Ivan's me109 retexture

Thread: Ivan's me109 retexture

Ivan's me109 retexture

Two textures here for Ivan's me109. One is his Erica retexture and the the other is a yellow nosed me109 texture that I'm using in the Bob campaigns.The textures were compiled from il2 clod screenshots and reworked to create these two textures.Both textures are in the zip file and I've included Ivans model which is currently textured with the Erica texture.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/4wibhl...+retex.7z/file

Just one issue:I could'nt find the original grey texture used on the exhaust cover .

http://i.postimg.cc/ds1vrpSJ/bandica...-40-30-231.jpg

http://i.postimg.cc/08ZP6Pnt/bandica...-01-17-273.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bandicam-2020-08-26-13-01-17-273.jpg   bandicam-2020-08-26-13-40-30-231.jpg  
    Last edited by rince33; August 26th, 2020 at 09:20.

Yellow Nose

Hi Rince33,

I can't see the images that are included with your post but I presume they are the same as what was included with the texture archive. I haven't had a chance to load them into the simulator yet, but from the screenshots, they look pretty good.

Attached is a marked up copy of one of your screenshots.
    I believe the issue you are running into is that the little fairing covering the first exhaust stack on each side is gray.
    That might have been an untextured part that I missed when reworking the model. There are quite a few untextured pieces in this model but most of them are probably of no consequence in a repaint. I will look into this and see how painful it would be to correct.

Adding the mapping of the piece is easy. Redoing the animation and SCASM stuff will likely take an evening or two.
    This won't happen for a few days. I am in the middle of some flight model tuning for the La-5FN at the moment and don't actually have much time during the day for the next few days. (The flight model testing and tuning usually begins at Midnight at the earliest.)

There are a few other issues that I can see in the new textures:

Note that there is a light coloured leading edge on the Starboard Wing which is most visible on the Leading Edge Slat.
    There isn't the same or at least not quite the same width light border on the Port Wing.

The Squadron Symbol for "Schlageter" is reversed on the Port side.

The Gun Trough for the Cowl MG doesn't really match up with the piece in the model.

There should not be an Octane symbol behind the cockpit on the Port side because there is no Fuel Filler on that side.

If you are working from screenshots or textures of an accurate Me 109E model, then you might have noticed a couple things.
    I had originally spent the time remapping textures because I thought that it would make it easy to just take a good profile picture and cut it up and use it for a new texture set with very little effort once the mapping was completed.
    The big problem is that this idea only works if the shape of the model is "accurate" and this one is definitely not.
    The angles and proportions are off in several areas. The worst of which is the angle of the entire tail which is substantially too low.
    You might have noticed that some of my original panel lines especially in the nose do not seem to match up with the pieces of the model. This is because the pieces of the model are not in the correct places.
    Another messed up area that I do not intend to correct is the belly. The real 109 doesn't have a monster groove there but this one does.

This isn't really a great model. It is just my attempt at removing the biggest boogers from a model that I wasn't planning on building from scratch.

- Ivan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails YellowNose.jpg  

Erika

Here is where Erika is from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET5F-XahpQo

Nice catchy little tune....
    The aeroplane doesn't carry the name "Anna Honey" because it really isn't one of mine; It is just a heavily modified Richard Osborne project and I claim only the modifications.

- Ivan.

I had already fixed one of the issues you highlighted but too many textures open on my desktop and working too quickly makes for bad results.

I fixed those and found some others. the underside of the aicraft specifically the wings and fuselage behind the wings has been cleaned up.

The area above the front fuselage gunports was not originally mapped properly causing my gunport texture to stretch across the top. It took me a long time to position it so that there was limited stretching. I have adjusted it slightly here and it will have to do. The other alternative is to remove the 2d gunport from the yellow nosed texture which will not look much better .

I have updated both texture sets.

retexture version2 here:http://www.mediafire.com/file/u1vf4o...tex+v2.7z/file

http://i.postimg.cc/c4thtR3s/bandica...-30-24-633.jpg

http://i.postimg.cc/FHtZyYb0/bandica...-33-58-285.jpg

I have win7 and use firefox(updated) as my browser which causes limited post editing options when editing sim-outhouse posts. Sentences appear as one long string with no spaces between them, so I have to use internet explorer which sometimes doesn't save my images properly, hence no images appearing in previous posts. Saving images as a link seems to work better for now.
    This only happens when I post on sim-outhouse.

Hi Rince33,

I would hardly call the results thus far "Bad". To me they look pretty good.
    I should have caught the non-textured fairing in front of the exhausts. Last night I thought of a quicker way to do a fix but was too tired to concentrate and went to sleep earlier than usual. Didn't really get anything significant done.

This morning, I mostly spent the time testing and tuning the Ailerons and Rudder of the La-5FN.
    This beast is pretty agile even thought it has been toned down by quite a lot. I probably spent about as much time working on a spreadsheet to compare Elevator, Aileron and Rudder forces than I did actual tuning though.
    One very odd thing is that I can't seem to get the Overspeed Warning to show up.

With the Cowl Gun Troughs, you are finding yet another of the not so well done things in this model.
    My principle with edits to this model and others is to try to improve things in general but that doesn't mean that I ever intended to fix everything. This was never intended to be the ultimate Me 109E for CFS1.
    The proper approach to a Gun Trough at such a shallow angle as to make texturing difficult is to apply a texture to the Gun Trough Part itself. That is how the same problem was handled for my Ki 61-Id. This was not done for this project. Since it was not done, the best solution might just be to not texture it at all.

By the way, Have you checked out other Me 109E and their ground handling? On many of them it is near impossible to taxi them with any degree of precision to stay on taxi ways. Others have steerable tail wheels while the real aeroplane did not.

- Ivan.

I haven't really spent much time flying different Me109 models and still haven't got around to landing your model. Now that I'm done with the 109 re texture I'll probably fly it a bit.

Hi Rince33,

I did a bit of messing around and found that I did overlook the exhaust fairings when reworking the textures on this aeroplane.
    This is probably because all the other untextured pieces were tan and not gray because they were the topside desert scheme colours and I simply did not notice and it did not really affect what I was trying to do. Texturing the piece isn't difficult but the rest of it is a bit time consuming. I figure as long as I am at it, I will probably also edit the colours to add a touch of blue and substitute a colour in the palette.

What would you suggest for colour? References say RLM 65 Hellblau but I am thinking RLM 75 or RLM 76 look a bit better.
    As long as I am editing palettes, I might as well add a few more RLM colours. I just need to pick the correct ones to be useful for other German projects.

Attached are a couple screenshots showing the contrast in the cowl guns with the Ki 61 and a better way to do the slots at the front of the cowl. I was pretty dismissive when I textured those. You did a much better job.
    The screenshot of Emil shows that the Exhaust Fairing is now textured but the rest of the work such as animation, collision bubble, and SCASM fixes still needs to be done.

- Ivan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TexturedExhaustFairing.jpg   Ki61_CowlGuns.jpg   Macchi_CowlScoops.jpg  

Hi Ivan, So the exhaust texture is what is called a procedural texture, the base model or model part colouring if I understand correctly, and had no specific 2d texture mapped to it ?

I remember the 'Erica' song from the great German prisoner of war movie 'The Mckenzie Break', it gives me goosebumps as I watch it again. I last saw this movie as a young lad and the song left quite an impression. https://youtu.be/BUdz2NAPIys?t=323

Quote Originally Posted by rince33 View Post
    Hi Ivan, So the exhaust texture is what is called a procedural texture, the base model or model part colouring if I understand correctly, and had no specific 2d texture mapped to it ?
    Hello Rince33,
    I have never heard the term "procedural texture", but I think we are both describing the same thing. If a model is using BMP textures, the easy way to tell if a piece has a texture mapped to it is to look at it in the dark. The easiest way to do this is to go from a Pacific airfield to a European airfield and back or perhaps it is the other way around. The BMP textures will "glow in the dark". R8 / ?AF textures will not nor will untextured pieces. The Antenna Mast, Propeller Blades, and Landing Gear Struts are all untextured.
    Perhaps there is one exception this this general rule: There are certain colours in the palette that are "Night Lit" colours that are intended to be used for lights when they are switched on that will also glow in the dark.

I also edited the standard palette to replace a couple colours above 127 (192 and 193) to add RLM 65 Hellblau and a slightly darker version to replace 23 and 20 that are the gray substitutes I have been using for RLM 65. I can't quite remember how to save off the palette in GIMP but once I do that, I can edit all the textures for the 109E-4.

By the way, if you compare the textures for this reworked 109E-4 with other versions derived from Richard Osborne's AFX, you may notice that many pieces now share a common texture file now. In the original version, the Exhaust Stacks used up an entire texture file and I did not think that made sense. Why should Exhaust Stacks allow more detailed paint than Fuselage pieces? I didn't fix everything in that respect because it simply wasn't worth the effort to try to reduce the number of texture files.

- Ivan.

Update Uploaded

Hello Rince33,

I just finished uploading an updated version to the Library. The updates to the MDL turned out to be easier than I thought because I cheated and took a shortcut. I also made an attempt at RLM 65 Hellblau.

This MDL should give you a better canvas to work with.

- Ivan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Me109E4_LandingFlare.jpg  

Hi Ivan. Just looking at the screenshot the blue is a big improvement over the white and the exhaust section looks good, though what happened to the squadron marking? I'm sticking with stock models for now in the campaign because of better visibility at a distance due to darker lower lod textures. Good aircraft visibility is one of the reasons why I'm enjoying the Cfs1 campaigns so much. I'm busy lightening the sea colour at the moment to improve visibility when attacking German bombers from above, the sea is a bit too dark imho.

Hello Rince33,

Guess I was in too much of a hurry this time. The version of textures I edited was from my Laptop.
    Obviously it wasn't the latest. It is also missing the Octane Triangle.....
    The problem is that I don't happen to have a simulator installed on the Laptop and the Development PC doesn't have the processing power to handle GIMP so I need to split the work between two computers.

I will correct the upload today. It is pretty easy to do.
    In the meantime, the new released model is not going to change to any great degree and it is sufficient for you to use as a canvas which was the point of the update anyway. Let's see how your yellow nose paint scheme looks without the gray exhausts.

I'll be busy for a few hours, so the fix won't happen until tonight at the earliest.

- Ivan.

Corrected Textures

I just finished uploading the corrected textures.
    Hopefully I didn't screw up something else this time.

As I fly this 109E more, I am getting more used to how it handles on landing.
    At this point, I have probably destroyed enough of them in landing and take-off accidents to equip an entire Geschwader.

- Ivan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Me109E4_LandingFlare.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 1