This will be the demise of P3D - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This will be the demise of P3D

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    Ever wondered why you can't and won't get P3D for XBox?
    Because XBox is a game platform.

The P3D EULA specifically says that it is supposed to be used "for purposes other than personal/consumer entertainment."

P3D isn't in competition with MSFS. So it doesn't matter that it isn't the same. And as Baz said, it will have relative consequences for P3D users upgrading for MSFS! Also, I heard a rumor that P3D might be switching over to Unreal Engine. If that happens....muahahahaha......hehehehe.....

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    P3D isn't in competition with MSFS. So it doesn't matter that it isn't the same. And as Baz said, it will have relative consequences for P3D users upgrading for MSFS! Also, I heard a rumor that P3D might be switching over to Unreal Engine. If that happens....muahahahaha......hehehehe.....
    What an awesome video. I would love to see P3D use this. I was thinking earlier this morning how P3D with MSFS graphics would be a killer flight sim.

On a side note. I remember playing some of the early Unreal games and like genre with one of my sons. He would navigate and I shoot em. We made a good team. My wife could never understand the father-son bonding. Today, unless the game has a God mode, where I can just go through and see the cool effects, I won't even consider it.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post

Interesting idea. I'll just say the FSX based world is quite dated now and they better do something drastic. It's primary users I'm sure are already looking at FS2020 with great enthusiasm. Which is the private sector training schools and the military. However, once FS2020 has all it's bugs worked out and it's addon base expands as does the sim. It's realistic world and dynamics may have training schools switch from P3D to FS2020. They will compete against each other. Realistically, Lockheed had no sim competition really aside from X-Plane, which lacked a lot of features in comparison. Not anymore. X-Plane I believe has surpassed P3D in some respects, but not all. That will likely change I'd assume with the next iteration of the sim. P3D is going to basically go from the upper tear option to the mid-range or low end of the flight sim realm real quick. Also, with the rising power of DCS, other countries have opted to move to that platform for familiarization training instead of using P3D. It's far more realistic in terms of aircraft subsystems and flight dynamics for military aircraft.

I know big flight schools like Embry-Riddle are already looking at switching from P3D to FS2020 in the near future. When I was going to school there at the Prescott campus, they had 2 sim labs on campus that ran P3D, the flight and ATC sim lab 10-25 computers in each lab, then they also used it at the flight line ops center in the motion sims for single and twin engine. They were looking at adding helos when I left. That's just the Prescott Campus, not Daytona. which has more pilots to train. Daytona Campus has around 900 flight students a year. Prescott is around 400 or so now. That's who Lockheed pitches most of their products to, they aren't really focused on the individual home simmer's wants.

Aerial Firefighting Aircraft Development & Simulation Group
    Simulated Air Tanker Operations Facebook! <<click
    SATO Youtube Channel! <<click

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    I am hoping it will not kill P3D or any development of aircraft as I, probably like many others cannot afford to upgrade their computers to run MSFS2020. The money I have invested in P3D V5 is a good reason not to upgrade just to have another sim. Long live P3D.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Be patient Pat, the dust will settle.

Hi,
    The craze for this simulator is due to the quality of its representation of the world. For the rest, it is very incomplete and particularly in the field of operations with aircraft carriers!
    JMC

Quote Originally Posted by gastonj View Post
    Hi,
    The craze for this simulator is due to the quality of its representation of the world. For the rest, it is very incomplete and particularly in the field of operations with aircraft carriers!
    JMC
    Right on!
    Great for sight seeing but at this point that's it.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Actually, MSFS has support for everything that FSX did. Asobo have removed very little and added a great deal. Even a cursory glance through the SDK reveals active variables for carrier operations - in many ways things are much the same, it's just that the simulator does not yet have airplanes that use those functions, nor an aircraft carrier from which to launch from ( I'm working on it ).

Asobo, I can assure you, are only just getting started, believe it or not. I'm fortunate enough to be in a position to speak to them most days and they're hugely supportive. Jets, helicopters, VR and everything are all coming to MSFS, as they've publicly pointed out.

I don't think P3D will die out any more than X-Plane will, they'll just have to improve to make themselves attractive to simulation fans. MSFS is indeed built for the X-Box in principal, it shows up well in the UI how they're thinking of the console gamer as much as the PC user, but I've had more fun in this simulator in the past few months than I have had in Prepar3D since it first arrived, and far less technical issues as well. I'm all in
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

Of course we will see ... what will be a priority at Microsoft will be depending on the market ..The "general public" gaming market is very versatile unlike that of simulation.
    Trade policy with regard to additions will be critical to its success. I have no doubt that the creators of payware are vigilant on this! Some are smelling dollars (lol)!
    As far as I'm concerned, this policy will be decisive in my choice to be a customer or not!

JMC

I've been doing this flight sim thing a long time and am actually a vr guy. But I haven't flown in anything but 2020 since it's purchase. As someone else has said, all the aircraft "feel" like A2A planes in P3D, I feel no need for an add-on aircraft yet and I have thousands (I'm not kidding) in P3D v4.5. I took a flight from Twin Mountain in NH last night and basically flew south down route 93 then east on the Kankcamangus highway then north on Bear notch road, then west on route 302 back to where I started. I've spent a lot of time in this beautiful area skiing, hiking, and motorcycle riding and am very familiar with it. I FELT LIKE I WAS REALLY THERE. All the landmarks I know were there from fire roads to ski slopes. Yea, this is a flight sim. The flight experience while seeing all this felt as it did years ago when I was flying in real life. I actually flew into Twin Mountain in a buddy's 172 and we flew around the area many times as I did myself when I was flying as a teen out of Beverly, MA. Many times I headed up to this area because of it's beauty. I did find some elevation issues with some of the rivers along 93 but even that did not ruin my immersion. Anyone know how to report these?

Word of caution, if you're a long time simmer like me, be prepared for an adjustment as this is nothing like any sim I have used before.

I can only imagine how this is going to be once vr comes along.

Just wanted to pass along my initial impressions.

LouP

Quote Originally Posted by DC1973 View Post
    Actually, MSFS has support for everything that FSX did. Asobo have removed very little and added a great deal. Even a cursory glance through the SDK reveals active variables for carrier operations - in many ways things are much the same, it's just that the simulator does not yet have airplanes that use those functions, nor an aircraft carrier from which to launch from ( I'm working on it ).

Asobo, I can assure you, are only just getting started, believe it or not. I'm fortunate enough to be in a position to speak to them most days and they're hugely supportive. Jets, helicopters, VR and everything are all coming to MSFS, as they've publicly pointed out.

I don't think P3D will die out any more than X-Plane will, they'll just have to improve to make themselves attractive to simulation fans. MSFS is indeed built for the X-Box in principal, it shows up well in the UI how they're thinking of the console gamer as much as the PC user, but I've had more fun in this simulator in the past few months than I have had in Prepar3D since it first arrived, and far less technical issues as well. I'm all in

Agreed. I've had more fun in MSFS then I've ever had in FSX or P3D....EVER. Which is crazy, because I'm very much a military aircraft guy. But man, has Bush flying really come into it's own here! Soooo much fun! landing in places that look authentically real it's deceptive is just another thing altogether!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Members +
    HB, Ca.-Seattle,Wa.-Fujieda-Shizuoka-Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    Flight Simulator 2020 is expected to generate 3 billion in PC hardware sales!

Not going to happen with P3D.

The challenge of running the game in high quality should stimulate hardware sales and move around $3 billion worth of hardware in three years, according to market research firm Jon Peddie Research (JPR). The company made an estimate of how players will spend to run the game based on different user-profiles and also on the possibilities offered by the simulator. According to JPR, simulation enthusiasts tend to spend more and so the movement of money around the new Flight Simulator should be impressive.

Over the next three years, the company predicts that approximately $ 2.6 billion will be spent on specific hardware to run Flight Simulator to enhance the gaming experience. The bet takes into account the game's estimated sales of 2.7 million units of the simulator in the same period.

The company notes, however, that the value moved by Flight Simulator should be even higher over the entire product lifecycle. JPR also does not consider the numbers of the Xbox Game Pass, a PC subscription service. According to Ted Pollak, analyst at JPR, the reason for so much investment in Flight Simulator with the requirements of the simulator, where we will need a more powerful PC.

In addition to the fact that the basic components of PCs have to be more powerful and consequently more expensive, the company analyst also takes into account the additional hardware. According to Pollak, simulation enthusiasts often invest in additional equipment, including monitors and other devices, to ensure a more immersive experience.

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/ga...are-sales.html
    Hardware sales that for the most part Microsoft won't reap from. The hardware however will be used for both P3D and MSFS 2020. A win for both.
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit 22H2 Build 19045.4123
    Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 (BIOS F-10)
    Core i7 3770K
    G-Skill Trident X 32GB DDR3 CL7-8-8-24
    Asus RTX 2070 OC 8GB
    1TB Crucial MX500 SSD
    1TB RAW Mushkin SSD
    1TB RAW Mushkin SSD
    2TB PNY CS900 SSD
    LG Blue Ray Burner DL
    Rosewill mid tower Challenger
    Corsair RM 750 PSU
    Inateck KU5211 USB 3.2 Adapter
    LTERIVER PCE-G2S4 PCIe 4port SATA card
    X56 HOTAS
    Grassmonkey Joseph II Puck
    Oculus Quest 2
    TM 2x MFD Cougar
    T-Mobile Home Internet 5G (KDV21)

3 billion in hardware sales Wow that's huge. Unlike the 21 billion contract for LM to provide F16 sim software.Just that contract alone will outweigh MS private sales. LM isn't going to fall on its sword as every "gamer" is preaching. Baz is 100% correct MSFS is marketed as a game. You're telling me the FAA and equivalents are going to accept Xbox hours?Just like xplane didnt die with FSX or every version of LM.TF you love coming into the p3d forums and hacking on P3D without even owning it, lots of substance in your observational claims

P3D will be kept alive as long as it serves a purpose for LM.

LM has defined P3D as a vehicle simulator, and not only a flight simulator. This opens up many possibilities in the commercial simulation market. It also got a well-proven SDK and many developers. The armed forces seem to like its flexibility, integrated VR support, and DIS protocol (Distributed Interactive Simulation). Visually it is a giant leap ahead of many aging simulator platforms used by the military, schools, and private companies. And it is highly adaptable.

"Academic" users have probably been vital in developing this product for a wider commercial audience. So I would be surprised if they shut it down because of MSFS.

But I don't worry. I will enjoy MSFS2020, P3D, X-Plane, LockOn, Fishing in the Barents Sea, or any simulator that can keep me entertained

Rotorhub

Quote Originally Posted by rotorhub View Post

But I don't worry. I will enjoy MSFS2020, P3D, X-Plane, LockOn, Fishing in the Barents Sea, or any simulator that can keep me entertained

Rotorhub
    10000% spot on

Members who have read this thread: 0