Manfred Jahn's freeware in MSFS ?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Manfred Jahn's freeware in MSFS ?

Manfred Jahn's freeware in MSFS ?

I'm not sure whether this has already been asked - apologies if so. I'm wondering whether any of Manfred's freeware aircraft, particularly the wonderful C-47, will be appearing in MSFS. The B-50 would also be very welcome. Perhaps the other members of the team could provide some information.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
    I'm not sure whether this has already been asked - apologies if so. I'm wondering whether any of Manfred's freeware aircraft, particularly the wonderful C-47, will be appearing in MSFS. The B-50 would also be very welcome. Perhaps the other members of the team could provide some information.

Thanks in advance.
    I will try this afternoon with the howto that I have publish here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...=1#post1234632

So long ...

+1 for his C-47 PBR .
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Some people have succeeded with the C47, for me it CTDs though I have a clue as to fix so hopefully by tomorrow...

I do have a VERY nice C46 working and a Lockheed Model 10 Electra and a BN Islander so it's well worth the effort if you like older tin.

Cheers
    Keith
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails c46.jpg  

Hi,

I just finished the C47 conversion and did the first test.
    The plane is seen in the manager, it launches and after 15 to 20 sec CDT

I just did a second test and I managed to take off ... before my cat jumped on my desk, moved the mouse and the C47 hit a house on the edge of the runway!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MSFS-C47.jpg  

Which version did you convert? A true FSX version or a P3D version? For example the "windscreen.ddl" of the P3D version could be a problem?

Marcel

PS
    Should we not notify Manfred and Javis for this conversion proces? Atlease that they approve.

Quote Originally Posted by mgr View Post
    Which version did you convert? A true FSX version or a P3D version? For example the "windscreen.ddl" of the P3D version could be a problem?

Marcel

PS
    Should we not notify Manfred and Javis for this conversion proces? Atlease that they approve.
    From what I gather is the P3D models will not work in the conversions. Only native FSX mdl's.

Also, say this on discord.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PSA.jpg  

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

I have the C-47 working to a fair degree in MSFS. To get around the CTD I had to delete all unusable gauges (DLL,CAB,GAU) from the panel.cfg and panel folder, leaving only the 3D gauges working. This means no radios or popup windows are working. From what I have learned so far, what Asobo meant by XML gauges was the XML code that accompanies 3D gauges. CAB files and XML gauges using BMP's definitely don't work. As to the question asked earlier about PBR: this is not possible because MSFS won't recognize P3D models, only FSX models. I used version 3.14 for my conversion. Before anyone asks, I will not be uploading it. This is because I don't have permission from Manfred and Jan to do so and because it is incomplete without radios. This was simply a convenient candidate for me to experiment with. If Manfred and Jan want what I have to build upon it, they are more than welcome to it.

Yep, I think only Manfred can do the original conversion (or with his permission). He has rights to do so, it's his model and we must have to wait for his work.
    I dont know he has MSFS or not yet. His the last post was posted in 9th July. We must wait. Maybe he will add new features for MSFS also (like active and animated checklist ect) .

I'd give my left pinkie toe to get his L1649 into the new sim!
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

I'd give my left pinkie toe to get his L1649 into the new sim!
    It would never work. The model is FS9 and none of the gauges would show up even if you converted it to FSX native.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    Yep, I think only Manfred can do the original conversion (or with his permission). He has rights to do so, it's his model and we must have to wait for his work.
    I dont know he has MSFS or not yet. His the last post was posted in 9th July. We must wait. Maybe he will add new features for MSFS also (like active and animated checklist ect) .
    Yes, that's pretty much the answer I was looking for - thanks. I haven't got MSFS yet, as I'm waiting to buy a completely new PC to run it. However, I am watching the news and developments, and am very much looking forward to flying in it. I hope MJ does rework his collection, particularly the C-47, which will be every bit as essential in MSFS as it has been in P3D.

Quote Originally Posted by edakridge View Post
    It would never work. The model is FS9 and none of the gauges would show up even if you converted it to FSX native.
    It's probably the only model that I'd pay for to get into my sim. Maybe the base wireframe could be used as a starting point so that it didn't have to be completely done from scratch...
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

I was surprised that someone added Milton's Howard 500 in MSFS! The cabin is there but no VC at the moment. I guess there are others that like the old bird as much as I do. Now that's historical flight sim aircraft still in use... WOW!

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

It needs to be remembered that only FSX legacy models can be ported. P3D models will not work. Personally, I believe not having access to PBR materials and other items like gauges etc. is not going to to the sim any good. It defeats the purpose of the game. To bring new technology to heighten the experience and immersion. I get that people want to maximise on their original purchases but honestly, I think people will just be disappointed with the results. I'm just waiting for the second people start asking us for "conversion packages" to make our FSX product compatible. Sorry but that is not happening. We are only developing dedicated MSFS product and P3D product. We will continue with Ctrl/Ezy products for FSX but for how much longer, we are not sure. On that subject, Javelin will be for all three sims. For that please visit our Facebook pages, you might be pleasantly surprised....

Looking forward to the Javelin...but until then China Doll is far from disappointing!
    It's not so much maximising return on investment, I'd just MUCH rather fly scruffy noisy old planes than shiny new ones with electronic cockpits.
    Cheers
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    It defeats the purpose of the game.
    Not sure I follow that. Sure I get lost revenue, but I'm not so fussy as to not use a ported FSX aircraft. And from what I've seen, they look great.

Well MSFS is designed to bring a new level of realism, depth and immersion to the hobby. It does that by using new techniques and technology, requiring more advanced models. All I am saying is that I do not see the point in investing in such a game to populate it with old tech which will not sit well in the environment or alongside other dedicated aircraft. In the end it doesn't matter, as with all previous versions, people will do what they want to do.

Having been an alpha hamster I've flown all the default planes I want to for a while...I bought MSFS for it's world-wide orthoscenery plus AI autogen and the weather engine.
    So the cream of the legacy models will keep me happy until you guys produce something new that floats my boat
    Flying through Laos in an old round engine plane sits well with me...

I also took part in the tests on the Alpha versions and was able to see how Asobo was working.

For me wearing my old FSX aircraft on MSFS allows me to see from a technical point of view how it behaves. It's a kind of laboratory which aims to see with little cost the behavior of 3D, how the textures are treated and try to apprehend where the potential problems will be in case of creation of the same plane in native MSFS.

For those who have their own sources, the 3D, whether compiled in MDL or glTF, does not change much, a few hours of work to adapt the animations ...
    Most of the work is on the textures that will have to be modified to meet the requirements of the PBR textures used in MSFS.

Moreover, MSFS is still under development and the SDK is far from being finished, so there is a good chance that whole sections of the SDK will be reviewed and modified, if this is the case: why rush to have to review our creations in a few months?

So these portages are for the moment a laboratory and simply a laboratory

Quote Originally Posted by mgr View Post

Marcel

PS
    If Manfred approves i'd surely do too of course. The thing is though that i deffinately agree with Bazz when he says that it would be kind of a waste to put 'old technique aircraft models' aka FSX models, into our shiny brandnew virtual flying world. They'd probabely stand out like a sore thumb against all the totally amazing looking dedicated MSFS models. I mean, who'd want that ??... Sneaking you and your sorry looking plane in on the sly hoping that nobody sees you ? Hey, everybody look at that !!....

Nah, beautiful things will come to those who wait. Give it time to see what the possibillities are. Lets not rush in with half baked 'port over' models from a long gone FS era just because we can't wait for a dedicated amazing looking MSFS version.

I can only say i'll try to follow Manfred wherever he might be going.

Cheers,
    Jan

Blog Entries
    Even a bowl of Onion Soup looks delicious when you sprinkle a bit of parsley on top. What I'm seeing is a lot of disappointed people, being disappointed at the incredible lack of depth in functionality. The A320Neo for example has so many overhead switches that dont work it isnt funny, and this philosophy of "shove the throttles all the way and fly" Is rather insipid. The love, care and dedication we put into our work for FSX just isnt there. Its all been slimed over by makeup and fancy bells that only work half the time. We NEED the FSX aircraft. Even old and in need of a new paint job, they are cherished and essential simply because we gave a damn, and they work.. I'd Love to see mine and Roberts P-61, Or Lionhearts Pasped, or any of a hundred other FSX aircraft brought up to date and put in game..

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    If Manfred approves i'd surely do too of course. The thing is though that i deffinately agree with Bazz when he says that it would be kind of a waste to put 'old technique aircraft models' aka FSX models, into our shiny brandnew virtual flying world. They'd probabely stand out like a sore thumb against all the totally amazing looking dedicated MSFS models. I mean, who'd want that ??... Sneaking you and your sorry looking plane in on the sly hoping that nobody sees you ? Hey, everybody look at that !!....

Nah, beautiful things will come to those who wait. Give it time to see what the possibillities are. Lets not rush in with half baked 'port over' models from a long gone FS era just because we can't wait for a dedicated amazing looking MSFS version.

I can only say i'll try to follow Manfred wherever he might be going.

Cheers,
    Jan
    I tend to disagree in some parts.
    There are a few good old treasures thats worth to take a look at it,
    because they don't look too shabby in some case IMHO.

If they are fully flyable, so why not?
    And how long will it taken to build such model from scratch ?

Cheers
    Ulrich

I have to admit that this MSFS hangar looks brilliant, simply .
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Am I wrong in thinking it'll only be a matter of time before a library of 3D gauges exist to replace the ones that have been 2D for so long?

Too me, that's the only sticky point. There's tons of really nice FSX Native models out there. And I imagine A2A is hard at work...

Members who have read this thread: 0