test' this morning, after reading all the how-tos, and it still won't load...after completely re-making the groundplane.

Greatly appeciate it, guys!

Yes, I'll go back through everything, and check again. Besides the files naming, one question, since it's been awhile. Is there a prefered .dds w/alpha type used on groundplanes? (Getting old is for the birds!)

Did another 'test' this morning, after reading all the how-tos, and it still won't load...after completely re-making the groundplane.
    IIRC, the stock airfields use the DXT3 format.

I don't think it is necessary to redo your complete groundtexture. The problem is unlikely to be the texture itself. But you can check that fairly quickly by painting a texture a single colour and using that as a groundtexture. As soon as you can get that to show you can paint your airfield on top of it. Another approach would be to copy and rename a stock airfield to your new airfield and start replacing all it's parts (textures, facility file etc.) with yours.

A few years ago I made a flowchart with the requirements for a CFS3 airfield. Maybe it is of some use:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CFS3 Airfield Flowchart.pdf  

Thanks!

Appreciate that, Frosty!

Yep, texture is DXT3. Groundplane is 4420m x 4420m. All parts are named the same.

Groundplane still won't load. Not just the texture, but the groundplane itself. More testing...argg.

I did make an object .xml for the airbase. The runways do load, the only hard surface I get, until I get too far out, the tail wheel sinks, and I get to blow-up.

... Groundplane still won't load. Not just the texture, but the groundplane itself. ...

I did make an object .xml for the airbase. The runways do load, the only hard surface I get, until I get too far out, the tail wheel sinks, and I get to blow-up.
    Hmm, maybe we're getting somewhere!
    Groundplane, you say? Do you mean you are creating a 4420m x 4420m plane object in gmax, texture and export that as an ingame object? If so, there's no need for that last step. If you are using gmax to create your airfield, and you do have a textured plane as a base for this airfield in the gmax file, the object itself isn't required in CFS3. If you name and link the plane correctly in your gmax file, the groundplane is exported as a reference string in the .xml.
    If you think it helps, you can send me the gmax file with just the groundplane and a single other object (runway, building, vehicle etc.) for me to look over.

SOH-CM-2020
    I had airbases appear (all the buildings, etc) without showing the textures, when there was a problem with the .mos file, as Clive mentioned.

Hmm. First, I'm not working with a .mos file. Maybe later. When I made Station 121, no .mos file used.The airbase 'object' .xdp, is like the other airbase .xdps, though I've only added it a few days ago. No textured groundplane, in either case. I've also tried a one color .dds, with no alpha, same results.

Take a look at my entries, to see if you spot anything...

Global_Layer -airbase,Gilze,Rijen,N51*34'20.3997,E4*56'25.8000,0 .0000,15.0353,Gilze-Rijen,gilr142,,,Netherlands,Gilze-Rijen,,,,,,,,no

cutscenes.xml (under correct country)

<airbase_Gilze_Rijen>
    <Cutscene FileName="a_pregame_3.xml"/>
    </airbase_Gilze_Rijen>

qclocations.

GlobalLayer="CFS3Europe1943"/>
    </City>
    <City Name="Gilze-Rijen">
    <Airbase ID="gilr142" Lat="N51*34'20.3997" Lon="E4*56'25.8000" Terrain="CFS3Europe" GlobalLayer="CFS3Europe1943"/>

Thanks for the offer, Frosty! I'll zip 'em up, and get it to you. Going to be something simple, but what??Appreciate the help guys! (Need all I can get!)
    Last edited by crossram; August 30th, 2020 at 03:16. Reason: straighten it out

Dang! What happened there. Guess cut/paste isn't liked. Hope you guys can make it out.

Fixed it.

Guess I can't send the .zip, via private message. I'll do it here.

Starting to wonder about the qclocations entry.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I am interested with what you are dong with that particular fliegerhorst as Ted and I have been working on that and other NJG bases. Joost id the expert who has helped me a lot with Deelen and Venlo in particular. I always bug him! PM if you want to discuss more.

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Sure thing, Mongoose.

For many years, I have wanted, and planned on Gilze-Rijen and Venlo. I've gathered a bit of info, on both, though not everything I need.
    Awhile back, you tried to send me stuff on Venlo, but for some reason, some of it I couldn't open. Anyway, I have enough on Gilze, to get a start. (Tired of the one size fits all airbases...why I made Station 121, still in the works.)

And, I gotta admit, I'm not a fan of the structures of the CFS3 stock airbases. The way they show, isn't anything to brag about. Gilze-Rijen sports camo runways.
    I can always show you some of the pieces I've made, for either. In private messages, no attachments??

Update on my personal probs. Groundplane does load, but not the texture. Think my .dds files w/alpha, is wrong. I'm using the .dds converter in PSP, but my settings could be wrong.

Here is a sample...one of the Venlo buildings, I made years ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Venlo tower.jpg  

Guess my .dds file ain't cuttin' it. That's probably why it won't load. Took a look in the ImageTool, but not clear on how to convert a .bmp, to .dds.

Dumb old guy!

Ah! Neat! Just the job!

I was having issues with that part of the map when I was trying to overlay a runway light facility in a mission file over the Gilze-Rijen airfield. There seemed to be some kind of glitch with Lat/Lon coordinates. Probably my computer, I know. But you may want to try installing your facility at another location just to see if it shows up.

Thanks!

Pretty sure the problem is, the .dds. Maybe not the right format, right converter, or both. I've made plenty of .dds files, but no alpha.

Been way too long, making one with alpha. 0,0,0 (black) is what's in the texture. Probably need a slap on the back of my head, and a simple how-to.

For any Alpha layer remember:

White reveals, and Black conceals.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by swpierce View Post
    I was having issues with that part of the map when I was trying to overlay a runway light facility in a mission file over the Gilze-Rijen airfield. There seemed to be some kind of glitch with Lat/Lon coordinates. Probably my computer, I know. But you may want to try installing your facility at another location just to see if it shows up.

My guess on those runway lights, would be to add them into the airbase facility itself.
    In my Keroman base, I was looking at adding in Festung Lorient, all the flak units surrounding the area. But, everyone of them are way off the groundplanes. Dumb idea, though it can work. As a work around, I (painfully) made a separate facility for Festung Lorient. Make a mission to Keroman, then, hand-edit the mission, adding in Festung Lorient. You might try something like that. Those missions with the Festung are hot and heavy! And it only has a third of the units that were there.

Yup yup on the black alpha. Still don't show, meaning the groundplane texture. I'll toss in, I have that .dds in the same location, for the other added airbases, and they show fine.

Find anything, Frosty?

I don't think there's any issues in the .dds. Looking like a path problem...the sim can't find the texture. I don't find anything in the files naming.

Is it whiskey time, yet?

Find anything, Frosty? ...
    No, nothing yet - I hope I can find the time tonight. Right now I am occupied with some pressing RL stuff ...

Guess my .dds file ain't cuttin' it. That's probably why it won't load. Took a look in the ImageTool, but not clear on how to convert a .bmp, to .dds.

Dumb old guy!
    Just use paint.net for that, or Gimp for more complicated stuff. I used Gimp for all my layered 'art' work.

Members who have read this thread: 0